Some Sober Thoughts On Conor McGregor (TLDR)

Positive: McGregor is a fantastic striker, and a better grappler than he gets credit for.
Negative: He has gotten preferential treatment from the UFC, without which he likely never would have been lightweight champion, nor gotten the Mayweather fight.

Conor was being out grappled by Mendes As well.

Mendes had one of the best double legs in the sport and Conor had been preparing Aldo. Still dusted him in two.

Let's see how smart you are.

Does the Max of today beat that skinny kid Max of yesterday that Conrat beat?
Sure but so what. Max lost two times to Poirier who conor KOed and just lost against the aussie. Max beat aldo which is great but took way longer to do it.

Since the announcement of Conor vs. Cowboy, Sherdog has been inundated with tons of threads about Conor McGregor... a lot by haters, a lot by nut huggers, but very few threads started by fans in between those extremes. That's where I come in. I admittedly LOVE watching Conor, but don't always pull for him.
Some positive and negative points I'd like to make during this divisive period in Sherdog history:

- Conor is (IMO) one of the greatest talents to ever enter the UFC, and is an all time great fighter. His fights vs. Aldo and Alvarez are legendary.
- Conor is also one of the worst champions the sport has ever seen. Not in terms of skill (like Serra or Bisping), but because of his insatiable desire to chase bigger things and ignore the obligations he has as champion of the 145/155 weight class.

- Conor has done many things outside the cage that are reprehensible
- I watch athletes for what they do during competition, I do not know any UFC fighter personally, and i'm not here to judge them for their actions outside of competition. That's above my pay grade.

- Conor's offensive ground game is lacking, but his defensive grappling is very solid IMO. Khabib is really the only fighter to out grapple Conor in UFC and it took him 4 rounds ... Conor/Diaz 1 ended because of Conor's gas tank
- On the other hand... Conor's gas tank is fucking terrible. absolutely the worst part of his game. Other than the end of the 2nd Diaz fight, he's been finished every time he gets tired. (Diaz 1, Floyd, Khabib)

- Conor haters and nut huggers are basically the same people. Some love him so much they live vicariously through him and wish they could be him... others are so jealous of his lifestyle and success that they hate him for it. Let's all just be happy for what he has done for our sport!

TLDR:
Conor McGregor is a very flawed, very accomplished fighter. I know hot takes are the most popular threads on here, but I challenge anyone who reads this thread to post a positive and negative about McGregor. Hope everyone had a happy new year! WAR SHERDOG!
This is a fair analysis. I usually don't talk much about Conor because people are too emotional on both sides.
Certain topics i try to avoid besides Conor would be Jones, GSP, for the same reasons. Also politics. I have seen literally the stupidest stuff presented as fact on here and avoid it like the plague. It's always nice when you can have a rational discussion about things.

My dislike for McGregor has nothing to do with jealousy over his success or lifestyle. If anything, it's his unlikable personality and the preferential treatment he gets. Combine the two and he's very easy to root against.

The haters and the fans may not be the same people or do the same thing, but the result of their actions are the same, they are always putting his name on the media

Speak bad or speak good, but speak about me

The glaring MARTIAL fault in Conor McGregor is the failure to progress. He bested the LW system, which wasn't that great martially speaking.

When tougher challenges were thrown his way, the ole boy SBG stuff wasn't up to the task. Instead of elevating his training, Conor made the smart business decision to put all his cards on promote. That spin of the wheel paid OFF!

Along with droves of MMA wannabes flocking to SBG for their salvation.
That's one way to look at it I suppose.

Conor is a must watch fighter. His fights always deliver. Also, his gas tank is not as bad as it's made out to be.

Conor doesn't fight often enough. Also, when he gets hurt he sometimes looks for a way out (which is where the gas tank thing comes from).

Since the announcement of Conor vs. Cowboy, Sherdog has been inundated with tons of threads about Conor McGregor... a lot by haters, a lot by nut huggers, but very few threads started by fans in between those extremes. That's where I come in. I admittedly LOVE watching Conor, but don't always pull for him.
Some positive and negative points I'd like to make during this divisive period in Sherdog history:

- Conor is (IMO) one of the greatest talents to ever enter the UFC, and is an all time great fighter. His fights vs. Aldo and Alvarez are legendary.
- Conor is also one of the worst champions the sport has ever seen. Not in terms of skill (like Serra or Bisping), but because of his insatiable desire to chase bigger things and ignore the obligations he has as champion of the 145/155 weight class.

- Conor has done many things outside the cage that are reprehensible
- I watch athletes for what they do during competition, I do not know any UFC fighter personally, and i'm not here to judge them for their actions outside of competition. That's above my pay grade.

- Conor's offensive ground game is lacking, but his defensive grappling is very solid IMO. Khabib is really the only fighter to out grapple Conor in UFC and it took him 4 rounds ... Conor/Diaz 1 ended because of Conor's gas tank
- On the other hand... Conor's gas tank is fucking terrible. absolutely the worst part of his game. Other than the end of the 2nd Diaz fight, he's been finished every time he gets tired. (Diaz 1, Floyd, Khabib)

- Conor haters and nut huggers are basically the same people. Some love him so much they live vicariously through him and wish they could be him... others are so jealous of his lifestyle and success that they hate him for it. Let's all just be happy for what he has done for our sport!

TLDR:
Conor McGregor is a very flawed, very accomplished fighter. I know hot takes are the most popular threads on here, but I challenge anyone who reads this thread to post a positive and negative about McGregor. Hope everyone had a happy new year! WAR SHERDOG!

His awareness of his strengths in his reach and striking are amazing, as is his commitment to cutting to 145 to exaggerate this. He carefully chooses his opponents and only ever takes a bad match up if the pay off is greater than the risk. In this era of mma, a lot of fighters could take a leaf out of his book and craft their careers instead of saying "whoever the UFC picks", as no one will pick them once they lose 3 times.

His weaknesses are his lack of self belief. I believe that actions speak louder than words, and the fact that he cut down to 145 shows he didn't believe he could do it at 155, which I think is rubbish, as he is top3 LW easy, just his reach advantage would not be as pronounced.

Say what you want, but this is a game of inches, and when you can take an inch, you should take it, as your job probably depends on it.

Hey just read your thread, nice job bro. I enjoyed it. Very reasonable and objective.

I disagree with "Conor nuthuggers and haters are the same people "
And
"It took Khabib 4 rounds to outgrapple him".

Not even all Nuthuggers or all haters are the same, let alone both of them being the same compared to one another.

I for one am an admitting Conor hater and I'm not ashamed of it. However, I don't hate him because I'm jealous of his fame, wealth or success( I don't compare myself with others) or even for beating my favorite fighter ever in Aldo. I will always give him his credit for his accomplishments and skill as a mmartist. That said, what I hate is his character, I unlike you, sometimes judge ,and Conor's corrupt character is blatant to the point its hard to not see it.
-the arrogance
-the disrespect
-the constant reminding of "humble in victory and defeat" while being the one superstar who has never admitted loss without an excuse:

In DEFEAT:
3 times me size, I was inefficient with my energy, my foot was a balloon, he was composed that's it, all he did was grab my leg, he was scared , etc etc

In VICTORY:
They're not on my level, constant boasting.

That to me is fake, and I simply have no respect for it. He's an insecure man who projects his insecurities at other people.

Positive : Conor has some of the most beautiful timing in the history of the sport.

Negative: excuses, tap machine aka won't try and survive sub ever for 2 seconds, cheating, civilian punching, ducking Gaethje, wanted Frankie next haha

Also,
"It took Khabib 4 rounds to outgrapple him"?

Maybe we have different definitions of "out grapple" but Khabib was on top of him for every round as soon as he got a hold of him, Conor practically spend the first 10 minutes of that fight on his back.

Pretty sure that's being "out grappled"

LOL another route of the Conor fan. Pretend they're impartial, say that both are the same and then proceed to hug. Classic stage of grief. Reached Bargaining. Unfortunately for us adults after the dive in a few weeks they will go back to delusional.
5-stages-of-grief.jpg

Back