Some Sober Thoughts On Conor McGregor (TLDR)

YOLOGOGOPLATA

4x Champ Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Since the announcement of Conor vs. Cowboy, Sherdog has been inundated with tons of threads about Conor McGregor... a lot by haters, a lot by nut huggers, but very few threads started by fans in between those extremes. That's where I come in. I admittedly LOVE watching Conor, but don't always pull for him.
Some positive and negative points I'd like to make during this divisive period in Sherdog history:

- Conor is (IMO) one of the greatest talents to ever enter the UFC, and is an all time great fighter. His fights vs. Aldo and Alvarez are legendary.
- Conor is also one of the worst champions the sport has ever seen. Not in terms of skill (like Serra or Bisping), but because of his insatiable desire to chase bigger things and ignore the obligations he has as champion of the 145/155 weight class.

- Conor has done many things outside the cage that are reprehensible
- I watch athletes for what they do during competition, I do not know any UFC fighter personally, and i'm not here to judge them for their actions outside of competition. That's above my pay grade.

- Conor's offensive ground game is lacking, but his defensive grappling is very solid IMO. Khabib is really the only fighter to out grapple Conor in UFC and it took him 4 rounds ... Conor/Diaz 1 ended because of Conor's gas tank
- On the other hand... Conor's gas tank is fucking terrible. absolutely the worst part of his game. Other than the end of the 2nd Diaz fight, he's been finished every time he gets tired. (Diaz 1, Floyd, Khabib)

- Conor haters and nut huggers are basically the same people. Some love him so much they live vicariously through him and wish they could be him... others are so jealous of his lifestyle and success that they hate him for it. Let's all just be happy for what he has done for our sport!

TLDR:
Conor McGregor is a very flawed, very accomplished fighter. I know hot takes are the most popular threads on here, but I challenge anyone who reads this thread to post a positive and negative about McGregor. Hope everyone had a happy new year! WAR SHERDOG!

Positive:

960x0.jpg

Negative:

afa20089fc7f336a53b868f2bcf8e2a9.jpg

Once a fighter is busted for PEDs, or they attack a civilian, then they are dead to me. You have to have some kind of standards as a fan.

Conor is simultaneously the most over-rated and under-rated fighter on the roster. He is no "GOAT" of anything but he's clearly not a scrub either.

Agree that the nuthuggers and Haters are essentially the same type of person. Neither can live without Conor in their lives and they need everybody to know about it. I'd say it's 70/30 haters/nuthuggers on Sherdog and 30/70 on Instagram. Probably an age profile thing. I don't think Millennials know what a Message Board is.

I'm looking forward to the fight because I am curious about what kind of Conor mentally and physically will show up. He was utterly humiliated by Khabib so things can't go back to the way they were. I will watch, but I won't be paying for it. So suck it Dana.

Khabib is really the only fighter to out grapple Conor in UFC

Give Mendes some props too.

Sure, he got knocked out, but you cant say he did not outgrapple Conor before that.

Also, his offensive grappling from top is quite good (see Siver and Holloway fights), while he is very limited offensively from bottom.

Is Conor that wee Irish fellow with rubber arms?

Conor never lost at featherweight in the UFC. He has very dominate lopsided wins over the other two featherweight GOAT contenders. So ya he'd be considered featherweight GOAT by anybody with a brain if he hadn't gone full cokehead retard and threw his career away for 3-4 years. In my opinion if he just hired a real nutritionist and stop lifting weights trying to be a bodybuilder he could have stayed at featherweight and been an all time great.

You left out the part where Conrat made it to round 4 with Khabib by fouling him 15+ times with Herb on the payroll. Nothing was stopping Khabib that night, it was destiny!

Conor never lost at featherweight in the UFC. He has very dominate lopsided wins over the other two featherweight GOAT contenders. So ya he'd be considered featherweight GOAT by anybody with a brain if he hadn't gone full cokehead retard and threw his career away for 3-4 years. In my opinion if he just hired a real nutritionist and stop lifting weights trying to be a bodybuilder he could have stayed at featherweight and been an all time great.

Let's see how smart you are.

Does the Max of today beat that skinny kid Max of yesterday that Conrat beat?

Conor was being out grappled by Mendes As well.

Since the announcement of Conor vs. Cowboy, Sherdog has been inundated with tons of threads about Conor McGregor... a lot by haters, a lot by nut huggers, but very few threads started by fans in between those extremes. That's where I come in. I admittedly LOVE watching Conor, but don't always pull for him.
Some positive and negative points I'd like to make during this divisive period in Sherdog history:

- Conor is (IMO) one of the greatest talents to ever enter the UFC, and is an all time great fighter. His fights vs. Aldo and Alvarez are legendary.
- Conor is also one of the worst champions the sport has ever seen. Not in terms of skill (like Serra or Bisping), but because of his insatiable desire to chase bigger things and ignore the obligations he has as champion of the 145/155 weight class.

- I watch athletes for what they do during competition, I do not know any UFC fighter personally, and i'm not here to judge them for their actions outside of competition. That's above my pay grade.

- Conor's offensive ground game is lacking, but his defensive grappling is very solid IMO. Khabib is really the only fighter to out grapple Conor in UFC and it took him 4 rounds ... Conor/Diaz 1 ended because of Conor's gas tank
- On the other hand... Conor's gas tank is fucking terrible. absolutely the worst part of his game. Other than the end of the 2nd Diaz fight, he's been finished every time he gets tired. (Diaz 1, Floyd, Khabib)

- Conor haters and nut huggers are basically the same people. Some love him so much they live vicariously through him and wish they could be him... others are so jealous of his lifestyle and success that they hate him for it. Let's all just be happy for what he has done for our sport!

TLDR:
Conor McGregor is a very flawed, very accomplished fighter. I know hot takes are the most popular threads on here, but I challenge anyone who reads this thread to post a positive and negative about McGregor. Hope everyone had a happy new year! WAR SHERDOG!
I agree.

Except him being the worst champion for chasing bigger things. While true, that is one of the reasons he is so popular.

TLDR:
Well said and well written. Very rare here on Sherdogs even though I love you guys (no homo)

TLDR:

Dear TS - I was expecting myself to stop reading this due to how long it was, but I kept reading as I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Sherdog has gotten to the point where it has become impossible to have an objective discussion about Conor, as Conor haters or nuthuggers seem to dominate the threads.

To demonstrate my objective stance as you requested, here is a positive and negative for Conor:

Positive - he is one of the most entertaining fighters to watch I have ever seen, can't think of a boring fight he has had

Negative - agree with yours, he kind of ruined the FW division for awhile when he just bounced and never defended that belt

I agree.

Except him being the worst champion for chasing bigger things. While true, that is one of the reasons he is so popular.
The glaring MARTIAL fault in Conor McGregor is the failure to progress. He bested the LW system, which wasn't that great martially speaking.

When tougher challenges were thrown his way, the ole boy SBG stuff wasn't up to the task. Instead of elevating his training, Conor made the smart business decision to put all his cards on promote. That spin of the wheel paid OFF!

Along with droves of MMA wannabes flocking to SBG for their salvation.

Conor hit his peak when he KOed Alvarez. That was a fucking spectacular performance.

But an honest man will see the truth and ignore thr hype. The truth is, Conor is a top 5-10 LW and that's it. He will potentially over-exceed due to his star power getting him favourable matchups and other opportunities.

Positive thing: changed the game, most popular fighter in MMA history, very entertaining style

Cons: tap machine

Back