Some questions

Chulo**

Green Belt
Reaction score
Alright I'm a white belt and I got a really good guard; most of the time I find myself playing guard, deep half, open guard, and other guards where I don't even know the name (they tell me what it's called because they see me doing it, I do it because I see other higher belts doing it). I also take people's back a lot from arm drags and other positions, and I always end up in the back. Thing is, when I go for the armbar, I get to the point where I have his arm and they are on their back, but they keep getting back up, I feel they get back up with the motion of going back they pull right back up, with his hand still in arm bar position. My thoughts are:

Should I be cranking that shit harder by the time he's sitting back up on me almost? I'm not sure what to do because I have them on the floor and in armbar position and then they get back up, I'm like wtf

Or should I position my legs in a different way or something? I usually get armbars from the back and the mount, mostly the mount, and I get into armbar position fairly well, its just that they get back up on me, idk whats wrong

Any help will be cool!

Both feet should be on the mat,slightly pressing into the mat.The leg over the neck keeps them down. Also make sure your hip is just pass the elbow (not too far away) and the opponents thumb is vertical. Raise your hip slightly and bam!, tap,tap.

Whenever a white belt claims they have a really good anything, that's lulz.

For the armbar, to keep him from bridging or scissoring his legs, just underhook the near leg. I like to cross my ankles and drop my thighs hard on their face. The underhook keeps them from getting on top and the crossed ankles stops them from stuffing your leg underneath them, as well as stopping the hitchhiker.

Should I be cranking that shit harder by the time he's sitting back up on me almost?

Do not crank anything in class - EVER! If you are not getting a submission it is most certainly not because you didnt crank it hard enough.

you need to drive the back of your leg against their face when they try to come up on top. Also don't start to pull back on the armbar until you've broken thier grip defending it, it just gives them momentum to get to thier knees.

I like how you feel the need to tell us that you have really good guards even though you just need help with the armbar.

Alright I'm a white belt and I got a really good guard; most of the time I find myself playing guard, deep half, open guard, and other guards where I don't even know the name (they tell me what it's called because they see me doing it, I do it because I see other higher belts doing it). I also take people's back a lot from arm drags and other positions, and I always end up in the back. Thing is, when I go for the armbar, I get to the point where I have his arm and they are on their back, but they keep getting back up, I feel they get back up with the motion of going back they pull right back up, with his hand still in arm bar position. My thoughts are:

Should I be cranking that shit harder by the time he's sitting back up on me almost? I'm not sure what to do because I have them on the floor and in armbar position and then they get back up, I'm like wtf

Or should I position my legs in a different way or something? I usually get armbars from the back and the mount, mostly the mount, and I get into armbar position fairly well, its just that they get back up on me, idk whats wrong

Any help will be cool!

Are you asking how to prevent from getting stacked during an armbar attempt? I think you are, maybe it's cause I'm dumb and don't really understand exactly what you are asking.

Make sure you keep the leg that's across the face heavy.

Preventing the person from stacking is all about looking at the arm bar as a position and not a submission.

By that, I mean that you need to be stable in the arm bar and able to deal with the person's attempts to sit up or try to escape. This is why I like keeping the arm closest to their legs free while using my arm closest to their head to complete the arm bar. That allows me to post my arm out if they try to sit up and stack. I can also grab their gi pants to stop them from hitch hicking.

You also have to be driving your legs into the mat, so that sitting up isn't even a viable option.

If I'm doing it right, I can sit in the arm bar position for an extended period of time, fight protective grips and their efforts to escape the position.

Big difference between having a guard and having a good go to submission. I stated I have a good guard even though I'm a white belt because I'm confident I do so. This is the internet so keep talking shit all you want nobody can prove anything on the internet.

Thanks for the advice, I never thought about keeping the foot on the neck stiff and make it hit the ground; as a matter of fact, I don't even remember when I made it a priority to make my toes touch the mat, so that might change my arm bar drastically.

Thanks for the advice also Jagcorps_esq

I don't think your toes need to be in the mat. Being heavy with the thigh is the more important details.

You can also take your inside leg and thread the triangle, so if they do come up it'll be into a triangle, and if they stay down you can work the armbar.

Another question, regarding guard retention with a GI on. I started as a NoGi grappler so I'm better at it, but there is this certain pass in GI that upper belts pull off on me and they do pass with it sometimes, and I can't stop it that well. The opponent grabs your pants by the knees and throws them to the side. Most of the time, I can re-guard by pushing off his shoulders or head, shrimping my way in again, but the upper belts get their foot in on the side of me fast, and my that time I try to do the little hip "hop" but it doesn't work all the time and I get passed.

Any other way to defeat this? Sometimes I'm able to break this grip with the other white belts but the upper belts really give me trouble with it.

Well break the grip by hugging with arm around their grip and kicking your leg straight.

I would put both arms in the arm pit and shrimp back while pushing away. That is the most annoying guard retention trick ever, if you have a MGIA account its all over on there

Another question, regarding guard retention with a GI on. I started as a NoGi grappler so I'm better at it, but there is this certain pass in GI that upper belts pull off on me and they do pass with it sometimes, and I can't stop it that well. The opponent grabs your pants by the knees and throws them to the side. Most of the time, I can re-guard by pushing off his shoulders or head, shrimping my way in again, but the upper belts get their foot in on the side of me fast, and my that time I try to do the little hip "hop" but it doesn't work all the time and I get passed.

Any other way to defeat this? Sometimes I'm able to break this grip with the other white belts but the upper belts really give me trouble with it.

Spider guard, get wrist and upper body control in the Gi.

I've got a pretty damn good guard, shoyoroll status, inverted and all that ghay stuff everyone hates in NoGi.

Gi just made all those sweeps soooo much easier when I went back and am focusing on my brown belt more consistently now.

Look into spider guard so you can settle down your opponent and slow em down, then you'll see a lot of openings that you've been working NoGi.

Caio terra has some vids

Why don't you ask your instructor to watch and help you fix what's actually allowing them to get up vs. trying to describe something you don't truly understand yet.

Why don't you ask your instructor to watch and help you fix what's actually allowing them to get up vs. trying to describe something you don't truly understand yet.

no need. he's got some bad ass guards and sick arm drags to back takes... lol

This is the internet so keep talking shit all you want nobody can prove anything on the internet.

Irony.

I believe it's called the bullfighter pass, for future reference.

So higher belts "sometimes" pass your guard because it is so awesome but you don't know how to do a basic armbar?

no need. he's got some bad ass guards and sick arm drags to back takes... lol

Just because you don't feel confident with your game doesn't mean everyone else should. Don't display your insecurity homie.

Irony.

I believe it's called the bullfighter pass, for future reference.

I mean I never even said I'm smashing black belts or black belts can't pass my guard but yall are acting like I did lol. The insecurity level in some of the posters here is incredible.

So higher belts "sometimes" pass your guard because it is so awesome but you don't know how to do a basic armbar?

You're comparing an orange to an apple. That's like a boxer with good hands but no footwork; you can't judge somebody over one skillset.

Overall thanks to everyone helping me out, the shit coming out your mouth don't faze me.

And oh yeah, you are awesome at all these different types of guard but don't know what they are......

Back