Some questions about boxing

Xoleth

You're only winning if someone is losing.
@Black
Reaction score
1. What's the deal with Regular champ & Interim champ?
For example, on wikipedia, at WBA HW, Joshua is champ, Manuel Charr is regular champ and Trevor Bryan is interim champ. The funny thing is that Charr hasn't fought since 2017 and Bryan since august 2018 and Joshua fought recently.
Same for other weight classes, there are Interim champs at WBA, even though the Champ has fought recently
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_world_boxing_champions

2. Why are so many vacant titles? Why not just put the best 2 fighters in that org to fight for the title?
Especially The Ring... has a lot of vacant titles.

Thanks,

It's mostly just BS. There are the four titles that get counted as real (WBA, WBC, WBO, IBF) and everything else is mostly ignored like IBO and any regular or interim titles. Even then having one is like a piece of the title and a lot more stock is put into someone who can unify.

As far as The Ring title I believe it's just awarded by the magazine and not a physical title.

As far as The Ring title I believe it's just awarded by the magazine and not a physical title.

If it's boxing and can be a belt, it's a belt.
ZZZZFLOYD_RING_BELT_01_023341a2-a651-4b2f-82eb-5b81840b21a0_1024x1024.jpg

Is that a regular thing? Or just something special they would do for someone like Floyd?
They only give it to certain fighters.

If you have the ring title you're probably the baddest mofo in your division

Is that a regular thing? Or just something special they would do for someone like Floyd?

Kind of regular, I know Marquez had one and wore it to the ring. Fury won it after beating Wald but it is now vacant
IDK it's a magazine who decided to just make up a belt because why the hell not?

I guess it's like a trophy but I'm not going to consider it an actual title.

I get confused over regular and interim.

Interim is usually supposed to be the title that makes you the champion "until" the real champ comes back.

Regular I'm guessing is a way to increase the marketability of your number 2 guy. Povetkin had this right? It also serves as protection of assets I think. Meaning, why waste your number 2 guy by having him beaten by your number 1 guy when you could just put a belt on him and spin that plate as well. I could be wrong but that's how I see it.

The Ring belt is usually given to the guy who has unified or proven himself the best champion out of the lot. So thats why the ring belt is commonly vacant

It's not supposed to be. It's not officially defended or anything. It's just given to particularly outstanding fighters.

It started as a real title about 100 years ago, they attached it to lineal champ

It's mostly just BS. There are the four titles that get counted as real (WBA, WBC, WBO, IBF) and everything else is mostly ignored like IBO and any regular or interim titles. Even then having one is like a piece of the title and a lot more stock is put into someone who can unify.

not going to share the comments re IBO title with my coach...who has the belt hanging in the gym

Kind of regular, I know Marquez had one and wore it to the ring. Fury won it after beating Wald but it is now vacant
IDK it's a magazine who decided to just make up a belt because why the hell not?

I believe Ring announced Fury v Wilder 2 will be for the Ring belt as Fury is lineal and Wilder is number 1 contender.

not going to share the comments re IBO title with my coach...who has the belt hanging in the gym
I'm not saying it's not an accomplishment. Certainly more than I've achieved. But it's not normally recognized as a world title.

1. What's the deal with Regular champ & Interim champ?
For example, on wikipedia, at WBA HW, Joshua is champ, Manuel Charr is regular champ and Trevor Bryan is interim champ. The funny thing is that Charr hasn't fought since 2017 and Bryan since august 2018 and Joshua fought recently.
Same for other weight classes, there are Interim champs at WBA, even though the Champ has fought recently
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_world_boxing_champions
Basically the sanctioning bodies can charge as many sanctioning fees as there are belts.

2. Why are so many vacant titles? Why not just put the best 2 fighters in that org to fight for the title?
Especially The Ring... has a lot of vacant titles.

Thanks,
Because boxing has so many promoters. Sort of the same reason you don't see a unified champ in MMA but with a much more worldwide talent pool.

The Ring belt? Its generally considered to be the pinnacle of achievement in the sport.

The Ring belt? Its generally considered to be the pinnacle of achievement in the sport.

You serious, or am I just now realizing that you've been ODL this whole time? The Canelo love and Loma hate and everything else, it's all starting to come together...

<TheWire1>

This was likely sarcasm but for the most part I agree. But, if a fighter holds a Ring belt with 'Fighter of the Decade' on it, like their 'Fighter of the Year' belts, then it has some value. The BWAA names the Fighter of the Decade but The Ring has agreed with them so far when naming theirs on top of awarding a belt for it.

the WBA specifically has a bunch of tiers to their belt system. the “super” belt is the highest so it’s essentially the real one, although many do consider the “regular” belt a world title.

the wbc is the most respected commission but it tends to be flashier with their belt choices. they’ll make event belts like “diamond belts” similar to the “bmf” title.

ring magazine belts work like lineal titles for the most part. they stay vacant once vacated until the #1 and #2 fight.

basically it’s all horseshit.

WBA Super Super Middleweight Champ Callum Smith is a mouthful

I didn't say it was meaningless, just not a title that's in every division that's regularly defended. I'm not an expert on this by any means. That's just how I see it to my knowledge but if I'm wrong then I'm okay with being corrected.

Back