Some people just hit harder.. myth or fact?

Some people just hit harder just like some people just run faster, jump higher, are taller, smarter, go bald etc.

Genetic predisposition is an undeniable fact and gives a very rigid frame for the effect of any training.

Other factors include diet, psychology, weight, centre of gravity, punching style, hormones - seems testosterone and human growth hormones are effective, look at monsters like Houston Alexander, Brock Lesnar, Overeem, pride Wanderlei Silva - I think a good chunk of power you can train but genetics definately affects health.

I see it like this (analogy):

Can I swim faster if I swam everyday? Of course.

Can I swim as fast as an Olympian if I swam everyday? Probably not.

Anyways, I don't really see why people get hung on up power so much. No offence but it seems more like an internet problem or one which newbies often have. I mean, I aren't accusing the OP of anything, but I do know some people who think they don't need to train because they think they can hit like a freight train.

So does anybody boxing have any experience using the sledgehammer Earnie Shavers style ?
Notice a difference other than the placebo effect ?

But how can you be sure that all things are equal?

Seriously?

How can things be equal when ppl are different- they might look similar in size, be same weight or height, but they have different genetics, dont they.
Its like asking why some ppl sprint faster or jump higher than others, who go through the same training, same amount of hours etc - its simple, their body structure is suited better for the particular job.

Some people just hit harder just like some people just run faster, jump higher, are taller, smarter, go bald etc.

Genetic predisposition is an undeniable fact and gives a very rigid frame for the effect of any training.

Lol, should have read through the thread before posting, this would have saved me a minute or so :)

There is nothing mysterious about it, no "special ingredient", no magic. Some people are naturally stronger in particular muscles. Some people have more fast twitch muscles. Some are more coordinated. So while you may not understand why someone can naturally hit harder, it's still not best described as "just that something." It's something very specific that can be measured.

Good technique will hit harder than an equal amount of brute force. You can teach someone who is naturally weak, slow and uncoordinated to hit hard. In fact a lot of famous fighters got in to boxing and MMA because they were small and weak and got picked on. If I remember correctly Tyson and GSP were both like that, and if I don't remember correctly, there are plenty of other examples! :)

some people just throw a baseball faster. a football farther. but randy johnson wouldn't have been able to throw 100 miles an hour at age 25 if he never picked up a ball before then.

Some are born feather fisted I.e Malignaggi, and others are born with dynamite in their fists I.e Julian Jackson.

Some are born feather fisted I.e Malignaggi, and others are born with dynamite in their fists I.e Julian Jackson.

thats the bold statement i find kinda stupid. and one of the main reason why i started this thread.

Bone structure could have a lot to do with it especially in the hips.

thats the bold statement i find kinda stupid. and one of the main reason why i started this thread.

if you think everybody has the same amount of power, you're stupid and don't know shit about boxing.

if you think everybody has the same amount of power, you're stupid and don't know shit about boxing.

Did ya actually read before replying? or........ :icon_idea

He was actually saying quite the opposite..........

Some people just are born w a head start. Some are born to be strong, to be fast or to be both. Look at basketball ball star lebron James, dude came right out of high school built like a tank and he only started lifting weights a few years ago Or to a lesser known degree no Jackson. Some guys are just born great. Now with that said for the rest of us we need to work our butts off to catch up. Work hard on your craft and the rest will fall into play

There is nothing mysterious about it, no "special ingredient", no magic. Some people are naturally stronger in particular muscles. Some people have more fast twitch muscles. Some are more coordinated. So while you may not understand why someone can naturally hit harder, it's still not best described as "just that something." It's something very specific that can be measured.

Good technique will hit harder than an equal amount of brute force. You can teach someone who is naturally weak, slow and uncoordinated to hit hard. In fact a lot of famous fighters got in to boxing and MMA because they were small and weak and got picked on. If I remember correctly Tyson and GSP were both like that, and if I don't remember correctly, there are plenty of other examples! :)

Tyson was never small nor weak. He was a little kid like anyone else. Also give me a defensive tackle with decent technique and I'll show you a knock out artist.

Bones and muscle density, fibers and etc are different for every person.
Its natural some people to be better in some areas than others.

Also give me a defensive tackle with decent technique and I'll show you a knock out artist.

So give you a guy who has lifted weights for 10 years and you'll show me someone who can hit hard? Give me a guy who has boxed for 10 years and I'll show you a guy who can hit harder.

I train with a former NFL lineman. He outweighs most people in the gym by 200 pounds, (is not particularly fat) but a lot of guys hit harder than him.

Back