Some gaining advice for a gal

Hudsn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
1at of guys I love this forum I read it often and dont post but learn a lot from everyone especially the FAQ'S.
Sorry if this post is long btw

So let me try to make a long story short Im a big MMA fan and in the past have trained in different disciplines just for fun, stay in shape type of thing.

Bout 2 yrs ago life got a little messed up had a very bad car accident that required a bunch of orthopedic surgeries shoulder, knee, elbow, etc. Normally I am bout 5'1-5"2 bout 105lbs well between all the surgeries obvi

So now Im trying to recover from this last insane knee surgery I just had and the problem is every time I have surgery betwen the stress of surgery and the drugs ya take I alwalys lose weight.. So my physical therapist and athletic trainers have been awesome pushing me even though its only 2 weeks since my surgery but Im way to thin I havent stepped on the scale but even though I have never been heavy I would say I am probably only like 90lbs now.

The physical therapist who is great I see a lot of NY based team/athletes trainin there as well told me he wants me to drink protein shakes he said myoplex. Honestly im overwhelmed by the whole thing.

I want to get back into training again but thats a while off, Im limited in my cardio becuase my shoulders bad need that fixed next and my knee so cant even do pool work. I want my trainer to kick my ass but even he feels Im to thin to do stuff.

My diet isnt perfect it could be better but I
Im on all these stupid proescriptions for post-surgery as well which sorta make you queezy and or loose your appetitite. I def wanna gain some weight obviously muscle but not sure the right way and how far to take it as I dont want to become too "big or thick".

I dont wanna look like an Olsen twin but I dont want to be heavy either. No I dont have an eating disorder my folks were trying to get me to eat ice cream and junk like that but I thought thats prob the worst thing I can do.
Im trying to eat as much as I can but its tough as I ave like zero appetite.

For example today I ate: AM: few scrambeled eggs (with some ketchup - thats my one vice), banana
Grilled chicken cutlet, small salad and most of a green pepper, Dinner I had a small steak filet and carrots and broccoli. I also snacked the day on apples, pineapple. I am gonna try to eat some almonds tonight

I just dont know how I cant gain weight without it being fat since Im limited in my workouts for a while. I am guesing ahealthy weight for me would be round 100-105 Im not even sure bout that. I have read the FAQ's but wanna have the strength and such not be too weak to get thru ths workouts.

Sorry for the longest post ever and al the bad spellig/typing

thanks in advance

So whats a gal too do? Esp bout the protein shakes and all?

Myoplex tastes like chemical-poo in my opinion. There are all kinds of proteins out there. Just look for any kind of whey protein, or whey and casein mix, and blend it with lowfat milk. Or you could visit a couple supplement and health food shops, and ask for recommendations.

Been throug ha verrrry serious car accident so i definitely feel for you...

1. keep up with the physio
2. find out from your surgeon / doctor EXACTLY what is limited if you have multiple injuries outstanding. if not, remember the things you can't do (eg if you broke your leg, you obv can't squat, simple stuff) and don't do them. You can progress quite far doing some exercises trust me.
3. do the physio exercises.

I can't stres number 3 enough ^

Pick something thats popular in the faqs for protein - something like reflex instant whey or ON whey (i think with the 2nd one) are popular.

You want a shake that is protein and not too much other stuff, so a protein drink rather than meal replacement. (meal replacement would also contain carbs + fats).

Lots of fish oils, calcium tablets, some ZMA would probably be a good thing as well. You want to promote bone healing as much as possible. Also, try not to take painkillers if you dn't absolutely need to, NSAIDs (stuff like ibuprofen, anti inflammatories all are proven to slow bone healing.)

how active were you before? in terms of sporty or lifting or martial arts or what.. It's one of those things - if you're smart enough and know enough, you can afford to SOMETIMES not always listen to the doctors - you have to push yourself to keep progressing and youll surprise yourself and them. BUIT on the other hand, don't take it too far. You need to know your limits and NOT BE STUPID and don't do obviously stupid things. another couple of weeks is worth protecting your body over, it's been thru a lot and you dont wana take 1 step forward and 2 steps bk.... gd luck.

edit: ----> Ok jus reread what you put and said 2 weeks since surgery. You shouldn't be doing anything involving lifting or 'hard' work yet. You need to be doing what the physio says, which are probly simple but stil hard limb exercises etc. I wouldn't worry too much about the weight, jus tEAT MORE good food. greens / veggies / fruit/ MILK / + protein.

I wouldn' tactually worry about how clean you're eating now, you jus tneed to eat some. I don't mean go crazy, but well, your 3 tiny meals a day wil limit you. You need to eat more or your body won't heal to it's potential.

You can take weight gainer but make sure to keep eating the same amount of food because the shakes will fill you up so you might not feel like eating as much. Thats what happned to me so I switched to regular protein and it worked out better and its also cheaper.

You've gotten great advice, I think but I just wanted to say two things. One, I think what you're eating looks great, you should gain weight the right way eating what you're eating now.
Also, when it comes to protein shakes, I think they are a must. As someone else suggested, ON Whey is great. I've been using it for months and it's the best protein product I've ever tried (and I've tried a lot!). Check it out:

100% Whey Gold Standard - $19.99 : Optimum Nutrition, The Bigger Picture

I'm gonna go with millasur on this one on several points:
1. REHAB, REHAB, REHAB.

2. Many proteins out there better than myoplex, that's some really nasty crap, IMO. I use trueprotein.com, but ON is also top quality.

3. If you don't need the painkillers, don't take them. I was given a month's supply of painkillers after my shoulder surgery in Dec and only took a couple days worth when I was absolutely miserable. (and I hated taking them then)

ON Whey is great, I think I like it more than BSN which I'm taking now. The BSN stuff doesn't mix very well. Plus the price tag is nice. The milk chocolate extreme or double milk chocolate or w/e is amazing.

I pretty much said to myself no more painkillers after 48hrs the pain is insane but I try using things like ice and tylenol instead plus every time I was taking them I had zero apettte.

I am not gonna lie have I alays had the best diet no but I read these threads a lot and try to make small improvements.

Also I am a prtty piccky eater with some vices like everyone I love ketchup, white pasta and Im from NY go I gotta have my pizza and also dont mind a few drinks.

I am pretty much just trying to think before I eat stuff and try to make the best choice I have available. I am just trying to grab fruits and nuts as snacks and add more veggies (which is one of my hardest problems) Problem is also Im stuck back with my family now and they eat crap.

I was active before but mostly stay in shape, fun type of thing. I worked in a real stressfull job and found a lot of MMA disciplines were great stress relievers as I got bored just going to the gym.

I gotta do some more research on vitamins & stuff especially joint/bone health as so far only thing I have been taking is some vitamins from the hospitalthat the doc advised.

My doc is great he works with a NY Pro Team and is very cool, compassionate and understands the deal. The therapist he introduced me to also is great works with lots of pros, even some mma guys but..... he does a lot of high end athletes so he is pushing me real hard (which I want but I also would rather go a little slower now till I am off crutches and stuff). So Im torn between the two as I dont wanna wimp out but dont wanna screw anything up also. But than I say maybe thats the therapists reverse psych type thing

What I am worried bout is gaining weight while being limited in my cardio , conditioning, lifting etc. so I obviously want to gain muscle not fat and dont wanna be end up beng some fat chick with everything hanging out and not the good stuff, ya guys know what Im talking bout.

I really appreciate everyones imput and tried to do as much research as before I posted as I diddnt wanna seem like some foolish troll.

Also Im just so not hungry Im on some other like antibiotic type drugs for after the surgery and its like the last thing on my mind is food so I just try to eat a little bit at a time. I was never a huge eater more of a grazer type
than I have my family telling me Im to thin blah blah eat soda, cake, ice cream, etc
So its loco as I would think thats probably the worst thing I can do as any weight I would put on that way would def be flab.

I googled the myoplex and thats pretty pricey I dont mind the $$ but Im gonna try the links people advised, as Im more worried bout taste.

I'm gonna go with millasur on this one on several points:
1. REHAB, REHAB, REHAB.

2. Many proteins out there better than myoplex, that's some really nasty crap, IMO. I use trueprotein.com, but ON is also top quality.

3. If you don't need the painkillers, don't take them. I was given a month's supply of painkillers after my shoulder surgery in Dec and only took a couple days worth when I was absolutely miserable. (and I hated taking them then)

Yea ronin shoulder surgery stinks had one less than a yr ago and I still need to have my other shoulder done down the road. I hate taking them everyone is like rah rah painkillers I think its just a crutch sometimes as I find the side effects worse than the benefit.

Also conditioning training wise I cant do much now not even the stationary bike yet. I just have my exercises mostly band type stuff to do for the time being. It sucks as I cant even do the arm bike or anything as my shoulder isnt good so Im sorta caught between a rock and a hardplace.

But I am really thankfull for everyones imput. I am gonna start ordering a good blender and protein today. At least I have some free time to really read these threads in more detail.

Drink some Cytogainer or Muscle Milk. Cytogainer has more cals and stuff than MM and they both taste great.

My worry is without doing a sort of "real" workout will my gain become fat

I just re-read what I wrote and boy do I feel like a moron,

Nut without really being able to do a proper workout as opposed to a limited post-surgery thing thats where I get a little concerned. But I did just order the protein powder and tried to make a rule for myself tht whenever I pop on the board to read I eat something een if its just some fruit or veggies.

I really appreciate everyones imput !!

Also here was my meals for today I know its not enough calories and not ideal choices but Im hoping just my appetite will come back more & my folks will buy what I ask for on my shopping list.
Also it wasnt the "cleanest" of meals as like I said till i recover I am with my family and there habbits leave much to be desired.

Today wasnt a hardcore day for me phyiscal therapy wise as I have sessions with my trainer for the next few days.

AM: An omlette with some pepppers (sorry I had to use ketchup I used jut a dab but Im an addict)
Snack a cup of pineapple
Lunch- grilled chicken breast some veggies I found in the fridge not much mostly some red cabbage, and some peppers
Snack Bannana
Dinner another bad choice as it was what my folks cooked white pasta with a veggie type sauce, also had a side salad
Real old school here now: had 2 choc chip cookies - gave in to the temptation as they were fresh baked and milk.
Another snack - cup of grapes
TV Snack - a lot of mini carrots

I know the dinner and cookies were ad choices but dinner it was only thing available the cookies Im just a wimp.

Ordered the protein shake so looking forward to that.

but ketchup that doesn't have the high fructose in it....."organic ketchup"

taste just as good if not better

Im trying to break my bad habbits, as a kid I drowned everything in it. Maybe I will do the compromise and go for the organic.
My body may go into high fructose corn syrup withdrawal

Yea ronin shoulder surgery stinks had one less than a yr ago and I still need to have my other shoulder done down the road. I hate taking them everyone is like rah rah painkillers I think its just a crutch sometimes as I find the side effects worse than the benefit.

Also conditioning training wise I cant do much now not even the stationary bike yet. I just have my exercises mostly band type stuff to do for the time being. It sucks as I cant even do the arm bike or anything as my shoulder isnt good so Im sorta caught between a rock and a hardplace.

I can def see this being the worst thing - you r on crutches but you've also had shoulder surgery?! I havne't had to deal with both upper + lower issues a t the same time, thankfully, so again I feel for u a lot! I'm not really sure what you can train with issues liek that.

Can you do bodyweight stuff like push ups or sit ups or even one leg squats? In all honesty I know how you feel, because just after operations I was the same, you feel so shit and useless that you want to get out there and get on the training again and just feel yourself wasting muscle every day

- believe me, if you can't do anything useful you shud just try to forget about it and not worry. Gaining a bit of fat isn't an issue, you can get rid of it when you can train more easily. Just don't skimp on eating, you seem a little obsessed with the food ting at the moment - your body needs to heal, which means it needs fuel to heal, you shouldn't be so worried about 'fat' - what about how recently ago a big knife was used to cut open your shoulder an fucked aruond with some stuff inside. You need nutrients to heal that for sure!

Do your band work. All the time. While your watching tele or whatever - carry the band around the house with you (i put mine around my neck when I was on crutches lol).

I duno honestly I think you got your prioities a bit messed up, but i understand cos i've bee nin the same position and you just end pu sittin there thinkin and feelin shit when you cant do much and you jus feel fat or watever. You're stil in a lot of pain focus on resting up and icing until the pain goes a bit, TRUST ME a couple of weeks of sittin around won't turn you from toned to a fat blob. The obsession is good, LEARN as much as you can, but perhaps wait a little bit before tryina implement it all lol, you sound like in 2 days you wana completely overhaul your diet lol.

Yeah it sorta sucks I had crazy shoulder surgery last yr and had so much damage that I knew it had to be a 2 part type thing.

So the docs keeping an eye on me as its a catch22 since the worst thing for my shoulder is crutches but I need them for my knee so its a fine line between
I had so many surgeries I honestly think my body is so shot and the healing processs is a litle slower.

Lol I like your band fashion statement.

I put away the painkillers I got this great ice compresson machine thing that helps but still have to take some drugs I guess antiobiotics for after surgery and stuff and Im as hungry as someone just leaving one of those competitive eating contests.

Ive been pretty lucky (as Im far from perfect) always been thin slender or avg weight so even though I could always gain a few lbs it wasnt as extensive as this.
thx

Yeah it sorta sucks I had crazy shoulder surgery last yr and had so much damage that I knew it had to be a 2 part type thing.

So the docs keeping an eye on me as its a catch22 since the worst thing for my shoulder is crutches but I need them for my knee so its a fine line between
I had so many surgeries I honestly think my body is so shot and the healing processs is a litle slower.

Lol I like your band fashion statement.

I put away the painkillers I got this great ice compresson machine thing that helps but still have to take some drugs I guess antiobiotics for after surgery and stuff and Im as hungry as someone just leaving one of those competitive eating contests.

Ive been pretty lucky (as Im far from perfect) always been thin slender or avg weight so even though I could always gain a few lbs it wasnt as extensive as this.
thx

I got one of those ice compression things for my foot - they are awesome. i shud use it more to b honest.

Yea exactly, you just summed it up - which is due to heal up first? Just take it easy for a while, waste lots of time on Sherdog and educate yourself :) Find out from your psyio / doctor what you can and can't do, what you saida bout the coach pushing you - as long as it's 'safe' the pain is a good thing, youll be amazed how it all comes back over time, I never thort my toes would move this far again lol :)

Oh you mentioned joint supps before - i was taking calcium with vit K, glucosomine, and fish oil. Recently I've started takign Animal Flex, which seems to just contain everything (msn, shark cartilage, chrondrotin, glucosomine - i think, haven't looked at the label fo ra while) but obv that's expensive. Haven't noticed anything major yet but it's hard to judge because my foot is painful al lthe time, so it's not liek I can tell if it hurts a lot less or more etc. Would recommend it's worth a try tho.

got nothing bad to say about fish oil, I need to take more of it. Been on about 1-2g a day.

I got this thing called GameReady anyone interested can google it if you ever have a bad injury or surgery its amazing.

I gotta get started on the supps right now Im just trying to finish up the darn antibiotics from the docs.

The one benefit about this added free time is I finally had time to really read the threads in more detail.

The therapist is sorta pushing me hardcore which is great but I am a little weary still being on crrutches.

I did try to make a rule that whenever I went on to read the threads I would try to eat something so food doesnt seem so overwhelming than I end up with the ugh Im not hungry attitude.

Had something like the gameready thing on my foot wen I fucked it bigtime. Now I have a 'cryocuff' for home use, which is just a boot that straps on that is cold + compression.

Yea one of ht ebiggest things is gettin your confidence back - i remember i wakled into the doctors on crutches, and he said well you dont need them anymore now, you can drop them this week. It does happen, but its hella painful lol. As long as it's good/ regulated pain its ok. If its the therapist pushing you then I would assume everythings ok - it's easy for them as theyve rehabbed so many injuries before lol, they seen it done it etc. Works the same way when your in pain - theyll probly have dealt with 10 people who screamed and complained more than you, and 10 people who firmed it a lot better than you. Such is life.

Only idea id have is keep a big bag of nuts by your computer then wenever u come to sherdog you can stick ya hand in there an grab some. BTW taking supps and antibiotics is fine (as far as i know, im no doctor lol). gd luck.

Back