1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Some fighters not tapping when RNC looking locked in

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by JustOnce, Nov 19, 2020.

1. JustOnce Itami

So, sometimes I don't get this. Why is it that there are times where RNC looks like it's in, and literally it looks like the guy getting RNC isn't doing much other than trying to peel the hands off or something, but not even close to doing so, but they still can't tap the guy out.

I can't think of one right now, but I guess kinda similar thing with guillotine which is much common I guess. The guilotine looks tigh as fudge, and it doesn't look like the other guy isn't doing anything but trying to defend but can't really do nothing, but the guy doesn't get tapped out.

What's going on?

2. shunyata Silver Belt

Blood still flowing son.

So you keep on fighting.

If the blood ain't flowin, they won't keep fighting very long.

RyanR likes this.
  3. Whitebeltatlife Yellow Belt

John Fitch was the craziest at this. He looked dead in an RNC, just wouldn't tap then would somehow get out and win.

sb413197 likes this.
  4. JustOnce Itami

Yes John Fitch

5. sb413197 Silver Belt

I don't really get tapping from an RNC in an MMA fight. People are trying to bash each other's heads in, and so much is on the line...if there's even the slightest chance of escape you would think they would fight until the end.

Now strikes, that's different - tapping from strikes makes a ton of sense - that's permanent damage happening right there

shunyata and winterbike like this.
  6. JustOnce Itami

Is that you GSP?

sb413197 and KikoJones like this.
  7. Peteyandjia Autumn Booth Staff Member Forum Administrator

Strangulation is a game of inches. If a fighter can cock their head to one side or the other just barely enough, or shrug their shoulders just so, they can sometimes create just enough precious space for their carotid(s) to allow bloodflow, giving them a chance to fight on.

However if the back attacker / guillotiner is a master strangler, these kinds of defenses will not stop them for long, they are only a minor speedbump. The person needs to either use them to escape immediately, or be strangled. The exception is if it’s the end of a round, then it’s a race to the clock & perhaps they can be saved by the bell.

8. shunyata Silver Belt

Fucking centimeters.

An inch is so much room for the carotid body.

sb413197 likes this.
  9. yetanother Black Belt

It's not like you can do anything at some point if its clean and you are borderline conscious. When you are being choke often you have to be super relaxed to even survive a bit longer so you can't even explode.
    I don't want people hurting my neck in competition when I pass out and they will do god knows what.

10. Quebec Nick Purple Belt

When the choke is sink in and you don't have any access to an arm to break the lock, you're done. Then, I don't see why you will just wait to go to sleep, even more if you feel that your neck is cranking.

Guillotine is another matter, there's tons of way of getting out of a guillotine last second, I would also fight it last second.

But a good RNC with both hooks in... It would be a miracle to get out of that once it's sinked in

sb413197 likes this.
  11. sb413197 Silver Belt

Yeah this is kind of what I'm talking about. MMA is all about massive brain trauma and damage to the whole body...getting choked out from an RNC is relatively tiny risk compared to that. If there is even a 1 in 1000 chance of survival I would think MMA fighters just plain wouldn't tap to chokes - getting hit with a single punch is probably worse than getting choked out for most people.

BJJ is different obviously. There you tap.

12. Eric O Amateur Fighter

I've been doing BJJ/MMA for 20 years and it's something you encounter often. There's a huge difference between guys that spend a lot of time in the gym working out of bad positions and the guys that don't. It's really evident in the UFC.

13. Daz2300 Orange Belt

With the RNC some people have 'deep veins' and chokes come on a little slower, some people are stubborn as fcuk and sometimes its just not tight enough.

In MMA you often see people try finish the guillotine from closed guard by extending backwards as they pull on the head. That's not the best way to finish the choke and often doing that rather than crunching is enough for guys to tough it out i think.