Some Eastern Bloc videos

FWIW, most of you lol'ing at the concept of "internet instruction" should keep in-mind that at some point you've all been "some guy in the internet telling someone what to do."

Even if you're telling that someone to find someone to physically demonstrate it, you're some guy on the internet saying to do that. If all internet advice is dismissible simply because it's on the internet, so is yours.

That said, fantastic videos Onq. Studying and sharing these kinds of things is what keeps Boxing knowledge alive (and being as there's at least 4 different Countries posting just in this thread, thank GOD for THE INTERNET). One need not speak the same language, we all speak Boxing. A well-trained eye can tell what's going on.

this is a very strange statement because you took a direct quote from me but never mention my name. and on top of that you didnt even take the whole quote, your argument takes my quote completly out of context

this is my quote:

the problem is you need somebody to actually show you these concepts in front of you or else its just some guy on the internet telling you what to do.

what i meant by this is the guy who tries to explain it to you will always do a hundred times better job if he is there in person. witch seems like a pretty obvious truth, and it seems clear enought, but you only quote half my post.

and besides i never lold (some kind of weird judgement your passing there) so i dont know why your adding my quote, therefore me in all of that

Last edited:
I wasnt speaking to you yodave, and your quote is paraphrased because you're not the only one who has posted those words. I know your post wasnt meant as a statement of degradation, but others use the same sentiment as that.

I wasnt speaking to you yodave, and your quote is paraphrased because you're not the only one who has posted those words. I know your post wasnt meant as a statement of degradation, but others use the same sentiment as that.

oh okay, i know what you mean now.

i got a question, what do you feel are the styles that define eastern bloc boxing?

FWIW, most of you lol'ing at the concept of "internet instruction" should keep in-mind that at some point you've all been "some guy in the internet telling someone what to do."

Even if you're telling that someone to find someone to physically demonstrate it, you're some guy on the internet saying to do that. If all internet advice is dismissible simply because it's on the internet, so is yours.

That said, fantastic videos Onq. Studying and sharing these kinds of things is what keeps Boxing knowledge alive (and being as there's at least 4 different Countries posting just in this thread, thank GOD for THE INTERNET). One need not speak the same language, we all speak Boxing. A well-trained eye can tell what's going on.

1 ) most ppl use the Internet for lil tweaks , tricks n tips , discussing philosophies etc etc not full blown 24/7 instruction.
Be as that may , who cares ? It's just gentle ribbing of the neighborhood nerdy kid.

2) true but u may miss the lil subtle things that make a good technique great.

Thanks for the videos Onq! Really enjoyed them all.

1 ) most ppl use the Internet for lil tweaks , tricks n tips , discussing philosophies etc etc not full blown 24/7 instruction.
Be as that may , who cares ? It's just gentle ribbing of the neighborhood nerdy kid.

2) true but u may miss the lil subtle things that make a good technique great.

1) There's been more than enough ribbing, Im tired of reading it.

2) Its true there may be gems of wisdom in words, no doubt. Though I find typically the subtlety is in the actual execution.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I had no intention to hijack this thread, just tried to contribute to the great opening post.
Easier to find when similar videos are under one thread.

Thanks.

I had no intention to hijack this thread, just tried to contribute to the great opening post.
Easier to find when similar videos are under one thread.

Yes, thanx for the input!

oh okay, i know what you mean now.

i got a question, what do you feel are the styles that define eastern bloc boxing?

Well, and sorry it took so long to answer this, it's not about definitive styles once guys get in the ring. Every guy is different and no matter how you train them, they'll express themselves differently. Even guys who I myself train. I have two right now whose regimens are almost identical, because they have similar problems in the ring. However, their dispositions are completely different. So even though they're the same age, same weight class, same trainer, and VERY similar regimens, they're good at completely different things.

However, from the Professional ranks, as they say the cream always rises to the top. Look no further than guys like Kostya Tszyu, Vitali Klitschko, right now Gennady Golovkin, the best ones who are or were active. Especially those who retained their trainers. Though, conversely, there's some guys whose styles ruined or are ruining their careers more so than helping them. Like Matt Korobov, and Kid Diamond. I know I'm mostly naming guys from Kazakhstan, but right now they're putting out some of the most touted guys who enter the Pros.

Also, of note about the videos themselves. Obviously I really like the drills, the way they move, especially their posture and how control of distance and positioning seem to be emphasized. So I'll leave this here, and Onq, I'm sure you'll be able to see some of the slight adjustments that we Caribbeans made, this is Arni and I on mitt-work:

Is Arni still training with you Sinister? I'm seeing him fight in Dublin next month

Also, of note about the videos themselves. Obviously I really like the drills, the way they move, especially their posture and how control of distance and positioning seem to be emphasized. So I'll leave this here, and Onq, I'm sure you'll be able to see some of the slight adjustments that we Caribbeans made, this is Arni and I on mitt-work:

I enjoyed watching that. You do good work.

Is Arni still training with you Sinister? I'm seeing him fight in Dublin next month

Not exactly. Dadi and I work as a unit as much as we can. So via exchanging of footage, I assist. Always remember Arni is Dadi's student. Whenever I take over as Boxing Coach (which would be when he goes to the UFC), I'll forever credit Dadi with his basics. He just spent two months here over the summer and asked to work with me directly. Wanted some Caribbean flava.

Though I have already studied the guy he's fighting. Big time wrestler. I gave my input on that just today.

I enjoyed watching that. You do good work.

Thank you. Arni is good to work with, though. I don't have to belittle him about constantly making mistakes. Dude hits like a truck, though. More than once I was concerned about him possibly breaking my hands. But I prefer the smaller mitts either way. Lately I've developed a habit of when instructing on punching form/fist formation, I let the student hit my bare hands. Not like Floyd Sr. who does it for speed and accuracy. I do it for form and delivery. In other words, if I CAN catch your punch with my bare hand, you're not punching right, and you're not going to hurt the other fella. If you hit my hand and I have to shake it out, and can only stand to endure 1 or 2 shots, the punch is correct. I tell my guys "a person shouldn't be able to catch a boxer's punch."

Thank you. Arni is good to work with, though. I don't have to belittle him about constantly making mistakes. Dude hits like a truck, though. More than once I was concerned about him possibly breaking my hands. But I prefer the smaller mitts either way. Lately I've developed a habit of when instructing on punching form/fist formation, I let the student hit my bare hands. Not like Floyd Sr. who does it for speed and accuracy. I do it for form and delivery. In other words, if I CAN catch your punch with my bare hand, you're not punching right, and you're not going to hurt the other fella. If you hit my hand and I have to shake it out, and can only stand to endure 1 or 2 shots, the punch is correct. I tell my guys "a person shouldn't be able to catch a boxer's punch."

Makes sense.

You mean this won't work on your guys?

Wow, it's obvious he's a Segal fan, but no, I don't train boxers to fall down the second someone puts a little pressure on their shoulders.

EDIT: To clarify, though, I meant catch as in palm to fist.

Back