Some Baseball Players Who Should be in the Hall of Fame

When you were a kid in the 1950s? Didn't realize ppl your age knew how to use the internet, serious.

The Lions were on top of the NFL when I was a kid in the 1950's. For some nutty reason they traded Bobby Layne to the Steelers and I went to a Steelers Giants game in the late 50's in which Layne (well past his prime) made the excellent Giant defense look flatfooted and beat them.
Of course, the Red Wings had Gordie Howe, Ted Linsday, Red Kelly, Sawchuck, etc.
The Tigers also had - of course - the Ty Cobb era and the a great run in the 30's and 40's with Greenberg, Gehringer, etc.

Great Ty Cobb story - A kid comes to a Tiger practice and announces to the management that he can strike out Ty Cobb on 3 pitches. They have some spare time and the kid looks big and rangy and they need more pitching and so they put him on the mound and Cobb gets in the batter's box. He throws the first pitch and Cobb hits it over the centerfield fence. He throws the second pitch and Cobb hits a line drive off the left field wall. He throws the third pitch and Cobb hits it over the right field wall. At this point, they are starting to think that they should keep this kid around to help Cobb get into a groove.
Anyhow, the kid walks off the mound and over to the manager and says, "Are you sure that's Ty Cobb?"

lol at the story. i love the tigers history. they are underrated as a great alltime franchis in sports.

my first memories of the lions were the billy sims/ eric hipple/ gary danielson era. sims would have been a top 10 goat if he hadnt got hurt. i still remember the "another one bites the dust" song. "see billy run, you cant catch him with a gun." i am facebook friends with Bubba Baker. They had some fun players, but they were atrocious for most of my youth.

When you were a kid in the 1950s? Didn't realize ppl your age knew how to use the internet, serious.

I actually invented the Internet - I got really pissed when Al Gore tried to claim that he was the one so I hacked into a bunch of computers and threw the 2000 election to Bush (I've kind of regretted ever since it but - what the fuck - you have move on).

LOL at Drysdale not being in. In his 12 full years he had 200 wins, lifetime 2.95 era and k'd 230 + 5 times. Ten times more worthy then Trammel or Whitaker.

LOL at Drysdale not being in. In his 12 full years he had 200 wins, lifetime 2.95 era and k'd 230 + 5 times. Ten times more worthy then Trammel or Whitaker.
well, looking at your av, i can see you are not biased! drysdale had 209 wins to go along with 166 losses. not exactly an awesome win percentage. just 2 20 win seasons. and a 2.95 era in those days was not exactly incredible, especially considering the numbers that his teammate koufax, bob gibson and others were putting up. he is kind of like bert blyleven without the longevity and strikeouts. had he been on the tigers, he wouldnt have sniffed the HOF.

you laugh at whitaker and trammell, but its pretty easy to argue they are top 10 all time at their positions. drysdale was really, really good. i just said in my stricter hall of fame he wouldnt make the cut. in the one we have now, he belongs. he was a really good pitcher in the greatest era of pitching in history

Last edited:
Tigers fan so of course you like those two.

N. Ryan had 292 losses but was still pretty good. Drysdale had better w/l %. Drysdale got overlooked how good he was since his teammate was the best of all time. Same way the past few years Greinke would have been more recognized if he was not pitching each day after the best pitcher in the game today. The HOF will keep getting weaker as years go by since the standards will keep getting lower. If this guy is in then this guy needs to be in type stuff will keep happening. I have a talk each year a guy that has a vote each hear and his two sons. We go over all nominees each year. He thinks all the steroid guys will get in some day but make them wait a long time. 500 hr guys.

If Santo is in then Garvey is in. Both should be out though. I would love a real hall of fame for the really elite.

Drysdale is in the HOF.

If Santo is in then Garvey is in. Both should be out though. I would love a real hall of fame for the really elite.
I dunno. Santo had higher on base averages and was a Gold Glove fielder at third base versus a solid fielder at first base. You really have to compare Garvey with the other first basemen. I would definitely put Hodges in before Garvey - also probably Hernandez and Mattingly.

Mike Mussina
Tigers fan so of course you like those two.

N. Ryan had 292 losses but was still pretty good. Drysdale had better w/l %. Drysdale got overlooked how good he was since his teammate was the best of all time. Same way the past few years Greinke would have been more recognized if he was not pitching each day after the best pitcher in the game today. The HOF will keep getting weaker as years go by since the standards will keep getting lower. If this guy is in then this guy needs to be in type stuff will keep happening. I have a talk each year a guy that has a vote each hear and his two sons. We go over all nominees each year. He thinks all the steroid guys will get in some day but make them wait a long time. 500 hr guys.

in my version of the hall of fame, whitaker and trammell wouldnt be in. but by todays standards, they should be (along with Drysdale. your comparison to ryan is odd. off course he has more losses considering he pitched way longer. heck, cy young has over 300 losses. but ryan also had 300 wins. he also is far and away the all time strikeout leader, and had 7 no hitters. had drysdale stayed healthy and had 3 or so more good years, i think he has no problem getting in.

and remember he was my example of someone JUST outside my stricter hall of fame. it isnt like i was calling him bill mazeroski who has no business there. so your saying i think trammell and whitaker belong in over drysdale is not fair since i was not saying that

Albert Belle.

The guy was a monster in the 90s and was black balled by the lage at the age of 33 after a season where he hit .280 with 23 HR and 103 RBI.

His 172 game average was .295 40 HR and 130 RBI.

Dick Allen

162 game average in the dead ball era .292 33 HR 104 RBI. Lead the league in OPS 4 times and OPS+ 3 times
I agree on Belle

I also think Bonds and Clemens should be in as well.

Drysdale had a higher winning % then Ryan is why i compared them. I don't care about win/loss that much though. I play alot of fantasy baseball and I am # 1 BY FAR in my league in era, whip, k/9 yet cant buy a win. in 7th place or so. Very lucky stat no matter how good you pitch.

belle wasnt blackballed. his hip was shot
I still love all of the Belle quotes. Plus he tried running over trick or treaters with his car. That has to count for something.

Here's a page full of Belle quotes

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/quotes/albert_belle_quotes.shtml

It was absolutely true that media hated on him because he refused to interview. So they wrote all sorts of bad shit about the guy. In return, he treated them like dirt.. and so the cycle continued. It was life a self-fulfilling prophecy.

service was before he started to play full time, so hard to say how much it hurt him. he has a better case than many, but damn do yankees and dodgers get preferential treatment. had he been on the pirates, he wouldnt have got much consideration at all. considering how popular he was, it is amazing he didnt get in though.

Hodges would have gained more experience and had better stats if he didn't miss out on those seasons.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hodgegi01.shtml

Mike Mussina

in my version of the hall of fame, whitaker and trammell wouldnt be in. but by todays standards, they should be (along with Drysdale. your comparison to ryan is odd. off course he has more losses considering he pitched way longer. heck, cy young has over 300 losses. but ryan also had 300 wins. he also is far and away the all time strikeout leader, and had 7 no hitters. had drysdale stayed healthy and had 3 or so more good years, i think he has no problem getting in.

and remember he was my example of someone JUST outside my stricter hall of fame. it isnt like i was calling him bill mazeroski who has no business there. so your saying i think trammell and whitaker belong in over drysdale is not fair since i was not saying that

Schilling > Mussina

Back