Some Baseball Players Who Should be in the Hall of Fame

platypus44

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
1. Gil Hodges - 370 homers and great overall offensive performance, key figure on a team winning 6 pennants and 2 World Series, Gold Gloves, managed the Mets to one of the greatest upsets in sports history in 1969.
2. Pete Rose - somewhat of a douchebag but a great player with all sorts of records. The gambling case against him is thin.
3. Thurman Munson - Gold Gloves, key player on a great team, solid hitter, too few catchers in the HOF.
4. Ken Boyer - MVP, Gold Gloves, had batting average and power, too few third baseman in HOF and Boyer is better than many of them.
5. Jack Morris - 250+ victories. Key contributor to several pennant drives. Pitched 10 inning shut out in one of the greatest World Series games.
6. Joe Jackson - apparently played without shoes - best hitter of his time after Cobb and Speaker - only marginally involved in Black Sox Scandal and he has paid his dues.

Albert Belle.

The guy was a monster in the 90s and was black balled by the lage at the age of 33 after a season where he hit .280 with 23 HR and 103 RBI.

His 172 game average was .295 40 HR and 130 RBI.

Dick Allen

162 game average in the dead ball era .292 33 HR 104 RBI. Lead the league in OPS 4 times and OPS+ 3 times

Albert Belle.

The guy was a monster in the 90s and was black balled by the lage at the age of 33 after a season where he hit .280 with 23 HR and 103 RBI.

His 172 game average was .295 40 HR and 130 RBI.

Dick Allen

162 game average in the dead ball era .292 33 HR 104 RBI. Lead the league in OPS 4 times and OPS+ 3 times

I agree on Dick Allen.

There are quite a few player like Belle - home run power but did't quite make it to 400 home runs (Dave Parker, Colavito, Dale Murphy, Dwight Evans) - in this group Belle probably has the best peak performance. He has less defensive value that some of them and not much post-season play. I have to think it over some more.

There are quite a few player like Belle - home run power but did't quite make it to 400 home runs (Dave Parker, Colavito, Dale Murphy, Dwight Evans) - in this group Belle probably has the best peak performance. He has less defensive value that some of them and not much post-season play. I have to think it over some more.

He's not at 400 because the league black balled him. Do those guys have his batting average, slugging and on base?

Just looked up Murphy and he has 2 MVP'S and no HOF?

That's crazy to me.

Just looked up Murphy and he has 2 MVP'S and no HOF?

That's crazy to me.

Yeah - there are a number of position players who had one or a few great years that were out of context to the rest of their careers and it is hard to figure which of them should get in - Chuck Klein got in after waiting a long time, Lefty O'Doul hasn't gotten in, neither has Babe Herman. In more recent years - Roger Maris won an MVP in a year in which he didn't hit 61 homers - so he had at least 2 monster years, Norm Cash had that one monster year, George Foster had a couple of monster years, Fred Lynn won the MVP as a rookie but then disappointed, Vada Pinson also started strong and then faded. I would lean toward putting Dale Murphy in - possibly Belle as well - but there is a real "opening the floodgates" issue.

Carlos Delgado. Played in the steroid era WITHOUT roids

473 home runs and 1,512 RBI, he holds the all-time home run and RBI records among Puerto Rican players. He is one of only six players in Major League history to hit 30 home runs in ten consecutive seasons, becoming the fourth player to do so.

In 2000 he hit .344, along with 41 home runs, 57 doubles, and 137 RBI and finished FUCKING FOURTH in MVP voting.

lmao @ Delgado not being on roids. Every blue gay player has been on some sort of peds. Just look at their team now.

The problem with power hitters in the roid era is that many of them are - rightly or wrongly -suspected of using roids and, like good cars on the lot of a used car dealer with a reputation for selling lemons, they are unfairly tarnished. I am not sure what the solution is. Obviously, testing will help. Retrospectively, I think people will come around to the notion that many of them should get into the HOF. In the old days, 400 home runs pretty much guaranteed admission and 500 home runs put you up among the all time greats. We now have many, many players with 400 home runs who are not in the HOF and it will be interesting to see how the needle moves.

Here's a list of players with more HRs than Delgado who are no longer active and not in the HOF
1. Bonds - 762
2. Thome - 612
3. Sosa -609
4. McGwire - 583
5. Palmiero - 569
6. Manny - 555
7. Sheffield - 509
8. McGriff - 493
Did they all use steroids? We then have a huge number over 400 but below Delgado - again, did they all use steroids?

boyer? no way. maris? no way. munson? hell no.

its the hall of fame, not hall of really good. there are quite a few that got in that have no business there. thanks in large part to frankie frisch.

by the standards they do have, lou whitaker and alan trammell have a lot better cases than many already in.

as for the steroids, you have to let those guys in. because i guarantee you some of those already in did them too, they just didnt get caught.

also, its time for rose and jackson to get in

service was before he started to play full time, so hard to say how much it hurt him. he has a better case than many, but damn do yankees and dodgers get preferential treatment. had he been on the pirates, he wouldnt have got much consideration at all. considering how popular he was, it is amazing he didnt get in though.

service was before he started to play full time, so hard to say how much it hurt him. he has a better case than many, but damn do yankees and dodgers get preferential treatment. had he been on the pirates, he wouldnt have got much consideration at all. considering how popular he was, it is amazing he didnt get in though.

I also think he should get some credit for managing the Mets in 1969 - Hodges was a strong, silent type guy but was really a smart baseball guy. He didn't talk a lot so that the media didn't fully appreciate his managerial skills. His record as a player should be enough to get him in and the managing record is icing on the cake.

Back