[Solution?] Back-Squats without a Rack!

makemeking

White Belt
Reaction score
I think i maybe found a Solution to do Back-Squats, even if you do not have a Rack.

I never had the Money to buy myself a Power-Rack, and I'm expecting to never have it lol. So I thought about replacing Back Squats with Front Squats, Hack Squats, Steinborn Lift etc.

Now somehow, Chains got on my mind. Yep - Chains!

I thought about attaching Chains on each Side of the Barbel, attach the Plates to the Bottom of the Chains, and let the Chains hang just as long so i can fit underneath the Barbel in the Bottom Position of a Back Squat.

Now I don't know if the Intensity is exactly the same (it should be - right?), but this should be a lot saver than the Steinborn Lift by far! If you drop the Barbel, the Plates are going to fall onto the ground ... period. Better than having 200 lbs on your back with the Steinborn lift...

The only disadvantage i can think of right now is that you could get out of Balance if the Plates are swinging to much. But that might also cause you to tense your muscles more and cause you to use better technique.

Any Opinions on this?

If this works out, i think, finally all excuses NOT TO SQUAT are gone.

You'll be doing bottom-position squats.

Why not just use a pair of saw horses then?

(Hope you don't mind, Elevate)

Actually, if you've been looking for excuses not to squat, then I wouldn't even bother.

Try underwater basket weaving instead.

Yeah it really does! I'm going to look around for a pair of those...

Yeah it really does! I'm going to look around for a pair of those...

Home Depot, Menards, and Lowe's all carry something similar. The height is adjustable, they fold for storage, and they're rated for 1200 lbs.

I think i maybe found a Solution to do Back-Squats, even if you do not have a Rack.

I never had the Money to buy myself a Power-Rack, and I'm expecting to never have it lol. So I thought about replacing Back Squats with Front Squats, Hack Squats, Steinborn Lift etc.

Now somehow, Chains got on my mind. Yep - Chains!

I thought about attaching Chains on each Side of the Barbel, attach the Plates to the Bottom of the Chains, and let the Chains hang just as long so i can fit underneath the Barbel in the Bottom Position of a Back Squat.

Now I don't know if the Intensity is exactly the same (it should be - right?), but this should be a lot saver than the Steinborn Lift by far! If you drop the Barbel, the Plates are going to fall onto the ground ... period. Better than having 200 lbs on your back with the Steinborn lift...

The only disadvantage i can think of right now is that you could get out of Balance if the Plates are swinging to much. But that might also cause you to tense your muscles more and cause you to use better technique.

Any Opinions on this?

Genius idea, wish I had thought of it. Might still use it in the future - will buy some chains etc and take them when I go away from home.

The only advantage I see in doing it that way is that you can also use it as a chain-yoke.

Ive got sawhorses, they work fine. Dont think it really matters what you use, but I cant afford to make noise with weights hitting the floor ( I cant deadlift for this reason either), and using sawhorses makes no noise at all.

Im just not sure whether there wouldnt be too many problems and sawhorses are cheap, so why bother with chains...

I never had the Money to buy myself a Power-Rack, and I'm expecting to never have it lol.

Seriously? You can find a used rack for like $300.

You don't sound very optimistic.

Back