Solid players from the NBA nobody remembers

Marcus Camby
The original Calipari recruit!
I became a basketball fan watching him at Umass
Honestly one of the best to ever do it for a long long time.
I bet that guy could muster a few buckets today if you hgh/TRTed him.

The most underrated player of my generation:

6GD6GEMB6JHWPAVD76CVMK7ZJI.jpg

Being a Clipper during that era didn't do anything for the visibility of Darius Miles or Corey Maggette's legacies, either.

Is that Elton Brand? Yeah, dude was a decent player.

Jermaine O’Neal (sp) would be another one I’d throw out there.

Steve Francis never gets brought up anymore either.

Being a NY guy, gotta go with Herb Williams. He was basically the “back up QB” to Patrick Ewing. He’d play 10 minutes a game but would always leave an impact. Fans loved him, the NY media loved him, he was basically the Nick Foles of the Knicks.

Always thought Doug Christie was severely underrated. One of the better perimeter defenders in the NBA and could run the offense from the 2 guard spot.

Doug-Christie-660x400-360x220.jpg

Also had a solid uppercut.

solidreliablebeagle-max-1mb.gif
It's funny, modern analytics retroactively love Christie. Webber, not so much

Petrovic had balls of steel and was incredibly competitive. Doncic has a lot to live up to in those metrics.

Anyone remember the Petrovic - Jordan battles? They were pretty good. This was a time when euro players weren't taken seriously.
This whole vid is a great watch

Loved the part with Stockton talking about how Petrovic was the only foreign player with zero fear vs the Dream Team. Coming from a guy like John Stockton, that's high praise

Michael Adams. He didn't have a textbook shooting form, but he was a one time all-star and averaged 26 ppg/10 apg in another season.

LOL I was going to come in and Post Cedric Ceballos, Dale Harris ruined this mans career he ha a big time rise in LA and just fell off. Also include Nick Van Exel and Eddie Jones in the mix.

What's the analytical problem with Webber? Inefficiency and lack of defense later in his career?
Yeah the inefficient volume shooting was really unnecessary in that offense, and it tended to go from meh to actually hurting the team in the yoffs. His league adjusted TS was 98 (100 = average) in SAC during the regular season and his TS dropped from .508% reg season to .486% in the yoffs

It was a horrible offensive era in general for the NBA so he kinda gets a pass for that, but then with Webber out in 2004 the Kangz jumped to a historically elite +7.4 relative ORTG without him

It's kinda unfair to retroactively apply modern metrics/standards to previous era players, but Webber was a guy where your own eye test could tell you he was an unreliable lead scorer. You just got the feeling all those midrange elbow jumpers (which he wasn't even consistently good at) were less than ideal but Webber always fancied himself a "finesse" player and even resented the idea of playing like a center closer to the basket

Regarding his defense, he was probably underrated in that the spike in offense without him also came with a massive defensive dropoff in team DRTG. There was more going on than just Brad Miller taking Webber's role and the team was aging in general, but still they were consistently a top 10 defense with Webber

the razor FAUST with the UNDENIABLE facts

Its wild the disparity between different RotY

It seems like most put up Tyreke Evans type respectable numbers, or Brogdon

But then you have extreme outliers like Jordan, Shaq and David Robinson

Yeah the inefficient volume shooting was really unnecessary in that offense, and it tended to go from meh to actually hurting the team in the yoffs. His league adjusted TS was 98 (100 = average) in SAC during the regular season and his TS dropped from .508% reg season to .486% in the yoffs

It was a horrible offensive era in general for the NBA so he kinda gets a pass for that, but then with Webber out in 2004 the Kangz jumped to a historically elite +7.4 relative ORTG without him

It's kinda unfair to retroactively apply modern metrics/standards to previous era players, but Webber was a guy where your own eye test could tell you he was an unreliable lead scorer. You just got the feeling all those midrange elbow jumpers (which he wasn't even consistently good at) were less than ideal but Webber always fancied himself a "finesse" player and even resented the idea of playing like a center closer to the basket

Regarding his defense, he was probably underrated in that the spike in offense without him also came with a massive defensive dropoff in team DRTG. There was more going on than just Brad Miller taking Webber's role and the team was aging in general, but still they were consistently a top 10 defense with Webber

That's pretty much spot on. I remember the elbow jumpers being infuriating. He had solid post moves and could score efficiently with his back to the basket but he would always step out and try to hit those elbow jumpers to where he would shoot the team right out of the game sometimes.

As his injuries piled up, his defense, blocked shots and rebounds went down. He also strayed away from the interior and popped those 15ft shots a lot more often. He was as flashy as any player but he could play gritty as well and just didn't do it when they really needed him to.

He messed up the chemistry bad that year after his knee injury when they were the best team in the league but I still wish they never traded him. Not only because they got jack shit for him but they owed it to him for resigning in Sac when no other top player wanted to. It's just the finger pointing got bad when they never won a championship. It started with Webber and then moved on to Peja, then Miller, then Bibby and then it was all Adelman's fault. All wrong decisions IMO but hey at least they've righted the ship since then and drafted Bagley instead of Doncic.

<Huh2>

That's pretty much spot on. I remember the elbow jumpers being infuriating. He had solid post moves and could score efficiently with his back to the basket but he would always step out and try to hit those elbow jumpers to where he would shoot the team right out of the game sometimes.

As his injuries piled up, his defense, blocked shots and rebounds went down. He also strayed away from the interior and popped those 15ft shots a lot more often. He was as flashy as any player but he could play gritty as well and just didn't do it when they really needed him to.

He messed up the chemistry bad that year after his knee injury when they were the best team in the league but I still wish they never traded him. Not only because they got jack shit for him but they owed it to him for resigning in Sac when no other top player wanted to. It's just the finger pointing got bad when they never won a championship. It started with Webber and then moved on to Peja, then Miller, then Bibby and then it was all Adelman's fault. All wrong decisions IMO but hey at least they've righted the ship since then and drafted Bagley instead of Doncic.

<Huh2>
And after all that, they still would've had a ship if not for the friendly/rigged

George Mirashan or however you say it, his only claim to fame was being one of, if not the tallest players eva. It was him and Bradley is my heyday. Ironically I think he was 7’7”

no Sean Elliot love? Epic 3 point guy from the Spurs.

Sean Elliot, Vinney Del Negro, Steve Smith, Kevin Willis, Glen Robinson, Jerome Kersey

bam July 7th, love me some Sean Elliot

This whole vid is a great watch

Loved the part with Stockton talking about how Petrovic was the only foreign player with zero fear vs the Dream Team. Coming from a guy like John Stockton, that's high praise

this guys voice is so fucking ghey i hate this video

You mean post knee injury?

Last edited:
You mean post knee injury?
I was referring to 2004 Kangz vs the previous versions with healthy Webber

Here's their ORTG and relative ORTG by year:

2000: 105.0 (+0.9)
2001: 105.6 (+2.6)
2002: 109.0 (+4.5)
2003: 105.9 (+2.3)
2004: 110.3 (+7.4)

The jump in 2002 was when they acquired Mike Bibby for Jason Williams and Webber only played 54 games. Then in 2003 Webber played 67 games and they fell off, then in 2004 with Webber playing only 23 games they made a huge leap

Back