Solid players from the NBA nobody remembers

3 that I recall that played in cities I lived are:

Kelly Tripucka
Armen Gilliam
Purvis Short
I liked his nickname "The Hammer", and he may or may not have gotten the nickname from the baking soda brand. RIP Armen.

s-l400.jpg

Always thought Doug Christie was severely underrated. One of the better perimeter defenders in the NBA and could run the offense from the 2 guard spot.

Doug-Christie-660x400-360x220.jpg

agreed on doug christie, always thought he was underrated as a complete player who could shoot, handle the ball, run the offense and guard the other teams best wing. But damn did he freeze up in some of those big moments for the kings. He wanted nothing to do with the ball down the stretch of a tight playoff game.

my pick to add to this thread is Trevor Ruffin. He was a 6-1 sg who went undrafted and only lasted 2 seasons in the nba. But those 2 seasons from 1994-1996, he played in the nba rookie game despite only averaging 6.5 mpg as a rookie. But then his second season, he averaged 25mpg and 13ppg with 23 starts in 61 games and shot the 3 ball well. He was instant offense. But then that was it, nba over after 2 years. Not sure what happened to him.

Danny Manning
Cliff Robinson
Jerome Kersey
Buck Williams
Keith Van Horn

1. Early Clippers curse guy. Never quite lived up to expectations but was a damn good player before injuries derailed him.
2-4. Loved that Late 80s-Early 90s Trail Blazers squad. Might as well throw in Terry Porter too. They were unlucky to not make another Finals during that run.
5. I'm willing to die on the following hill. Keith Van Horn would've been a perennial All-Star, All-Nba player had he not given into the temptation to bulk up to be a big 4, instead of the lanky athletic stretch 4 that he was. He got too bulky and broke down after his 3rd, 4th season and then was never the same. Was promptly replaced by K-mart around 2000, 2001. What a waste of talent.

One of my favorites. An un-blckable jump shot. Would routinely go 1 on 5 in the middle of an NBA game.

Ithink he has a strong case for the hall of fame. he is the only player to avg. 30 for a year who is not in. he also averaged over 20 for his career. not to mention the coolest name in league history

Mario Elie. He's remembered for the "Kiss of Death" against Phoenix, but he was a huge role in sweeping the Magic in the Finals:

16.3 pts per game on 65% shooting, 57% 3pt, 90% FT, 4.3 REB, 3.3 AST, 2.0 ST.

His D was always on point. They didn't call him the "Junkyard Dog" for nuffin.

screengrab-mario-elie-kiss-death-1995.jpg

Last edited:
Always thought Doug Christie was severely underrated. One of the better perimeter defenders in the NBA and could run the offense from the 2 guard spot.

Doug-Christie-660x400-360x220.jpg

Also had a solid uppercut.

solidreliablebeagle-max-1mb.gif
He was always so overrated in fantasy leagues because of his steals per game.

Back