1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Solicit feedback from your training partners

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by RussSommers, Aug 26, 2010.

1. RussSommers

RussSommers Yellow Belt

My instructor advised us to evaluate our training partners and attempt to combat their strengths rather than their weaknesses. As a result, I've recently started asking my training partners to take a minute after a roll to point out the mistakes I made during the roll that were evident to them. I already feel like some of the changes I made have improved my game. Granted I have a long way to go, but this has definitely been a big help.

2. knoxpk

knoxpk Black Belt

Certainly, if someone says to you "you always give me ____ when I break your posture" You are likely to not do ____ when he breaks your posture.

Also video of your rolls will do you a world of good!

3. MaiLeeGoodFck**

MaiLeeGoodFck** White Belt

yeah but this will be bad when you go to competitions cuz you wont know anything about the guy you go up against

4. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

Post roll breakdowns absolutely help. Students learning from each other is a great tool.

5. Hillary

Hillary Brown Belt

I have my students and training partners do this sometimes as well, but with one condition...only ONE tip per roll. People tend to focus too much on too many things too quickly, and it becomes one big jumbled confusing mess in their head. Keep it simple, skippy. :)

6. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Good call. I watch people at open mat sharing technique advice with each other and they tend to move so fast and want to cram in so many techniques that I wonder how they can possibly remember any of it.

7. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

I find that there is often times when you end up in a status quo position, then you can correct the person doing it so their technique works, or instead of applying the submission when you have it you coach them into the right escape

I would be little to no use after the roll as I kinda zone out(I am of viking heritage so I probably spazz out and go berserk but anyhow)

8. HomerPlata

HomerPlata Purple Belt

Disagree. He's not asking for tips to "win" against his training partners, he's asking where he's going wrong - in order to fill gaps before competing.

9. RussSommers

RussSommers Yellow Belt

We all exchange information like this frequently, I don't care necessarily about "winning" rolls in training, I train to improve.

For example yesterday I was rolling with a training partner who is an excellent wrestler and has awesome top position, I pulled butterfly guard from the get go and tried defending his passes. He pointed out that I let my head get "lazy" which led to him going for a guillotine. During the his guillotine attempt he was trying to finish but his arms weren't in good position to finish so I told him, "Either adjust your arms or give up the choke, I am breathing ok."

After the roll he showed me what what I was doing with my head and we took a minute to drill the guillotine and RNC finishes because he'd had issues finishing a few times.

It's helped me break down my training partners games as well as my own.

As for the remark about not knowing anything about whom you are competing against, I can only train to be the best me when I step onto the mat. The rest is up to god.

10. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

Imo there is a lot of scouting going on at Bjj tournaments, especially at Purple and above. By that point there is usually footage to watch and you may have competed against, or at least seen the people in your divisions compete a few times.

11. esum80

esum80 แทงเข่าขวา

best way to learn is from your mistakes...and by getting your ass kicked.