Solar plexus vs Liver shot

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by roventu, Aug 2, 2015.

1. roventu

roventu Brown Belt

Which one do you think is a more vulnerable/sensitive target, which one do you think is more open to various strikes?

I've had the pleasure of being dropped in sparring by both shots, i think the solar plexus shot hurt me much more because i was coming in while he was doing the front kick. the punch to the liver was just not seen and took the wind out of me, but I almost wanted to vomit after the solar plexus one. I dont know if the response was because of the impact level, or different response from different target region. feel free to leave your own experiences haha

are punches less effective than kicks when doing body shots, because of the bigger padded glove, whereas the shin/instep of the foot can sink into the stomach more?

thanks

2. lukewall

lukewall Green Belt

When your body gets more conditioned, the shots to the solar plexus still suck but they suck a lot less.

The liver shot never stops being horrible.

A.S. Deep likes this.
  3. Varth

Varth Green Belt

Taking a good kick to the liver always made me feel much worse than taking a punch

4. blastar

blastar Orange Belt

Liver shots are much, much worse than a shot to the solar plexus.

5. yookfarb

yookfarb Red Belt

liver shot all day every day

6. bangwhosnext

bangwhosnext Yellow Belt

I was never hit in the liver, but got a few solar plexus shots landed on me...

they hurt like a bish.

Also you get the wind taken out of you which is a double whammy.

7. DoctorTaco

DoctorTaco Breadhead

Liver strikes make me want to take my ball and go home.

8. Chungungo

Chungungo Getting some snow

Liver shot hurts more while I guess there are still famous KO with solar plexus punch...anyway someone told me that what hurts is the pancreas...

9. UniqueSteez

UniqueSteez Be water my friend. Platinum Member

Definitely the liver I got dropped by a kick to the liver a week ago did not feel nice.

10. Fire of Youth

Fire of Youth Green Belt

I've never taken a good liver shot. What does it feel like? You see massive brawlers get dropped with them so I know they must be debilitating.

I have taken a quite a few solar plexus shots and I feel like I'm going to die every single time. It is horrible.

11. FierceRedBelt

FierceRedBelt Red Belt

This, it's fight ending and there's absolutely nothing you can do. You can usually run and hope for some mercy with most solarplexus shots.

I will say I've eaten a side kick to the solarplexus that felt (and sounded) like it cracked my sternum and it wasn't right for months after that. I was a really stupid kid back then and just kept quiet about it.

Both really suck.

12. MuayThaiDude

MuayThaiDude Yellow Belt

I took two, consecutive, medium hard knee shots to the solar plexus and wanted to drop but just hunched over instead. I thought the ref would give an 8 count but didn't. I put my hand out to touch gloves (foolish) and he punched me straight in the nose, haha. Lesson learned.

Maybe it was the heat of the headgear and thick shirt but afterwords I felt flush and eventually stomach was really cramped; took the wind right out of me. I was surprised, it didn't seem like that hard of a hit. But I had a nice bruise for a week right dead center of the solar plexus so he must have got me with the boney part of the knee.

Never been hit hard in the liver but heard it awful.

13. Azam

Azam Brown Belt

It's like a really deep stinging I can't breathe properly sort of pain. Mine happened during sparring - was totally exhausted & reacted slowly and got tagged hard. I was able to nudge it off after stretching it out for like a couple of mins but it was sore as hell the next day.

Also I wouldn't rule out a good shot to the solar plexus either. I've seen too many guys get tagged cleanly with solid shots to the solar plexus in sparring and for them to go down in what looks like a lot of pain - it's worse when you're already exhausted and breathing heavily. Knowing how to time a body shot as someone is breathing or getting someone to breathe in on purpose so you can throw that body shot is a killer skill to have.

14. aries

aries Silver Belt

With a good solar plexus shot your diaphragm freezes up. You can't breathe at all and the pain is crippling but you can sometimes recover if you can just survive the next 20 seconds while doubled over with no oxygen. That isn't an option with a good liver shot.

15. G8xx

G8xx White Belt

Liver shot any day.

16. Soul Rebel 2

Soul Rebel 2 Black Belt

Liver shots are far more debilitating but I've eaten clean shots to the region without feeling the effects, I cant say the same about the solar plexus.

17. Orni

Orni Purple Belt

Liver shots, i would say.

I don't recall ever being hit with a really hard shot to the solar plexus though so i might be wrong here. I've dropped / stunned people with quite light kicks to the liver though so i'm pretty sure that is the worst. Only time i've been dropped in sparring was from a spinning back kick to the liver also, that stuff is legit.

18. Tayski

Tayski Stand-up Fighting

the liver target is bigger to aim for and it is more painful.
    solar plexus is a good target, but it's more difficult to find the right spot to really hurt / stop the breathing of your opponent. It also doesn't hurt as much, it usually just stops you from breathing properly.

19. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

Liver shot, solar plexus sucks esp. when I'm not expecting getting smashed downstairs, but the liver shot is on another level.

I think the punches to the liver needs to be very precise (more technical) compared to a kick. The weight of the leg makes the kick more damaging imo

20. roventu

roventu Brown Belt

I think its because half the liver is covered by the ribs still, while the other half isn't.
    The thing is, I think the unprotected half is still covered by the love handles (aka oblique muscles).

Whereas the solar plexus sinks in, there's nothing covering it. Of course, you have to be a little more precise, because the solar plexus is a little smaller region, above it is the sternum, and below it are the abs (which you can contract to absorb some of the bodyshot) - although both of those regions can still do some damage.

Interesting responses so far. Would you guys say that liver shots are more damaging, while solar plexus shots are more common?