Sokoudjou - the man who's fought in every major MMA promotion ever

Being a journeyman is highly underrated by Sherdoggers. You travel the world and truly live life while getting paid to train and fight. It's an awesome gig and any of us would be lucky to try it.

Yes, almost anyone would love a stab at the UFC. But just like Soccer and the big clubs/leagues, that pinnacle comes with so much BS and politics, some are happier to spend their time doing what they love and being appreciated where they are.

Being a journeyman is horrible. Soko has been (technically or cleanly) knocked out 8 times--of course that doesn't count the tons of damage he's taken in fights where he's lost other ways, or even won. If you want to get your ass kicked on the way to achieving some burning passion to become the best in the world, I understand that. Some guys are completely driven and will regret every day of their lives if they don't try.

But if it's clear that's not going to happen, I don't see how it's highly underrated to get your head bashed on day in and day out for a few dozen thousands of dollars (I hope even that much). Fighters don't get a pension or lifelong medical care.

Last edited:
http://nypost.com/2014/06/05/owner-of-classic-mma-knockout-returns-to-us-bouts/

Sokoudjou was just recently signed to Bellator, making him one of if not the only man to fight in UFC, WEC, Affliction, Pride, Bellator, Strikeforce, Dream, you name it.

Here's a recent article on his reaction to signing with Bellator and his plans there within.

Is he not also worthy of being recognised as the first native fighter from Africa to perform at a high level in MMA? He is from Cameroon which is where his Judo pedigree comes from I believe and like you say fought in PRIDE FFS. I think he is often overlooked in this regard, if you think about how much the African continent is now taking to MMA and how much potential is there Sokoudjou will be seen by many as a founding father. Perhaps I am wrong. I know many SA fighters were already active but I think he has his role there too as the first guy to inspire West Africa. I wish him well, there is not a Soku fight I did not look forward to and the same goes for his Bellator debut

Being a journeyman is horrible. Soko has been (technically or cleanly) knocked out 8 times--of course that doesn't count the tons of damage he's taken in fights where he's lost other ways, or even won. If you want to get your ass kicked on the way to achieving some burning passion to become the best in the world, I understand that. Some guys are completely driven and will regret every day of their lives if they don't try.

But if it's clear that's going to happen, I don't see how it's highly underrated to get your head bashed on day in and day out for a few dozen thousands of dollars (I hope even that much). Fighters don't get a pension or lifelong medical care.

Well we will see. Health is the most important thing we possess but if he achieves greatness in Bellator.... well I guess we were too quick to judge. I don't like the idea of pugilistic dementia either but there are many fighters who have been KOed more than 8 times still vying for titles around the world... possibly

I remember being 100% convinced that Soko was the next big thing. Then Machida happened and its like it broke him. Would really like to see him make some kind of comeback.

I remember being 100% convinced that Soko was the next big thing. Then Machida happened and its like it broke him. Would really like to see him make some kind of comeback.

That comeback train passed by a long time ago. Sok is the definition of a flash in the pan fighter. The only reason anyone cares is because he won two fights 7 years ago. The guy pulled a Matt Serra twice, which is very endearing. After those two wins his career has been a mess 10-11 post Pride, 9-9 post UFC it's not even against the Toughest competition.

that's cool I have always been a fan of him, didn't realize he's fought in so many organizations
may not be one the best out there but definitely a pioneer of the sport

He never fought in the IFL, he missed his chance to be a Silverback.

Awesome that he won. My brothers favorite fighter made it a better night.

Yes - good win for Soko.

He looked great tonight.

hes always been exciting. thats a very cool achievement, and no one will ever do it again, because many of those organizations are now defunct.

so if he never got the gold Soku can go down as me. universe, the fighter who traveled the world and fought in every big show there was

What about YAMMA Pit or something like that.

You can't say you train UFC if you didn't fight there.

YAMMA was the greatest MMA show to ever go down

beankick.gif

except maybe for maybe Ultimate XPlosion 12, another "MMA" org that Sokoudjou never fought in

[YT]5YqGj0-q7zw[/YT]

Sokoudjou actually showed a ground game tonight, that ground and pound was scary. Hope nothing but the best.

Soko was actually crap last night. He kept losing position on the ground and missed chances to end the fight much earlier. His opponent had no ground game at all. And also being as strong and as athletic as he is, his ground and pound should be much more brutal.

Back