SOHP Form Check Please

calvus

Getting Crunk
@purple
Reaction score
Here is a video of my last 2 sets of Overhead Press work today - 3x125 & 5x140.

After looking at the video, I can see the right arm is lagging a bit on some of the reps.

Any comments or tips are appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

Side angle tends to be better for this...

My inferior eye sees no wrongdoings.

its almost impossible to get a good form check from front view, maybe bust out the camera next week for side view of your work sets?

ok - thanks! side angle next time...

Though, you will want to try and rack it by walking into the rack and squatting down, rather than placing it there with your arms.

It's hard to tell from this angle, but it seems that your wrists are bent back quite a bit. Try and have the bar inline with your forearm.

Yes, I am using a thumbless grip - thumbs on the same side of the bar as my fingers. I think thats probably why my hands appear to be bent so far back...

I can use a different grip, but I read somewhere (or saw on youtube) someone recommending the thumbs-in grip for overhead press. So I switched to that & it feels fine...

For bench I have my thumbs around the bar in a normal grip.

I see nothing really wrong there.Hard to tell though as was mentioned earlier.

Yes, I am using a thumbless grip - thumbs on the same side of the bar as my fingers. I think thats probably why my hands appear to be bent so far back...

I can use a different grip, but I read somewhere (or saw on youtube) someone recommending the thumbs-in grip for overhead press. So I switched to that & it feels fine...

Aren't you kinda worried that the bar may pop out of your grip on a tough rep?

From what I can see, you're doing a lot of things right -- no knee drive, generally the bar goes up smoothly and evenly, you push your head through.

You may want to try to be more explosive as you start each rep, in the sense of trying to push the bar up really hard.

I'm not an expert here, but I feel like if you have your hands bent far back like that for the thumbless grip that your hand acts as a shock absorber. This would potentially mean that you require more force to lift the weight than if that same weight was positioned directly over the forearms.

Plus it would scare the crap out of me to have a heavy weight over my head in a thumbless grip.

Does changing to a solid grip change the amount of weight that you can press (in either a positive or negative way)?

Interesting points on the grip...

The barbell feels secure to me in the thumbless grip, I don't think its going to pop out. I've got big hands, maybe that helps...I dunno. However, the comment about keeping the weight centered more over the forearm might make sense. Dave Tate mentions this in one of his videos on benching. Might apply to pressing as well, I'm not sure.

Next Monday I'll try a standard grip & see how it feels. Of course, next week is a scheduled deload week, so I may not have a good feel for it for a few weeks.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Back