Softening the gi...

BobSacamano

White Belt
Reaction score
Been doing BJJ for about 4 months and finally got a decent gi. I got a gold weave mundial Atama.

I have 2 questions...

I have an A4 top which is 200-250, I am 217 at the moment. It is a tad big, but just a little in the sleeves and maybe shoulders. The girl at Atama said to wash it in cold water first, see if it shrinks a bit and if not, try washing it in warm water and it should shrink a bit.

Anyone familiar with this?

Also, is there a way to soften up the gi? After they air dry they can practically get up and walk on their own. I was hoping the Atama top would be softer. The pants definitely are...any suggestions?

I have an Atama gold and it is (actually was) quite stiff. I washed it and put about 5x the usual amount of LIQUID fabric softner in the wash. It's MUCH softer now.

Good luck.

Cageside

After your gi air dries, you can throw it in the dryer on the "air" or "fluff" setting with no heat for a few minutes. This will soften it up considerably.

Considering you came up with the idea for the rubber band on the paddle-ball, I think you can cook something up for the gi.

No heat tumble/fluff or low heat if you have no fear of shrinkage.

Considering you came up with the idea for the rubber band on the paddle-ball, I think you can cook something up for the gi.

You're right, but ever since I left that mental institution, where they tried that electroshock therapy and it had no effect on me because my synapses were so large I have been preoccupied with other things...

Whenever I get a new gi, I wash it in warm water only to get the shrinking out of the way. After that, I only wash in cold and I air-dry.

As for softening the gi, you can use fabric softener and toss it into the dryer all you want. But nothing softens it up as much as good ol' wear-and-tear. Get a few more months of sparring and rolling in and that should do the trick :)

I've been washing my gi on warm with a fuck load of fabric softer then tossing it in the dryer (ignoring the air dry rule) it is slowly becoming softer.... but not much

I've been washing my gi on warm with a massive load of fabric softer then tossing it in the dryer (ignoring the air dry rule) it is slowly becoming softer.... but not much

Back