Society's view of BJJ

Funny, I find that guys I work with think I'm way more of a bad ass than I really am. Most are very interested in moves especially the self defense stuff and really like it when I get to work at their Fire house because we can do some technique training for pt. I just go with it. It's nice to be a 42 year old man with a tough guy rep. Please don't tell anyone here in Boise it's not true.

Hey dude, well I am a bond broker. IE sales. So I cover solely institutional accounts (Hedge Funds/Money Managers/Insurance Companies etc). Basically I buy and sell bonds for accounts (it is fun when you are making money haha). I do the same thing as you :) structured products, mortgage backed securities (mostly Non-Agency distressed paper), Credit Cards, Autos, Student Loans and HEQ. Aside from autos and cc's most everything I do is distressed debt. I do trade Corporates and Munis but not as much.

Hah my background? Went to a DII school and studied entrepreneurship/business management. Funny thing is it's because of Brasil that I got the job I have. Went to a Brasilian independence day party with some brasilian girls, one introduced me to her BF who was a MBS trader in Austin. Made friends with him and he got me the hookup for a job interview, I took it from there.

Now I am in Dallas trading bonds and training BJJ with Carlos Machado haha. BUT what I really want to do is trade commodities/currencies OR own my own business. Bonds are my least favorite financial instrument and only took the job to get onto the trading floor which is one of the hardest jobs to get.

PM me if you want.

Well bro that's a pretty seet gig you got yourself. You are right that you are in one of these spots that are pretty tough to get in.

"Basically I buy and sell bonds for accounts (it is fun when you are making money haha). "

>> so you are running a book for your clients, i.e. you are on the trading side. Pretty cool.

The way you got your job is also pretty cool and unexpected LOL. Brazilian chicks ftw.

About your comment on commodities and FX, not so sure though. I think Fixed Income is a pretty good place to be. Commodities and especially FX are way too speculative in my opinion. You just can't have a clue what's going on (market just way too huge and fragmented) unless you're on the phone with someone moving extremely huge sums. Must be pretty cool though, but I'd never risk my own cash on it :)

This is an interesting discussion for me. I'm in private equity and I have often considered whether or not I should tell a soul who I work with or around about my BJJ/Muay Thai obsession. And it has become something that I love more than anything. As I've progressed, I grown more and more dismissive of all these guys in my profession who are always trying to one-up others and act superior. I respect the guys I train with more than just about anyone else. I am genuinely concerned that my training could be career limiting. Most are like me, MBA's from good schools, finance gearheads, etc. What are your beliefs on this?

Well like the Zenprodigy dude, you also got yourself a really good job. Not sure what exactly you are doing, but PE firms are really at the top of the food chain.
I work for the LBO department of my bank and my job is to manage the senior tranches (although we also have participations in subordinated tranches but that isn't the norm) we funded for your (your fellow PE guys') deals.
Let's say I'm a couple notches down the food chain from you.

My beliefs (since you asked) regarding what you wrote is that you should limit your combat sport obsession from becoming career limiting. You obviously invested alot of time, energy and money (MBA from good school) getting where you are, unless you come from a wealthy blue blood background (nothing wrong with that) and got everything easily.

The point is that you should see yourself as pretty blessed to be where you are. Go have a look at CFA exam, CAIA exam, FRM exam discussion for Chartered Financial Analyst candidates if you want to see dudes who studied their asses off, eat and breathe finance and can't find a job as a bank teller.

If it just comes down to subjective things like identifying yourself to your coworkers, I would say you can have both aspects in your life if you completely separate the 2 of them.
Unless your time in your PE job eats your life away and you don't have the time to train and it is making you unhappy, I don't see how one should interfere with the other if you come in with the right approach.

I just tell them its kinda similar to Judo. People usually kinda get it and then of course someone says a random dumb comment like Judo chop or atleast something along those lines.

The guy won't be making fun of you if you throw down with him and put him in a flying armbar.

I run into this elitest douchbag bias all the time. It just comes from the fact that people don't know what real fighting is. They either think that BJJ is a bunch of gays rolling around on a mat or they think that MMA is "human cockfighting" (Thank You John McCain...)

So you aren't alone. I'm actually gonna try and take my dad to one of my uncomming tournaments to show him whats up.

another thing ive heard is 'oh yeh i used to do kung fu/karate/whatever' and then i think to myself about how many people on this forum would think they were a pussy and get cocky.

but really if they were training crocop eyepokes and yvel nut shots im pretty sure they would beat up me and most of the people on here that would try and pull guard etc in a fight just by suprise lol. talking about it shouldnt be a pissing contest though imho.

it boils down to either they are phased by it and react wierd or they arent, and act normally. a lot of people dont know what bjj so they naturally ask questions but thats a good thing because then more normal people will know about it and instead of being 'whats that?' they will be like 'oh yeh my cousin/coworker/friend does that'

Honestly I think the fact that I'm African-American (dark-skinned) changes how people respond to hearing I do BJJ. Usually its just kind of a ," Oh wow, really?" response. The only people who do the whole ," Oh so you think you can beat me up." routine are the older tough folks such as bikers, fathers, ect.Oh and of course all my boxing coaches and teammates speak negatively on it. Anytime someone around my age wants to challenge me its more of that ," I know your going to fuck me up , I just want to see how." Anyway I really try hard to hide the fact I do BJJ. I feel it kind of changes peoples perception of me when I'm around; I go from the big black guy to the big black guy who enjoys fighting.

Never tell people I do BJJ. If I do, I get the UFC/MMA mumbo-jumbo. I usually say I wrestle, and people say "Oh, that's cool".

on a side note i know plenty of judoka who view bjj as barbaric and gay..even though they're sister arts and contain nearly almost exactly the same thing

Really? Where do you train? I've met a lot of judoka over the years, through competing, training and refereeing, and I don't think I've met a single one, from Olympic medalists to rank beginners, who think BJJ is barbaric and/or gay. Some will say (and I hasten to point out that I disagree strongly) that BJJ is just an aspect of judo, but I've never heard any other criticism of it. :confused:

MMA on the other hand I've heard a minority of judoka call barbaric, though again never gay.

You work in a bourgeois industry. The bourgeoisie usually doesn't fight its own battles, it has other people do it for them (namely, police and soldiers, who typically aren't rich or fellow members of their class), so of course your training will strike your co-workers as odd.

Right, I got that. If you just joke along with them and show that it doesn't bother you then most of the time they will stop because they realize it is not getting to you. The problem I have is that RESPECT is my #1 view point and even though I don't like certain things a lot of people do I still respect them and do not make fun of what they do etc. I have a problem with them not respecting my choice of extracurricular activity.

In other words it is an insult to my character.

I love joking around and having fun etc but it is a different kind of joking around when you know your friends are just busting your balls, but when you don't consider these people your friends then how can you accept their "jokes about BJJ etc" as just "busting your balls." Because really it is not, just like the guy told me one day, "his jokes always are half true at least in his case"

The old adage "most jokes have some modicum of truth to them" applies here.

I don't think it is written anywhere that you have to respect others choice of extracurricular activity. If I make sculptures from condoms and fish bones and you don't "respect" it, am I entitled to something? What if I'm passionate about my sculptures and you don't think it's cool? People do ridiculous shit in their spare time (not that BJJ is) and rarely does the ability of your coworkers to appreciate it have anything to do with having a friendly working environment.

Also, it is not an insult to your character IMO, but simply him advertising his own stupidity. If it is an insult, it's actually aimed at a misapprehension of your character. They are not actually insulting you or the art, because they don't understand either. This would be like some foreigner coming to the U.S. on Halloween and seeing someone dressed as a Nazi and saying "you're a d-bag because ..." They don't see the reality of the situation, just as the coworker lacks an understanding of what BJJ is and who you are in reality.

If the guy is just an asshole (which is a different scenario) and if you're truly upset and don't want to just trade trash talk (which I love to do, b/c I'm a smartass) then stonewall him with business protocol. You should clearly and intelligently point out how his understanding and viewpoints on the subject are ignorant. Say that he is taking his comments too far and that you consider it "very unprofessional" for him to be harassing you about it while at work. Then, and this is pivotal, call him a racist loudly when a lot of people are around so that everyone in the office can hear you. It works every time. He'll learn.

Last edited:
I don't think it is written anywhere that you have to respect others choice of extracurricular activity. If I make sculptures from condoms and fish bones and you don't "respect" it, am I entitled to something? What if I'm passionate about my sculptures and you don't think it's cool? People do ridiculous shit in their spare time (not that BJJ is) and rarely does the ability of your coworkers to appreciate it have anything to do with having a friendly working environment.

Also, it is not an insult to your character IMO, but simply him advertising his own stupidity. If it is an insult, it's actually aimed at a misapprehension of your character. They are not actually insulting you or the art, because they don't understand either. This would be like some foreigner coming to the U.S. on Halloween and seeing someone dressed as a Nazi and saying "you're a d-bag because ..." They don't see the reality of the situation, just as the coworker lacks an understanding of what BJJ is and who you are in reality.

If the guy is just an asshole (which is a different scenario) and if you're truly upset and don't want to just trade trash talk (which I love to do, b/c I'm a smartass) then stonewall him with business protocol. You should clearly and intelligently point out how his understanding and viewpoints on the subject are ignorant. Say that he is taking his comments too far and that you consider it "very unprofessional" for him to be harassing you about it while at work. Then, and this is pivotal, call him a racist loudly when a lot of people are around so that everyone in the office can hear you. It works every time. He'll learn.

dude this part "Then, and this is pivotal, call him a racist loudly when a lot of people are around so that everyone in the office can hear you. It works every time. He'll learn.[/QUOTE]"

made me crack up laughing becuase I know exactly what you mean. Whenever someone wants to end an argument this is usually what happens ( at least in a political argument anyway). Although I would disagree with this form of action simply because I wouldn't want it done to me. Normally it is left wing progressives who like to throw this word around liberally.

Only thing for me is, it is very hard for me to make fun of people and put them down at work because it is just a different environment altogether. If it was out in public and he said these things it would be a totally different story. Also the guys who say these things call themselves assholes and know that is how they are. They try to crush and make fun of anyone that is not part of their social circle.

Usually these are the guys who i teach a lesson, unfortunately that can't happen at work haha.

Honestly I think the fact that I'm African-American (dark-skinned) changes how people respond to hearing I do BJJ. Usually its just kind of a ," Oh wow, really?" response. The only people who do the whole ," Oh so you think you can beat me up." routine are the older tough folks such as bikers, fathers, ect.Oh and of course all my boxing coaches and teammates speak negatively on it. Anytime someone around my age wants to challenge me its more of that ," I know your going to fuck me up , I just want to see how." Anyway I really try hard to hide the fact I do BJJ. I feel it kind of changes peoples perception of me when I'm around; I go from the big black guy to the big black guy who enjoys fighting.

hahaha this is funny dude and I am so glad that you see it. I also notice it here at work. That is unfortunate for you and most african americans because I would say a good percent of the white population in the US have what they term "white guilt" and will treat you differently (instead of like everyone else and treated with respect). Don't get me wrong in my comments here. Basically it boils down to this and I think you hinted at it in your first sentence "a lot of white people would never make fun of you or what you do because you are black for two reasons (all my opinion and observations in life) 1) for fear of being called a racist (if they make fun of you other whites will automatically think they don't like black people and are racist, which is the worst thing you can call a white person) 2) some form of white guilt for slavery in the past.

These two thoughts permeate most white peoples actions towards african americans and to a lesser extent hispanics etc. Sorry don't want this thread to deviate toward race just wanted to respond directly to you to let you know I believe I understand what you are saying/hinting at.

Is it just me or does it seem like there's a lot of inferiority complexes on this thread? My BJJ teacher is very humble, that's how I would like to be if I were ever near his level.

I think it's important to treat BJJ as a sport, and not as a way of learning to kick someone's ass or treating your abilities as some power that you hold over others.

What this guy said.

What this guy said.

Honestly man I do not go around trying to "promote my abilities" and threaten people etc. Don't know where that guy came up with that from this thread, maybe he was referring to some of the other posts.

Honestly man I do not go around trying to "promote my abilities" and threaten people etc. Don't know where that guy came up with that from this thread, maybe he was referring to some of the other posts.

I don't believe he was referring to you.

I'm in my second year of college and this is usually how it goes...

Me: Yeah man I'm going to jiu jitsu tonight.
Random person: Oh is that like wrestling or something?
Me: Sort of, but it's got submissions like chokes and armlocks etc...
Random person: OOOHHH!...You do UFC!
Me: ehh...not really.
Random person: Yeah..UFC is tight!

From then on, everytime I walk into a room after that..."oh watch out ya'll, he does UFC!"...I try to explain it the best I can but everytime it ends with some guys misinterpreting it, talking me up to sound BA, and then followed by some random buff jock who knows two submissions challenging me to "wrestle".
I always LOL when people refer to UFC as the "art."

Back