Society's view of BJJ

I visited a sports medic after a knee surgery I had last month and when I said that I train BJJ he replied "So you are fighting in a cage"?

I said no and asked him why he thinks like that. The doc said that he read something about the upcoming "Cage fighting" event in Germany and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu was mentioned in the article...

Damn...

I work in IT, right now for a hardware/software company in a specific type of market...plenty of people in my office know what BJJ is and don't think anything bad about it (that they openly say) - 4 guys in my group do or have done martial arts in the past so it's a non issue.

The place I'm interviewing at...not so much....and it's in the stock-ish type industry.

I don't really care, what I do with my time is that.

I don't drink, smoke, or cheat on my wife - and that seems to be 'all the rage' these days.

I get the usual "karate kid" "mr miyagi" shit. Everyone has some kind of joke based off seeing some B grade western martial arts flick (Which are awesome btw).

I stopped bothering trying to explain what it is. They can mock me and BJJ all they like, I train for me, not for my work colleagues.

It's still frustrating but you get over it.

Most of my friends and people around me know what bjj is and ask me how my training is going all the time. The people who dont are easy to deal with. I just ask them if theyve ever watched the UFC before and then explain to him what BJJ is. Theyve usually watched a UFC event before and as soon as I give them an idea what BJJ is they understand and are usually interested. If theyve never watched MMA before its hard trying to explain what BJJ is so i usually dont really try and just compare it to wrestling and leave it at that

Ok, this is just simple interpersonal relations and it goes back to middle school. When someone insults you or something you care about, and you show your discontent and get grouchy, you're only inviting more ridicule. I actually have a lot of friends back in the States that call it "man wrestling" because they want to bust my balls about it. I just call it man wrestling as well and laugh WITH them. If you don't take yourself so seriously, it won't be such a sticking point.

When people call it barbaric (or infer that), I often point out that "you know it's funny, because I had that impression when I first started, when I was simply in it as a learning experience. Turns out most of my classmates have a higher level of education than people I know from country clubs, gym, etc." Then I'll explain how so many of the guys I know from BJJ are PhDs, Attorneys, NASA employees, medical doctors, MBAs, etc. In addition, I will make comments that close the gap. For example, I would say "it's actually quite similar to golf in that it's a thinking man's game, similar to chess but with leverage as the foundation. You will see students defeated by people 50-80 lbs. lighter because the superior BJJ player is better with technique or a quicker thinker. It's much easier to understand if you observe it in person. You should come see it"

Personally, though, I have to admit that I am hesitant to mention BJJ at work unless pressed, b/c I'm an attorney and the stigma, regardless of justification, remains. It is, ultimately, combat and people will see it as such because people are mindless dullards who are intimidated by it and often denigrate it because calling it "barbaric" is a good way for them to deflect their insecurity and/or lack of understanding via acting as if they're "above it" themselves.

As far as the herpes comment, you should just tune out immediately and just hand the guy a cat toy so he can amuse himself.

Right, I got that. If you just joke along with them and show that it doesn't bother you then most of the time they will stop because they realize it is not getting to you. The problem I have is that RESPECT is my #1 view point and even though I don't like certain things a lot of people do I still respect them and do not make fun of what they do etc. I have a problem with them not respecting my choice of extracurricular activity.

In other words it is an insult to my character.

I love joking around and having fun etc but it is a different kind of joking around when you know your friends are just busting your balls, but when you don't consider these people your friends then how can you accept their "jokes about BJJ etc" as just "busting your balls." Because really it is not, just like the guy told me one day, "his jokes always are half true at least in his case"

The old adage "most jokes have some modicum of truth to them" applies here.

i just tell people i do BJJ
and then i say i roll around on the floor with other men in pyjamas lol
and just laugh

and explain to them what it is
people usually just put all the homo jokes on it etc
i just laugh and think to my self Ive got a sub that could fix that arm for ya

I saw something Aaron Fields, SAMBO, judo and jujutsu coach, wrote that I liked, "Most sports chase balls, ours requires them.".

i just tell people i do BJJ
and then i say i roll around on the floor with other men in pyjamas lol
and just laugh

This, every time

OP, Dont take yourself so seriously as to let whiney little bitches annoy you. If you do then you are effectively lowering yourself to their level.

I don't really try and go into detail about anything. I usually tell people that I grapple to stop them comparing MMA to karate or whatever.

play the super nice role.... tell him something like, 'you know man, it would mean a lot to me for you to come by one night just to check it out and see why I enjoy it so much.'

If he takes the bait, heel hook the shit out of him :)

I just say tell them that it's like wrestling or sometimes I'll say "you know when you're watching UFC and they go to the ground and start hugging each other, that's what I do"

wait a minute. all you guys are actually embarassed / insecure about bjj????

wtf seriously. a lot of my mates are just sick of hearing me go on about it.

as for the snobs. the best way to checkmate a snob is to out-snob him.

something along the lines of 'oh... you mean if you were attacked you wouldnt even be able to defend yourself?? lol sorry i thought you were more of a man.'

then just go on about people that cant fulfil basic requirements of being a man.

the only problem is that people like that will then resent you because you crushed their ego hard.

talk about 'i didnt know you were scared of chavs' and when they say 'im not' say but if a chav tried to rob you, youd shit yourself lol.

i try to explain to laymen. they end up thinking its karate-wrestling.

fail.

The handful of posts saying that there is no class/money issue at hand are mostly correct. Personally, I love training, I wrestled in high school, and I worked in financial consulting (derivatives for fortune 500 manufacturers) and am currently finishing my PhD in Finance.

That said, white collar professions are filled with fat, out-of-shape, obnoxious morons. Now that they have made a moderate amount of money, they feel the need to bring other people down to slightly improve their own horrible self-esteem.

The opposite type exists too: White collar professions are also filled with down to earth, cool people who are easy to talk to and relate to. Just like every other profession. A lot of blue collar jobs have his dynamic, too. I worked in a factory to put myself through undergrad and I dealt with cool people and assholes alike. People are people.

You probably see less white collar people at the types of gyms we go to because they are killing themselves in the airport 24/7. I know. I've been there.

The handful of posts saying that there is no class/money issue at hand are mostly correct. Personally, I love training, I wrestled in high school, and I worked in financial consulting (derivatives for fortune 500 manufacturers) and am currently finishing my PhD in Finance.

That said, white collar professions are filled with fat, out-of-shape, obnoxious morons. Now that they have made a moderate amount of money, they feel the need to bring other people down to slightly improve their own horrible self-esteem.

The opposite type exists too: White collar professions are also filled with down to earth, cool people who are easy to talk to and relate to. Just like every other profession. A lot of blue collar jobs have his dynamic, too. I worked in a factory to put myself through undergrad and I dealt with cool people and assholes alike. People are people.

You probably see less white collar people at the types of gyms we go to because they are killing themselves in the airport 24/7. I know. I've been there.

Well said.

I agree Shooter, I was simply trying to point out what has happened in my current position. I thought this would be a good topic that everyone in the BJJ community could relate to. Obviously in any job etc there are assholes and cool people but SOME jobs you encounter way more assholes than non-assholes. Kinda like every country has their share of hot women BUT it is my belief that Brasil/Lebanon have a disproportionately high amount of HOT women. Just saying!

All of these guys I am talking about are my age mid 20's.

I agree Shooter, I was simply trying to point out what has happened in my current position. I thought this would be a good topic that everyone in the BJJ community could relate to. Obviously in any job etc there are assholes and cool people but SOME jobs you encounter way more assholes than non-assholes. Kinda like every country has their share of hot women BUT it is my belief that Brasil/Lebanon have a disproportionately high amount of HOT women. Just saying!

All of these guys I am talking about are my age mid 20's.

Not in the north east... shudder....

I SEE YOU SHOOTER.....!

[YT]uRfeK7jtvq0[/YT]

It's just you.

1.) You should NOT treat BJJ as a sport, it is self-defense. Treating it as a sport is exactly what the Gracies wanted to avoid. You don't see Rickson and Daniel doing the booty-scoot.

2.) This thread has a lot of bromance going on, because this is a reoccuring scenario(in one form or another) for almost everybody who participates. We don't have a lot of people on the outside who know and understand this particular bit of our lives. Lots of guys came in here, read the OP, and said "Yeah, I've been there". We're sharing our experiences, giving advise, and cracking a joke or two. No complexes here except for the ones coming in acting like they are better then us(point that finger in the mirror buddy). Loosen up that coal in your ass and go put it in a ring for your girl. Chill out for a while, come back, and share a story. Good day!

Dude just stfu please.

Back