Social Security program's costs to exceed its income in 2020, trust fund will be depleated by 2035

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
Social Security Costs to Exceed Income in 2020
By Kate Davidson | April 22, 2019

WASHINGTON—The Social Security program’s costs will exceed its income in 2020 for the first time since 1982—two years later than officials projected last year—forcing the program to dip into its nearly $3 trillion trust fund to cover benefits.

But by 2035, those reserves will be depleted and Social Security will no longer be able to pay its full scheduled benefits, according to the latest annual report by the trustees of Social Security and Medicare released Monday.

“Both Social Security and Medicare face long-term financing shortfalls under currently scheduled benefits and financing,” the trustees wrote, urging lawmakers to take action sooner rather than later to give policy makers enough time to phase in changes and shore up the programs.

Social Security consists of two programs, one for retirees and one for people who claim disability benefits. Taken separately, the retirement program will be able to pay full benefits on a timely basis until 2034, unchanged from last year’s report.

The disability fund is now expected to run out in 2052, 20 years later than projected in last year’s report, due to a continued decline in new disabled-worker applications and lower-than-expected disability incidence rates, the trustees wrote.

The report also said Medicare’s hospital insurance fund would be depleted in 2026, unchanged from last year’s report, as lower payroll taxes and reduced income from the taxation of Social Security benefits weighed on the trust fund’s income. The trust fund’s costs, meanwhile, are expected to be slightly higher than last year due to higher spending and higher projected provider payment updates.

The costs of both programs are projected to rise substantially as a share of the economy over the next 16 years, as a wave of retiring baby boomers boosts the number of beneficiaries, and lower birthrates over the past few decades weigh on employment growth and economic output.

As a share of gross domestic product, Social Security’s annual cost is expected to increase from 4.9% in 2019 to about 5.9% by 2039, while Medicare costs are projected to rise from 3.7% of GDP to 5.7% by 2035.

In 2019, the combined cost of the Social Security and Medicare programs are estimated to equal 8.7% of GDP, before rising to 11.6% by 2035. Most of the increase is attributable to Medicare, the trustees wrote. While annual Medicare costs are currently about 76% of the cost of Social Security, the program is expected to become more expensive by 2040, even as health care costs have fallen over the past decade.

“Notwithstanding the assumption of a substantial slowdown of per capita health expenditure growth, the projections indicate that Medicare still faces a substantial financial shortfall that will need to be addressed with further legislation,” the trustees said.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/social...jTvyfKFbLAKVIq24g1wSrmVcNoppRLtOpYIIcRdYL1DJ4

One of the reasons for this problem is people in the west believed that nonsense about a coming "overpopulation crisis" when in fact we have an incoming under population crisis.

If you decided not to have children because you believe the world is overpopulated, you're part of the problem.

Key takeaway: unlike the rest of government SS currently is in surplus.

Isnt this what the trust fund exists for ?

Sorry Assholes... I guess you'll have to keep working until 75+ to collect Social Security.

Yay... Doesn't the fucking Government do a great job of managing these programs? I can't wait for the Feds to fuck up the eventual Government run Health Insurance all these genius Millennials want so much.

With more people working, unemployment is at record lows, more people are now paying into SS. Wages are slowly rising. That helps SS also since most money for SS comes from payrolls.

I'm hoping that if this trend of a healthy growing economy causing more people to work and wages going up, Social Securities situation will improve.

Here is another take on the Trusties report ~

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nancya...social-security-trustees-report/#709beb626e73

excerpt:

The Social Security Board of Trustees has just released its annual report to Congress. If past reporting is an accurate guide, it will be misreported.

Thanks to decades of a billionaire-funded campaign to undermine confidence in Social Security, the Trustees Report will likely be greeted with cries that Social Security is going broke. The truth is that Social Security is in strong financial shape.

The just-released Trustees Report shows that Social Security has an accumulated surplus of roughly $2.9 trillion. It further shows that at the end of the century, it will cost just 6.07% of GDP. That is considerably lower, as a percentage of GDP, than what is spent today by Germany, Austria, France and most other industrialized countries on their retirement, survivors and disability programs.

Unsurprisingly because Social Security’s income and outgo are projected out so far – three quarters of a century – the Report projects a modest shortfall. (This is a much longer valuation period than private pensions use and even than most other countries use for their Social Security programs.)

According to the new report, Social Security is 100% funded for the next sixteen years, 93% funded for the next 25 years, 87% funded over the next 50 years and 84% funded for the next three-quarters of a century. There is no question that Congress can raise enough revenue to eliminate the projected shortfall...."

Kinda scary... start saving your pennies people

Who cares? Goverment is giving me everything for free on the taxpayers dime anyway. I'm retiring as soon as a universal income, free health care president gets in there. Thought I'd have to wait until I was in my 60s.

If you decided not to have children because you believe the world is overpopulated, you're part of the problem.

People decided not to have kids because they are a fucking chore.

The whole "we dont want to overpopulate the world" is just what people say instead of "I dont want to waste my prime raising kids"

With more people working, unemployment is at record lows, more people are now paying into SS. Wages are slowly rising. That helps SS also since most money for SS comes from payrolls.

I'm hoping that if this trend of a healthy growing economy causing more people to work and wages going up, Social Securities situation will improve.

Here is another take on the Trusties report ~

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nancya...social-security-trustees-report/#709beb626e73

excerpt:

The Social Security Board of Trustees has just released its annual report to Congress. If past reporting is an accurate guide, it will be misreported.

Thanks to decades of a billionaire-funded campaign to undermine confidence in Social Security, the Trustees Report will likely be greeted with cries that Social Security is going broke. The truth is that Social Security is in strong financial shape.

The just-released Trustees Report shows that Social Security has an accumulated surplus of roughly $2.9 trillion. It further shows that at the end of the century, it will cost just 6.07% of GDP. That is considerably lower, as a percentage of GDP, than what is spent today by Germany, Austria, France and most other industrialized countries on their retirement, survivors and disability programs.

Unsurprisingly because Social Security’s income and outgo are projected out so far – three quarters of a century – the Report projects a modest shortfall. (This is a much longer valuation period than private pensions use and even than most other countries use for their Social Security programs.)

According to the new report, Social Security is 100% funded for the next sixteen years, 93% funded for the next 25 years, 87% funded over the next 50 years and 84% funded for the next three-quarters of a century. There is no question that Congress can raise enough revenue to eliminate the projected shortfall...."

The SS tax is capped at around $120k-$130k a year.

Removing the cap on income above that would help funding

Back