Social Project Donation Round 2

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Kenny from MD, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Kenny from MD

Kenny from MD Less angry than before.

As many of you may remember, some time ago I began working on a project collecting used training equipment for a social project in Santos, Brazil that gave the opportunity for underprivileged youth to train and focus on Jiu Jitsu in order to introduce a positive element and structure into their lives. Many of these children face extreme poverty.

Now it is time for round two. During my most recent trip to Brazil I spent a fair amount of time in the Cantagalo favela, as well as the Pavao Pavaozinho favela and was introduced to the rich community of each., These places are responsible for producing such Jiu Jitsu legends and stand outs as Fernando Augusto TERERE, Jackson Souza and Alan Finfou Nasciemento. The team that I train with in Brazil, Checkmat, is responsible for an INCREDIBLE social project program, providing Jiu Jitsu and Jiu Jitsu instruction for the underprivileged that makes a tremendous difference in the lives of young ones. On top of that, they are developing incredible talent that is sure to make waves in the Jiu Jitsu world if only they had more opportunity. Words cannot express what a life or death difference this programs make, in terms of giving children a positive outlet, building them a future and most importantly, keeping them off the streets and away from the drug trade and other violent crimes.

Given the amount of support Checkmat has given me as a teammate in Brazil, especially Mestre Ricardo Vieira, I feel a strong obligation to give back in some way and use some of the advantages I have been afforded in life to give back to the people and sport that have benefited my life so greatly.

For the next short while, I will be collecting LIGHTLY USED Jiu Jitsu and No Gi equipment. Please consider donating anything that may have fallen out of favor, you've outgrown (or shrank out of) or no longer have a use for. Anything is appreciated and I can assure you personally will go to great use and be appreciated more than you know. I am happy to receive shipments at my home to compile donations, or accept donations at any tournament I attend (which are many, including IBJJF, US Grappling (where I often referee), etc. I realize coming out of pocket to make a donation ay be daunting to some, but please consider, the ten dollars it may cost you to mail a gi could potentially turn a lookout or a hustler into a martial artist

Shipping to Brazil is very expensive. Last time it costs me approximately $500 which fortunately I was able to mostly raise by designing and printing a t-shirt with the proceeds almost covering the shipping and handling (a sincere thank you to everyone from the board who stood behind the project and ordered a t shirt from me). The rest I came out of pocket to cover. I am not sure where I will come up with the money this time, but I will keep you posted as this project progresses and I come up with some ideas. Thank you for your consideration and help.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  2. Kenny from MD

3. Hywel Teague

Hywel Teague Orange Belt

Kenny please send me a message on FB (personal page or BJJ Hacks) when you get 2 mins thanks

4. the heed

the heed Look at the size of that boy's heed.

Hey dude, where can I donate?

5. josh from md

josh from md Orange Belt

I have some gis that are too big for me. Shoot me a text and I'll get them to you. I may have an A2 as well.

6. Kenny from MD

Will do. I just got to Boston for the IBJJF tournament and in on my phone so it may take me a day or two to get in touch

7. Kenny from MD

You can send anything to me directly
    Kenny Da Gawd
    6603 97th Ave
    Seabrook MD 20706

8. the heed

you take paypal?

9. Kenny from MD

I'll set one up when it's time to start raising money, thanks. I just don't want to give my personal one because things will inevitably get mixed up

10. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

If I have anything to send, I definitely will. I'll check when I get home. I saw mention of PayPal but couldn't follow in the original post. Are money donations helpful, or just lightly used gear?

11. Kenny from MD

Everything helps. I need to raise gear to send, money to ship it and money to help it clear customs

12. GordoBarraBJJ

GordoBarraBJJ Yellow Card Yellow Card

I think I have a gi that is too small on me. What is considered "gently used"?

13. Kenny from MD

Still usable for training basically. I've had a few gis donated that were too torn up to do anything with, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Thanks to a forthcoming sizable donation, I am going to be able to make this drive bigger than expected. I have a lot of promises from people of both gis and money coming in, so I am really excited. We're going to get all of Cantagalo in kimonos, and get ALL these kids off the streets and on the mats.

14. the heed

hit up the forum about this when you are going to take donation. I will make a contribution. You are doing some awesome work.

15. Kenny from MD

CASH DONATIONS:
    For those of you that have come forward to ask about donating money straight up to the cause, you can send the payment as friends/family (so Paypal doesn't take 3% off the top) to [email protected]. Please, just for the sake of organization, include a note that it is a donation for the social project if that option is available. As I see how much comes in, and how much more I need to raise I will have more information about whether I will be printing shirts again and doing additional fundraising.

WHAT THE MONEY RAISED WILL BE USED FOR:
    First and foremost, this money will be used to ship all the kimonos to Brazil, which is extremely expensive. Last time, it was between 80-100 dollars per mid sized box, of which I expect to have many. I hope to MORE THAN ENOUGH money than the shipping costs, because unfortunately, Brazil charges a fee in order to clear customs and accept the packages (which will be done by my trustworthy and honorable contacts in Brazil). Hopefully this fee can be reduced because it is a donation, but there will still be an additional cost to the project. I considered opening a separate account for any leftover money to use when I inevitably run this project a third time, but I'm not exactly comfortable with the idea of holding onto the funds for an undetermined amount of time, and think it may be simpler to raise money for each individual run of goods. Therefore, ANY AND ALL leftover funds will be donated directly to the social project to use at their discretion. I will talk to Mestre Ricardinho Vieira about this to get a more specific idea, but based off of other social projects, I would expect this to be used for mats, tournament registration fees for students, food, etc. At Fight Zone HQ in Rio, they collect for the social project as well, and the donation consists of both food and kimonos. Regardless, it will be afforded to the betterment of the children involved in the project in some way.

TIMEFRAME:
    I am going to be collecting kimonos both in person and through mail for the month of September and hoping to send them out at the beginning of October. Any donations can be mailed to:
    Kenny Chance
    6603 97th Ave
    Seabrook, MD 20706

If there are any questions or points that need to be clarified, please do not hesitate to ask and I will answer to the best of my ability. I am not a professional organization or a philanthropist, and wish to remain as transparent as possible throughout this process incase there is any question raised as to my integrity or character. I will be more than happy to provide progress updates at any time as well.

If it is possible, I will see if the Brazilian homies can snap some pictures after the goods get sorted out as a kind-of follow up.

16. Kenny from MD

Can this get stickied for September, during the course of the donation period?

17. Kenny from MD

Gear donations are rolling in. I am getting way more kids stuff than I expected to which is sick!!

18. Kenny from MD

Been busting my ass on this, I already have boxes and boxes of stuff to donate. I've been heavy hustling and have raised $630 so far, but I want to get these kids at least $1,000 (approx $500 for shipping/customs, and $500 on top for food, mats, tournament fees, etc)!!

19. Kenny from MD

No big deal or anything, but I just broke a grand in donations OVERNIGHT from selling stuff and using the proceeds towards the project. But I want MORE to give, and I still have a month to raise it.

Everyone should check out this video, so they can see where exactly their gear and money are going. These are all my friends in the video and it gives a good look inside the conditions in Cantagalo, as well as the social project and its background, narrated by Mestre Ricardo Vieira himself.

[YT]yGmdWZ0BuvY[/YT]

20. Kenny from MD

Update: So this project is project is pretty much consuming my life and free time. I've come up with a nice little side hustle to raise funds, in addition to a handful of random donations I've received. I'm now researching how to establish a non-profit, which is extremely confusing, because I want to make this an annual thing, and legitimize it to a degree. In order to make it bigger, I have this idea to branch out to different gyms and instructors, and assist in organizing mini drives, and then making the rounds and picking up from them. We'll see what happens. Didn't think I'd be taking it this far or ever undertake a project to help other people, but here I am.

If I have done the math right, which I probably haven't, I've come up with $1,864.94, about half from donations and half from hustling. On top of that, I've collected a healthy amount of gis, with more coming in every day. And I still have an entire month of collecting and fundraising to go.

[​IMG]

I wanted to keep this a secret from most of my Brazilian homies, even ones that work at the Social Project, but one of them most have Google translated a Facebook post of mine and they've all been reposting! Damnit!!