Soccer is the best and most diverse sport

A) who cares if a sport is diverse?
B) soccer is painfully boring, not to mention damn near every match is 1-1 or 2-1
It's not boring. You find it boring. Different folks etc...

A) who cares if a sport is diverse?
B) soccer is painfully boring, not to mention damn near every match is 1-1 or 2-1
same thing with american sport. nfl i mean 6 points 3 points 2 points i mean crazy how boring it is . 2 scores and there is 14 points on board i mean

I have to say, going to a game with a decent supporter section might change your mind. Especially if you like say, Hockey. There’s overlap in the creativity etc.

Went to my first Red Bulls game against Cincinnati and it was really fun. Just seeing the passing at such a high level is pleasing to the eyes. When guys arc the ball horizontally across the field to a teammate who brings it down and controls it, that shit is slick.

Soccer in early 20th century(the form that the world originally fell in love with) was more exciting many more goals offense favoring formations. Since then they've adopted the Italian way of 1-0. When you bring this issue up to soccer fans they go into some snobbery about ball movement and not appreciating the "action" of 90 minutes of passing.

Seeing teams try and fail to score for long periods of time is very frustrating. You don't get points for being creative you get points for scoring goals.

same thing with american sport. nfl i mean 6 points 3 points 2 points i mean crazy how boring it is . 2 scores and there is 14 points on board i mean

I get the point inflation thing but if you made every NFL touchdown 1 point(FG .5) it doesn't change that football has a lot more scoring than soccer. A common football score would be say 4-3(28-21). 3-2(21-14) would be a defensive game. And that's really what a lot of US fans are looking for when they say soccer is too low scoring 2 or 3 goals on each side.

Right now the Broncos are getting crucified for averaging 14 points a game the second lowest in the 21st century. This would be like averaging 2 goals a game. That's historically awful. For a soccer team I imagine averaging 2 a game is quite solid.

I get the point inflation thing but if you made every NFL touchdown 1 point(FG .5) it doesn't change that football has a lot more scoring than soccer. A common football score would be say 4-3(28-21). 3-2(21-14) would be a defensive game. And that's really what a lot of US fans are looking for when they say soccer is too low scoring 2 or 3 goals on each side.

Right now the Broncos are getting crucified for averaging 14 points a game the second lowest in the 21st century. This would be like averaging 2 goals a game. That's historically awful. For a soccer team I imagine averaging 2 a game is quite solid.

And even on top how low-scoring fussball is(even relative to football/baseball), there's no high spots(outside of scoring) or segmenting of the action. It's 90 continuous minutes of players runnning up and down a field, with every 30 minutes or so someone getting close to scoring. That's it. Relatively monotonous.

At least in football you have first downs, long passes, sacks, interceptions, etc. At least in baseball you have strikeouts, base hits, great fielding plays, innings, etc.

main-qimg-402cf58af04d4226f5420855dc148c32-pjlq

The average NBA game has 221.2 points.
The average NBA broadcast lasts 144.9 minutes.
That's 1 point every 40 seconds.

The average NHL game has 6.28 goals.
The average NHL broadcast lasts 157 minutes.
That's 1 goal every 25 minutes.

The average MLB game has 2.14 HRs.
The average MLB game has 8.56 Rs.
The average MLB broadcast lasts 225.2 minutes.
That's 1 HR every 105.2 minutes.
That's 1 R every 26.3 minutes.

The average EPL game has 2.82 goals.
The average EPL broadcast lasts 116.6 minutes.
That's 1 goal every 41.3 minutes.

The average NFL game has 4.86 TDs.
The average NFL broadcast lasts 208.5 minutes.
That's 1 TD every 42.9 minutes.

Last edited:
The average EPL broadcast has more goals per minute than the average NFL broadcast has TDs per minute.

The average EPL game has 2.8 goals.
The average EPL broadcast lasts 116.6 minutes.
That's 1 goal every 41.6 minutes.

The average NFL game has 4.8 TDs.
The average NFL broadcast lasts 208.5 minutes.
That's 1 TD every 43.4 minutes.

You're accounting for the stops though. Also it's not just the goals it's back and forth competiveness. That brings up another issue parity. In soccer I've noticed a lot of the games that have a lot of scoring are mismatches. And NFL has a lot more parity than not just EPL but any American sports league, that's it's main secret to being the US's favorite sport. Teams are never more than 2 years away from being a title contender.

For all the bragging about promotion and relegation being a check on the big clubs power and the angst of the idea of a closed league, promotion and relegation just kicks the downtrodden teams further down. The idea of a power getting that treatment is more academic than anything cause the same teams always are so far ahead. And in this regard EPL is the best of the major soccer leagues there's actually a group of elite teams as opposed to 1. The other Euro soccer leagues are the least competitive leagues in the history of sports it'd be more competitive if they were rigged tbh. La Liga might as well be 2-3 clubs and that's the second most competitive one. My grandpa was Bavarian and loved Bayern but how is watching your club win like 15 of the last 17 championships interesting? 3 of the 5 major leagues have teams that equal or exceed the 60s Celtics run. 8 in a row in France, 9 in a row in Italy 15 of 17 in Germany? You don't see any structual issues there?

And yes I know they have the champions league which is exciting but super teams playing each other just papers over just how abysmally boring and unfair the actual leagues are.

I don't like watching it but in terms of athletic requirements it's probably the most well balanced.

Soccer in early 20th century(the form that the world originally fell in love with) was more exciting many more goals offense favoring formations. Since then they've adopted the Italian way of 1-0. When you bring this issue up to soccer fans they go into some snobbery about ball movement and not appreciating the "action" of 90 minutes of passing.

Seeing teams try and fail to score for long periods of time is very frustrating. You don't get points for being creative you get points for scoring goals.

The last World Cup to average more than 3 goals per game was in 1958; more than 64 years ago. That was Pele's first World Cup, and soccer has grown immensely since then.

Its a great game, simple, anyone can learn the rules easy and anyone can play it.

There are also more goals in soccer than in NFL, on average, only thing in NFL one counts goal as like 9 or something.

And even 0-0 games can be exciting, as probably NFL fans also understand there can be low scoring games that are amazing.

Flopping culture kinda ruins it for new fans outside of countries where soccer is standard and you learn to love it at a young age - we all agree flopping sucks, but it is what it is and realistically it doesnt happen that often - most contacts are pretty serious and everyone that played soccer at least semi pro can confirm this - having a guy slide in your legs while youre running full speed can be pretty painful.

Also people who say soccer is boring, and then praise NFL...

Shows how much perspective and being born into a certain sport culture matters.

Ive seen some boring ass soccer games in my lifetime, but after watching some NFL games... bruh...

And even on top how low-scoring fussball is(even relative to football/baseball), there's no high spots(outside of scoring) or segmenting of the action.

<Huh2>

Now it's transparent that you don't get the sport. There is no shame in that, it's a cultural issue. For me, for example, anything but a home run in baseball is a non-thing.

You can have low scored or even 0-0 games with an insane amount of highlight plays in soccer.

<Huh2>

Now it's transparent that you don't get the sport. There is no shame in that, it's a cultural issue. For me, for example, anything but a home run in baseball is a non-thing.

You can have low scored or even 0-0 games with an insane amount of highlight plays in soccer.

So what are the soccer equivalents to things like the following:

Base hit, double, triple
Stolen base
Double play
Highlight reel catch
Strikeout
Innings
Etc.

Its a great game, simple, anyone can learn the rules easy and anyone can play it.

There are also more goals in soccer than in NFL, on average, only thing in NFL one counts goal as like 9 or something.
Lol. Why are you just making things up.

The last World Cup to average more than 3 goals per game was in 1958; more than 64 years ago. That was Pele's first World Cup, and soccer has grown immensely since then.

Yeah and I think that sport was better. 3 goals is 2-1 or 3-0 that is not a wild shoot out that's the minimum outcome where you get both sides scoring and no penaltys.

Base hit, double, triple
Stolen base
Double play
Highlight reel catch
Strikeout
Innings
Etc.

• Hits are down heavily across the board; singles, doubles, triples.
  • SBs are down heavily.
  • DPs are down heavily.
  • POs are down heavily.
  • SOs and number of innings are some of the main criticisms of baseball.

Base hit, double, triple
Stolen base
Double play
Highlight reel catch
Strikeout
Innings
Etc.

Creative passes
Long distance passes
Solo dribbles
Shots with wild curls, slices, and knuckleballs
Tricks
Great First touch = highlight reel catch
Great Save by the goalie
Technical slide tackles
Off-the-post shots
Stoppage time

There are plenty of 'Moments' in soccer. It just seems like one of those things that if someone doesn't have much experience with it, they won't notice.

Back