SoCal Kung Fu - Sifu Cunningham or Sifu Wright?

Weissgurt

White Belt
Reaction score
I have a Kung Fu School question I need to throw out there.
I just moved to Redondo Beach and have two Kung Fu Schools near by: South Bay Kung Fu Club - Sifu Richard Cunningham - Style: Hung Ga and Wrights Kung Fu - Sifu Derrick Wright - Style: 7 Star Praying Mantis.
I cant make a fully educated decision just based on just what I see and from reading their bio's and as I cant find any comments, reviews, stories etc. about these two, I am hoping some of you will be able to share some additional insight as to what you know about these two schools and their reputations - Thanks

from dealing with kung fu guys you need to go talk to both these guys and see who has the most skill to give you and the most down to earth. Some kung fu guys have the greatest skills on earth but have alot of .....expectations about edicate.

Will definitely be visiting both schools and taking a couple intro classes to see which I like best from that standpoint. Yet I would also like to have a clear understanding where these two stand on the Kung Fu World Stage.

Will definitely be visiting both schools and taking a couple intro classes to see which I like best from that standpoint. Yet I would also like to have a clear understanding where these two stand on the Kung Fu World Stage.

They don't really rate on the world stage. Very very few of Kung Fu's Sifus do. It is also a terrible way to pick a kung-fu instructor.Unlike Boxing,MMA or MT there is not World Stage for deciding the best. Take a couple class see if you like it and be ready to take about 4 years to learn anything. Both 7 Star and Hung-Gar can be very effective under proper training. wiht improper training they both devolve in to the worst of the Flowery Hands.

After further thought. You are absolutely right. I am somewhat embarrassed by my World Stage comment. Wasn't thinking. I am going in as a Kung Fu novice and either school will no doubt be perfectly suited to teach someone like me. I think my main issue has been which Style to go with. So I was looking to see which Sifu may have a more in-depth background in their particular style. Yet I also know that the Sifu listed as the owner of a school may not always be the one instructing. So...I will take classes at both and see how they are run and who the regular instructors are...and take it from there. Thank you!

I used to train with Sifu Wright, I'm a black belt under his master (Sifu John Cheng) I can tell you that Sifu Wright is Legit, and 7*Mantis is Legit if you train in it diligently. Msg me if you have any q's.

I have a Kung Fu School question I need to throw out there.
I just moved to Redondo Beach and have two Kung Fu Schools near by: South Bay Kung Fu Club - Sifu Richard Cunningham - Style: Hung Ga and Wrights Kung Fu - Sifu Derrick Wright - Style: 7 Star Praying Mantis.
I cant make a fully educated decision just based on just what I see and from reading their bio's and as I cant find any comments, reviews, stories etc. about these two, I am hoping some of you will be able to share some additional insight as to what you know about these two schools and their reputations - Thanks

Not sure about the Kung Fu styles/schools you listed. But from what I've seen of Kung Fu San Soo online/youtube. It looks pretty effective. Find out if theres a school in your area. Good luck.

Back