So you're hooked?

LCDforMe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So how many people have you got hooked on grappling? As of now, I have only got a few people into BJJ. My father who watched UFCs with me is now begining to seriously think about training BJJ with me. A good friend of mine who I used to always just kinda mess around and wrestle with suddenly realized I was dominating him and wanted to learn how I was doing.

So who here has got other people into their art form?

I got this hot co-worker to want to learn BJJ from me. I have a girlfriend though :(

Hmm.. me and my friend sort of got each other hooked from admiring MMA. From grappling mates, showing moves etc we have got around five people who show a true interest but aren't likely to join, however one or two have said they wish they could do thats stuff.

I teach my GF some stuff just for simple self defense cause shes small..my buddies love watching MMA but are too lazy to actually come to the Gym with me!

I have got one friend that started out the same time as me, but unfortunately he injured his ankle early on, and has re-injured it atleast one time so he won't be back for some time.

I tried to get one buddy to start when I did but it didn't work. The idea was that we would learn together and always be around the same skill level. (We're about the same build.) However, he didn't join and would probably be behind me for a long time if he started today.

To answer the question: zero

I got a few friends of mine to join me in BJJ. One started training more than I do and now he can beat me easily.

I have been teaching my girlfriend grappling and finally convinced her to do the ju jitsu program at the dojo i go to, other than that none of my friends want to learn it.

Oh yeah, my gf knows how to break my guard very easily, for some reason her elbows are incredibly sharp and she hits my pressure points under my knees every single time, yikes it hurts just thinking about it, lol.

A friend of mine heard me rant on about it for a while, so he finally tried it out. He's still taking the classes.

I've got some Taekwondo comrades who I've been pressuring to try out some BJJ, because I went and taught a little bit of basic BJJ at the Taekwondo school, and the students were impressed, to say the least. But as of right now, they haven't come, but if they do, I'll be sure to make a thread about it haha.

DJGMuayThai said:
I teach my GF some stuff just for simple self defense cause shes small..my buddies love watching MMA but are too lazy to actually come to the Gym with me!

Im in the same boat. Until one of my friends started wrestling with me in his front yard, He's out muscled me and my girlfriend was like your getting your butt kicked, cause I was on the ground. Until I triangled choked him, Then my GF was like wow, and my buddy now trains at my school.

alot of people... I guess cause when I talk about BJJ, I discuss "flow with the go".. How you move like water, never against the current, but with it all the time.. I also explain how important technique is, how important details are and patience... I also explain how bjj is not brute sport, but it is "arte suave" gentle art.. BJJ is the most beautiful art on Earth, and it is the only art that constantly evolves to suit every players size, shape and strength... its the perfect way of self expression.. at the same time, your body turns into a sculpture... I remember one day my Ex-gf was lookin at my stomach, and was like howd you get those?? She asked why I move so smoothly, yet my body was so stiff... I simply said BJJ...

None - no one else sees any real attraction to it.

None.

My friend got me into it. I don't tell anyone about it because I like the fact that I can defend myself easily yet no one knows that I can.

Chopperj. I had a similar experience like yours. I was wrestling around with my brother and my friends were laughing because I was on my back and they thought that he was kicking my ass. I could have triangle choked him at any moment but I decided to be fancy and swept him so I was in mount then without even stopping just moved from the sweep into an armbar. They all thought it was pretty cool.

only my little brother. i try and try and try but nobody around me gives a damn about martial arts. people suck

Unfortunately nobody else than me sees the joy in training judo around my friends. Either its boring or some gay atmosphere to it or scared to get seriously hurt or just scared. Of course none of this is true, atleast doesnt have to be. Grappling for me is exercise and atleast my wife wants me to continue train so she can be left alone from getting throwed/joint locked. She doesnt mind getting pinned or mounted though from time to time :D neither do l hehe.

Back