So you have an arm-wrap/overhook on your opponent ...

Noskill

Created Monkey
Reaction score
In closed guard.

What do you do? What are your go-tos?

With description please.

In closed guard.

What do you do? What are your go-tos?

With description please.
If you have the overhook with opposite lapel grip, your first move should be to threaten the choke. You can get the triangle and omoplata pretty easy from this position. You can also get a kind of reverse armbar, but I haven't had much success with it.

If you have the overhook with opposite lapel grip, your first move should be to threaten the choke. You can get the triangle and omoplata pretty easy from this position. You can also get a kind of reverse armbar, but I haven't had much success with it.

I like to use the cross choke / triangle / omo combination in Gi, but I had never really done anything but omo platas from the overhook in No-Gi before tonight.

I had a tight overhook with my right arm and hipped out onto my left hip. My opponent straightened his arm to try to pull it out, so I trapped his shoulder with my right knee, gable gripped my hands, and pulled in with my right elbow to secure an armbar with my elbow being the fulcrum.

Afterwards, I showed him how to turn his forearm out to pull his arm out easier and to prevent the armbar. Against someone who knows the right way to escape an overhook, I don't think I would have been able to get it, but it was fun to try something different and have it work.

I like to hold the oppisite side lapel and go for chokes and switch my hip for arm bar triangle or omaplata .
or if ive got my left arm as the over hook bring your right hand to your left side and place on there shoulder. then bring that same elbow under his chin and push up.
as your doing this get hooking guard and lift and sweep to the left works well for me

Worked this grip last night. The first option was Hiza gatame, although we kept the overhook and collar grip, unlike the pic.

Hiza-Gatame.JPG

If that doesn't work, take you opposite hand and grab his near side collar and drive your fist into his neck while pulling on the collar for a choke.

The final option was to shift your hips back through to the other side and collar choke.

Also, if the guy tries to roll his arm over to escape the hiza, you can transistion to an omaplata pretty easy.

I love this position. We actually worked on it for a while at our gym. There is so many options as far as where you want to go once you secure a good overhook and grabbing the opposite lapel. I also use this position standing to setup uchi-mata etc.

elevator sweep (no gi)

I feel like a complete dummy now.

I love elevator sweeps and I love using an over-hook in guard, but I have never thought about putting the two together. :redface:

Switch to a lazy london or Shawn William's guard because your opponent will immediately rip his sweaty arm out of there!

.....if you're doing no gi.

Worked this grip last night. The first option was Hiza gatame, although we kept the overhook and collar grip, unlike the pic.

Hiza-Gatame.JPG

If that doesn't work, take you opposite hand and grab his near side collar and drive your fist into his neck while pulling on the collar for a choke.

The final option was to shift your hips back through to the other side and collar choke.

Also, if the guy tries to roll his arm over to escape the hiza, you can transistion to an omaplata pretty easy.

From Aesopian's blog, it covers this positioning pretty well (in video too!), tho it's from butterfly guard. But same concept.
Butterfly Guard with Overhook Submissions Archive Aesopian

arm attacks on the overhooked arm w/ space created from a shrimp out then immediatly back in, triangle, kick the legs out work for a sweep on the overhooked side..

I love this postition, as usual when I train it is with guys who have 20-50 lbs on me, I have a hard time finishing anything other than the gi chokes or sweeps no gi, Everything else they can usually just muscle out of.

It really sucks going against much bigger guys who are just as skilled as you are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back