Movies So, Wing Chun is the best Kung Fu?

The TLDR version is basically:

- rich daddy's boy who never had to work in his life. Kept moving to avoid having to fight in the war.

- he was a bully in school. One of his classmates told their neightbor about Ip Man so that guy challenged Ip Man to spar n beat him within moments. That man was Leung Bik who was Ip Man's masters student back in the day n ended up teaching him himself.

- He was cheating on his wife n basically left her when she had cancer and had 2 illegitimate kids with mistress

- Apparently he barely taught n had his elder students setup the Wing Chun association you see in the movies to extort more money to fund his opium addiction
never heard that but I really don't know much about him. Being a Bruce disciple, of course I know a little about him. I did read in one of the books that Yip had killed a man and also that Bruce respected him which carries some weight. Doug Palmer, an early student of Bruce's saw the two do chi sao and said they looked evenly matched but he didn't know if Bruce was holding back or not. Apparently, there was some friction between he and Bruce because word got back that Bruce was teaching gwei lo's but I don't know how serious that was, there are pictures of the two men together in the mid to late sixties I think. As it was, Bruce didn't attend Yip's funeral and some have said that it was because of some bad blood.

As far as him barely teaching his students, i've been around a lot of different places and for whatever reason, that's hardly uncommon. It's usually the underlings who do most of the hands on training, never made sense because most of the time, they weren't experienced enough really. I just figure it's laziness, but i've seen it from boxing all the way too mma schools. never could understand the logic of that kind of thing and it always seemed that the die hard students just did as they were told.

Can Ip Man beat Pai Mei? Fuuuuuuck no. Pai Mei practiced Eagle Claw Kung Fu.

That´s nothing compared to Gopher-chucks
rSSbvdJ.gif

200w.gif

Or Cow-fu

AgitatedTheseDouglasfirbarkbeetle-size_restricted.gif

3Rd wing Chun is corrupted with mcdojo bs
4th it's a movie Holmes
My title is not the best. My real question is about Wing Chun's popularity and/or esteem.

Your #4 is pertinent to that in that a movie franchise was created about one of it's most famous practitioners. Are Ip Man and Bruce Lee more iconic than other Kung Fu stylists? I don't watch a lot of martial arts movies; do other styles gets played up too?

#3 suggests to me that it is even more popular than I realized. Yeah, not necessarily the best; but I was really interested in popularity.

I assume the most popular Chinese martial art is Tai Chi. It's not usually thought of as a martial art anymore. But I remember as an adolescent reading Black Belt Magazine that it was presented as a regular martial arts style.

The TLDR version is basically:

- rich daddy's boy who never had to work in his life. Kept moving to avoid having to fight in the war.

- he was a bully in school. One of his classmates told their neightbor about Ip Man so that guy challenged Ip Man to spar n beat him within moments. That man was Leung Bik who was Ip Man's masters student back in the day n ended up teaching him himself.

- He was cheating on his wife n basically left her when she had cancer and had 2 illegitimate kids with mistress

- Apparently he barely taught n had his elder students setup the Wing Chun association you see in the movies to extort more money to fund his opium addiction

I believe this because the IP man movies are pretty damn racist towards Japanese and White folks in a over the top way and they themselves are portrayed as way too heroic. Too much propaganda which was super annoying.

In the movie, IP man is beating up multiple karate black belts meanwhile I have never ever seen a kung fu guy ever beat a karate man which is funny because I do practice some Kung Fu for physical development but their actual fighting techniques are pretty shit for most parts unless you mix boxing in it.

Overall I get pretty irritated by the movie and the last villain was an American who was extremely racist towards Chinese martial arts but somehow was a karate freak which made no sense because he was all about America being superior and yet karate is not really american. Should have made him a wrestling submission fighter or something.

I believe this because the IP man movies are pretty damn racist towards Japanese and White folks in a over the top way and they themselves are portrayed as way too heroic. Too much propaganda which was super annoying.

In the movie, IP man is beating up multiple karate black belts meanwhile I have never ever seen a kung fu guy ever beat a karate man which is funny because I do practice some Kung Fu for physical development but their actual fighting techniques are pretty shit for most parts unless you mix boxing in it.

Overall I get pretty irritated by the movie and the last villain was an American who was extremely racist towards Chinese martial arts but somehow was a karate freak which made no sense because he was all about America being superior and yet karate is not really american. Should have made him a wrestling submission fighter or something.

China movies about China man destroying competition.

No different than American Rambo taking down terrorists or cartels with a bow , John Wick taking down entire Russian Mobs with a handgun or pen , Jamaicans winning gold medals in bobsleding at the winter Olympics or a dog able to play basketball n dunk on NBA caliber opponents

Sometimes you just gotta shut the think tank off n enjoy

It would be cool if Kung Fu really was the best Martial art and people with different syles would fight.

wing chun has the problem that they give you the center because of the stance
you just have lots of targets to hit

Guy also liked smoking Opium, gambling, and couldn’t beat Cancer.

The only style of kung fu that I'd trust is whatever cung le trained.

He's the only kung fu guy I know of that actually put his skills to the test in real fights and had success

China movies about China man destroying competition.

No different than American Rambo taking down terrorists or cartels with a bow , John Wick taking down entire Russian Mobs with a handgun or pen , Jamaicans winning gold medals in bobsleding at the winter Olympics or a dog able to play basketball n dunk on NBA caliber opponents

Sometimes you just gotta shut the think tank off n enjoy

Thats correct but Rambo, John Wick were fictional characters. The original airbud was a TRUE BADASS Golden Retriever and could legit play basketball. Poor puppy passed away a year after the movie and he was almost 10 years old. Prime airbud would have been GOAT NBA legend!

Now this brings us to IP man. Had IP man been a random China man that was completely fictional, I would agree with you. I would also agree if he was badass like airbud.

But the problem is that the character was a real person who was nothing like what we saw in the movies.

Going back to Rambo, John Chapman and Jack Churchill were the real life version of rambo. Hell Jack fought Nazis using a fucking sword. In fact Mad Jack was truly badass and more over the top than rambo. He deserves a movie more than some can like IP man. Jack was a real person and if they made a movie about his life, it would come off more bullshit than a rambo movie but he was legit crazy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill

He's the only kung fu guy I know of that actually put his skills to the test in real fights and had success

Cung Le was a Taekwondo guy who used some of the old school techniques in Tang Soo Do and Hapkido. He fought in San Shou and became a champion in it but his actual techniques he employed was mostly Old school Taekwondo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cung_Le

Thats correct but Rambo, John Wick were fictional characters. The original airbud was a TRUE BADASS Golden Retriever and could legit play basketball. Poor puppy passed away a year after the movie and he was almost 10 years old. Prime airbud would have been GOAT NBA legend!

Now this brings us to IP man. Had IP man been a random China man that was completely fictional, I would agree with you. I would also agree if he was badass like airbud.

But the problem is that the character was a real person who was nothing like what we saw in the movies.

Going back to Rambo, John Chapman and Jack Churchill were the real life version of rambo. Hell Jack fought Nazis using a fucking sword. In fact Mad Jack was truly badass and more over the top than rambo. He deserves a movie more than some can like IP man. Jack was a real person and if they made a movie about his life, it would come off more bullshit than a rambo movie but he was legit crazy.

Cung Le was a Taekwondo guy who used some of the old school techniques in Tang Soo Do and Hapkido. He fought in San Shou and became a champion in it but his actual techniques he employed was mostly Old school Taekwondo.

Fair point.

Well argued.

I concede the point until I can think of an American example IRL

Ah. Well then I don't think I'd trust any kung Fu then.

I mean how good were those san shou guys if a taekwondo guy walks into your sport and dominates?

I'm watching Ip Man. [Dubbed version viewable for free in the US on Tubi.] Obviously, it is a fictionalized story, but he was a Wing Chun grandmaster in real life. Hence the story indirectly glorifies Wing Chun. Also, Ip Man was Bruce Lee's teacher. Is it basically because of the two of them that Wing Chun is held in such high regard?
Wing chun is largely shit. But every now and then you ll find a good piece of corn in the biggest pile of shit, that could theoretically be washed and eaten.

From what I understand, Sanda isn't really a Kung Fu style. It borrows some from Kung Fu but is also Boxing and Kickboxing and other things mixed in.

Whatever Carl Douglas practices. Rumor has it he's fast as lightning.

"Mad" Jack Churchill carried a Scottish Claymore and famously said that any Officer who didn't take his sword into battle was improperly dressed. Churchill used the sword during hand to hand fighting. He also led his men into battle while playing the Bagpipes.

After fighting in France, Italy and Yugoslavia, Jack was on the process of travelling to Burma to fight the Japanese when news reached him of the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Disgusted by the Japanese surrender, as it meant he wouldn't get a chance to kill any of them, he bitterly remarked,

"If it wasn't for those damn Yanks, we could have kept the War going another ten years!" :)

Most martial arts are pretty useless in how they are taught and how they are used. Wing Chun is no exception and if you've ever seen the Wing Chun fights on youtube, you'd see that it's basically two amateurs who don't know what they are doing. The techniques go our the window as soon as it starts.

I've read that Bruce's original chinese school had students who challenged muay thai fighters and most of them lost. Bruce himself apparently fought a thai during a film shoot and beat him ,but bruce wasn't really Wing Chun by that point.

Bruce saw the limitations of what he learned and modified it into an open art (early form of mma basically) that he called Jeet Kune Do.

Alot of Bruce Lees martial arts philosophies and techniques are fucken legit.

Bruce saw the limitations of what he learned and modified it into an open art (early form of mma basically) that he called Jeet Kune Do.

Alot of Bruce Lees martial arts philosophies and techniques are fucken legit.

that's right, Bruce was the real deal, any of the folks around in his time will say it when they aren't being too bigheaded.

Back