So why did JoJo cover up "out of respect" in Abu Dhabi?

Discussion in 'The Lightweights' started by Defeat Unknown, Sep 17, 2019.

1. vgff

vgff Brown Belt

when you're in another country with very different values, you're playing by their rules. unless you want to end up in prison

2. stipeszn

stipeszn Blue Belt

I definitely need to do some more research into genital mutilation I guess.

3. Askafan

Askafan Brown Belt

Calderwood chose to respect what she thought was the local culture, seems fair enough. At some of the places her party visited museums, palaces and the Grand Mosque for exampke it was probably the right move. Lots of places have minimum dress codes, I went to hear a debate at the Australian parliament once and they insisted on t-shirts, shorts and thongs.

Here's Aspen Ladd at the Grand Mosque, very fetching

4. FloydMayweatherMMA

FloydMayweatherMMA Money Belt Platinum Member

The fact you're calling marriage a contract says it all.
    Besides, you made no mention of marriage, you said "if a woman posseses my feelings, (already weird, love is something you give, not something you get) I possess some rights too".

What rights do you expect to have just because you have feelings for someone?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Mr.Maelstrom likes this.
  5. Garnet_StrongerThanYou

Garnet_StrongerThanYou Blue Belt

Respect for their culture.

Their house, their rules.

6. chuckleknuckle

chuckleknuckle Non binary - racially neutral - anarcho fascinista

If you're scared of diversity and need to surround yourself with an echo chamber that's fine by me. It'll probably make you a less rounded individual though. So good luck.

7. Booksmasher

Booksmasher Blue Belt

Any normal human being wants to be surrounded by his own kind. Blacks rather wanna be with blacks, bikers wanna be with bikers, atheists wanna be with atheists, hispanics wanna be with hispanics, leftists (like yourself) wanna be with leftists, etc.

8. chuckleknuckle

Mutilation of genitals of a child for a religious tradition ain't great though. Let's not pretend the west isn't guilty of a lot of things we accuse the middle east of.

Lemmy Caution likes this.
  9. WHITE ANDERSON

WHITE ANDERSON Black Belt

respect for her own life
    doesn't want to be on the bad end of a fatwa

WendalClark17 likes this.
  10. Wolf Of Sherdog

Wolf Of Sherdog Brown Belt Professional Fighter

The more civilized they are they wear more clothes? Lmao. Like the great afghan civilization? Bacha bazi is normal in afghanistan. There is a saying in afghanistan that women are for making children, boys are for play.

Post 2 Decision likes this.
  11. chuckleknuckle

Far from being a leftist, I nearly got thrown out of college for my 'disagreeable' essays on feminism and othering almost 20 years ago. Most people label me as an alt right fascist when they meet me but I'm okay with that.

That being said, I surround myself with people who disagree with me. It forces me out my comfort zone and forces me to learn and grow. Most people surround themselves with like minded people because it's easier to have your opinions confirmed as opposed to challenged.

12. GordoBarraBJJ

GordoBarraBJJ Steel Belt

because it is a different country with difference customs and laws and she seems like a level headed person would understand this - whether she agrees or not - and realized it is not worth pissing people off over.

When you travel to other countries you need to respect their expectations and rules.

13. stipeszn

stipeszn Blue Belt

It's not common practice in America for religious reasons though, that's only the Jewish community. Most Americans practice circumcision for the supposed health benefits

14. Booksmasher

Booksmasher Blue Belt

Hey, hold your horses. I didnt ask for your lifestory.

Thats such nonsense. Since the beginning of mankind people were in tribes and they never mixed. Birds of a feather flock together. It has nothing to do with challenging opinions. You can always go out and meet other people to debate. But I prefer to live in a like minded community and have my kids grow up there.

15. chuckleknuckle

Cool, that means your kids will grow up as closed minded as you. I grew up poor in an ethnically diverse area, now I'm well off and live in a purely white area. I know which served me best.

The historic reason groups formed was actually for security and to pass on information like what berries to eat. No need or excuse for that in 2019. People group together now because they are intellectually lazy.

16. chuckleknuckle

There are no health benefits. It's a hangover from a religious tradition.

17. Booksmasher

Booksmasher Blue Belt

It has nothing to do with close mindedness. Everybody has an ideology. I arrived at my current ideology because to me its the best of all the others I have researched and experienced. So I want my children to be raised in this ideology and learn the faults and weaknesses of other ideologies. Whats the problem with that? Whats wrong with living in a community with everybody having the same ideology?

18. Darbo

Darbo Brown Belt

I don't disagree, what I'm saying is Jojo did it off her own back, she wasn't forced to.
    The uae is backwards as fuck, you can wear beachwear but unless you're married you better not have any public displays of affection or go back to someone's hotel, I've never really seem the attraction to the place beyond it being very nice, plenty of places are very nice, they also allow you to kiss your girlfriend.
    My point was if you know the way they are then it's up to the individual how they react.
    Comparing it to papa new Guinea tribes is just silly.

19. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Purple Belt

What makes a career choice for your daughter 'better', her definition of the word could be completely different.

20. Sarge3000

Sarge3000 "Fighting is like the Stock Market"

The crazy thing is that Westerners are expected to cover up in Islamic countries.
    But when Muslim official come to Europe, they tell us to adapt.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/28/...ly-visit-nude-statues-capitoline-museums.html

Let's be honest, Islam is a conquering and dominating religion, no two way about it.
    Too bad the West is rotten by American liberalism and not standing up for itself.

This and the Imperial system make me wonder if America is sometimes backwards.