So, who the hell beats Petr Yan?

It's interesting that Sterling actually out struck Yan on both significant and total strikes
View attachment 880308

The 17 attempted take downs is something he will have to change as well as strengthening his take down defense.

He exhausted himself with the take down attempts which ultimately seemed to lead to Yan gaining the momentum in the later parts of the fight
It's not that interesting considering that Sterling was just spamming weak shots that ended up tiring him out. Yan literally won the first round with one strike because it was an actual effective strike.

He showed well-rounded skills in that Aljo fight. Impressive clinch game, effortless throws. I think Yan's weakness is passivity. He's very measured. Doesn't always lend itself to winning on points. So I look at TJ. He can wrestle, has good striking, and has the volume to win rounds in this. Even though he's older it's a good style vs Yan.

I'd say Aldo could beat him, but his cardio just isn't good enough to go 5 rounds with Yan. There's a lot of killers in the division though, so I don't think Yan is safe as champ.

Aldo already had his number for like 2 and a half rounds. So I don't think Yan is unbeatable.

A guy as good as him, but bigger than 5'7.
Considering there are guys as tall as Cormier in his division(Sandhagen, but he isn't that good/O Malley) - it's just a matter of time.

"fluke" knocking someone out.... too funny.

It happens all the time. When one fighter is heavily favored to win and loses that's pretty much the definition of a fluke win. Serra - GSP, Bisping - Rockhold , those are fluke wins

A guy as good as him, but bigger than 5'7.
Considering there are guys as tall as Cormier in his division(Sandhagen, but he isn't that good/O Malley) - it's just a matter of time.

Fon't is 5'8 with nearly a 5 inch reach advantage over Yan, and they both like to box. I really want to see that one some day.

It happens all the time. When one fighter is heavily favored to win and loses that's pretty much the definition of a fluke win. Serra - GSP, Bisping - Rockhold , those are fluke wins
Disagree

Are we still calling Bisping/Rockhold 2 a fluke? How many times does Luke need to be put down with the same left hand to make us all agree that he just has shit defense?

I like Font's chances a lot personally. Hopefully we get to see it some day

I think Petrs high guard, head movement and counters just take away Fonts jab which is by far his best tool. In past fights where his jab has been somewhat neutralized or not as much of a factor his offense just falls apart and its far easier to approach him

TJ and Cory just have far more variety and volume working for them IMO. Even Aljos striking as wacky and nontechnical as it is is more of a nuisance for Yan. Font is just TOO textbook and fundamental which I dont think is the way you wanna strike against Yan

Let's cut to the chase. I don't even wanna discuss the whole Sterling thing. He's gonna decapitate Aljo is a violent, merciless and timely manner.

That said, who the hell has anything for Petr Yan right now? And I say this as the ultimate Aldo fan. The guy is DAMN GOOD. BW is actually starting to feel a bit shallow when I think about it.

Idk homies. The man looks unfuckwithable right now..
Not Aldo.

Probably Stot from Bellator if he could take Yan down

I think Petrs high guard, head movement and counters just take away Fonts jab which is by far his best tool. In past fights where his jab has been somewhat neutralized or not as much of a factor his offense just falls apart and its far easier to approach him

TJ and Cory just have far more variety and volume working for them IMO. Even Aljos striking as wacky and nontechnical as it is is more of a nuisance for Yan. Font is just TOO textbook and fundamental which I dont think is the way you wanna strike against Yan

Yan isn't impervious to getting jabbed

Rl10xz.gif

Z80oJ2.gif

and font splits the guard really well with front kicks (we've seen this him in several fights, including hurting cody with it) and he splits it well with uppercuts, he also punches around it well with hooks. Font kicks more in general than yan dones. I think it works both ways: they're both meat and potatoes types guys, but they're both better at it than anyone else they've faced.

TJ doesn't have more volume than Font. Font averages more than TJ per minute. Sandhagen has a bit more volume than font, but Font has more power.

Yan isn't impervious to getting jabbed

Rl10xz.gif

Z80oJ2.gif

and font splits the guard really well with front up kicks (we've seen this him in several fights, including hurting cody with it) and he splits it well with uppercuts, he also punches around it well with hooks. Font kicks more in general than yan, too. I think it works both ways: they're both meat and potatoes types guys, but they're both better at it than anyone else they've faced.

TJ doesn't have more volume than Font. Font averages more than TJ per minute. Sandhagen has a bit more volume than font, but Font has more power.

I dont think Font is as good on the counter as Aldo and he cant strike nearly as well on the backfoot. Aldos leg kicks give his striking a dynamic Font doesnt really have outside the jab IMO. Hes a great combo puncher when he gets going but I think its much easier to get him out of his game. Yan has one of the best clinch games in the division too and Font isnt as good as Aldo in fighting for position inside or breaking clinches.

I dont think Font is as good on the counter as Aldo and he cant strike nearly as well on the backfoot. Aldos leg kicks give his striking a dynamic Font doesnt really have outside the jab IMO. Hes a great combo puncher when he gets going but I think its much easier to get him out of his game. Yan has one of the best clinch games in the division too and Font isnt as good as Aldo in fighting for position inside or breaking clinches.

Well, we could go back and forth all night lol. I do hope we see it sometime. I have no idea what is next for Font, though.

Back