So, who the hell beats Petr Yan?

I mean yes that's true but if we look at the matchup objectively, there really isn't a path to victory for Aljo.

Yan is the better striker.
Yan tooled Aljo in any grappling attempts Aljo made.
Aljo also gassed.

Aljo is by far the better mat grappler. There's a reason why Yan disengaged like his life depended on it anytime he took Aljo down. The one time he engaged, aljo started sweeping him immediately and then the round ended. He was also doing fine volume striking with Yan while he was fresh. If aljo comes into the fight in good shape, he can definitely outpoint or even sub Yan. That's a big IF, though, because he's coming off a major surgery.

Aljo is by far the better mat grappler. There's a reason why Yan disengaged like his life depended on it anytime he took Aljo down. The one time he engaged, aljo started sweeping him immediately and then the round ended. He was also doing fine volume striking with Yan while he was fresh. If aljo comes into the fight in good shape, he can definitely outpoint or even sub Yan. That's a big IF, though, because he's coming off a major surgery.
Seems like every night before I go to sleep I catch myself having a discussion with you about the grappling hole in someone's game lmao. Last night it was Giga and now it's Yan lol.

He is a better mat grappler but I don't think that is as advantageous for him as it needs to be to in order to win. You said it yourself, YAN TOOK ALJO DOWN lol. He wasnt just defending Aljos takedowns but he was making them look hopeless. Yan is just a really bad matchup for him and sometimes it just works that way.

Last edited:
I'm impressed but not convinced.

Will see...

Aldo gave him a pretty close fight before getting caught. With how slick Aldo's hands looked in his last fight, it's far from impossible that he gets it done. Otherwise, anyone in the top five can get it done. I'm pretty close to writing TJ off because he looked so bad against Sandhagen, but that may be an exception.

Usman! He needs to move to 170. These damn Russians always trying to avoid fighting above their weight.

Not sure but that division is stacked with a list of exciting new matchups for him to fight if he beats Sterling. Personally would love to see him fight Sandhagen—a tall, great striker. I would love to see how he would deal with that style of striking. He probably has better wrestling and can win it that way, but we all know how much he loves to strike with his opponents.

Aljo, shocks a lot of people in this fight. Looking forward to the bump of this thread.

Seems like every night before I go to sleep I catch myself having a discussion with you about the grappling hole in someone's game lmao. Last night it was Giga and now it's Yan lol.

He is a better mat grappler but I don't think that is as advantageous for him is it needs to be to in order to win. You said it yourself, YAN TOOK ALJO DOWN lol. He wasnt just defending Aljos takedowns but he was making them look hopeless. Yan is just a really bad matchup for him and sometimes it just works that way.

Why would aljo try to defend yan's takedowns when aljo wants the fight on the mat anyways?

Aljo did get him down once if i remember, if he can establish top control in the rematch, it could be a game changer. Aljo needs to be in better shape though or smarter with his energy.

I'm not saying it's likely Aljo will win, but he's got ways to win for sure.

Well, you might be counting Aljo out, but I'm not.

I do think that Font, Sandhagen, and TJ have solid chances of beating him.

Sandhagen is still improving and he's a problem for everybody now. He was beating the shit out of TJ and lost a split decision because he's just now getting world class experience. A little more polish and I think he's a awesome fight for Petr, it surprises me how many people look past him.

I think Yan will brutalize TJ. His fight IQ is too high to lose on points and he's just straight up the better fighter in my mind.

Font vs Yan is all but guaranteed to be a banger. Obviously Yan is favored but that is a quality fight.

nobody,the thing about him that scares me the most it`s his mentality which
his nickname describes best,hope to witness him against TJ i think it will be the best fight in history

Faber after eating SUPER hot pussy all night. Very situationally dependent.

Maybe Aljo can come up with something better, but for now this is my answer.

Back