1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

So, what's up with the liner in the Ringside IMF tech bag gloves?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by Mumrik, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

I recently bought a pair of Ringside IMF tech bag gloves because I've read so many positive reviews of them over the last few years. They supposedly do a good job of protecting your hands and since I have a bad knuckle on my left hand it made sense to use them if my Grant Campeon super bag gloves made me sore.

But seriously guys, what is up with this rough liner? The gloves were rather uncomfortable to put on and the liner seems to fit a bit weirdly. I wore them for five two minute rounds of Bas Ruttens boxing CD and after the first round my bad knuckle was sore (that's not normal) and around the third round the skin on the knuckles of my pinky fingers started to sting a bit.

When I took the gloves off after five rounds those knuckles were skinless. these pictures are from the day after:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

What the hell? I don't even hit with that knuckle and I only hit the bag for 10 minutes. Am I the only one who's experienced anything like this?
    I own plenty of other gloves and I've never had a glove wear the skin off my knuckles. And yes I wore wraps, but they of course don't cover the second row of knuckles.

I'm not going to pass judgment on the gloves as a whole after such a short time. Hopefully they'll break in and improve, 'cause I must say that the first impression was bad and that putting my Campeons on afterwards was like slipping into something female and welcoming.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  2. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

I have the IMF sparring and they've never cut me.

Which model is this exactly?

3. couzo

couzo Blue Belt

I have been using the IMF bag gloves for a few weeks now and never had any issues like that. Have you felt the area inside the glove for faults or something that would cause that? Maybe speak to ringside

4. dat1978

dat1978 Brown Belt

just checking but are you sure its not your form? maybe you slap your hooks a little and either don't bring your elbow up enough, or extend your arm out too much. if so, the second knuckles is where you would likely make contact. just a thought.

5. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

The IMF Tech bag gloves:

[​IMG]

I have the IMF Tech S.E. sparring gloves too and neither padding nor liner feels anything like this.

I'll be looking more thoroughly into it as soon as the skin is healed.

As I mentioned, I don't hit with that knuckle at all. If I do get sloppy and slap my hooks I still generally don't hit the second knuckle of the pinky. Also, there'd be very little of that nonsense in ten minutes of bag work :)

Hours upon hours on the heavy bag with other gloves (primarily the Grant Campeons) and I've never had any discomfort there at all.

6. I've only used the training gloves and they are great.
    Any one here have the BAG GLOVES ?

7. CrossFacerX

CrossFacerX White Belt

I have the IMF tech limited edition red ones and the IMF bag gloves and the liner feels so nice i have no idea how it did that... the liner on my red ones is loose tho from day one and feels like it will come out soon :(. I do lots of jiu jitsu tho so maybe my fingers skin is tougher from gi gripping and whatnot?

*EDIT* would u say grant champeon bag gloves have better foam/protection then these mumrik?

8. ECS123

ECS123 Purple Belt

Personally, I think the clue here is the fact that you said, when you put them on the gloves were uncomfortable, and the liner felt a bit weird. That coupled with the sore knuckle, and extent of the skin breaks would seriously lead me to believe that you should definitely contact Ringside, and see about getting them exchanged.

The fact that it has never happened before, and the extent to which it ground into your skin, really leads me to believe that there is something defective in the gloves. Also, the fact that this is the first time I have heard anyone voice that concern, also makes me think it is probably "that" pair of gloves as opposed to those model of gloves.

What size did you get, Regular or Large?

:icon_chee

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  9. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

I have the same red S.E.s and they do indeed feel much nicer. As for your Campeon vs. IMF question - I do have a pretty clear initial opinion but I don't think it would be fair to pass judgment on the IMFs after so little use. I might end up updating my super bag glove comparison in the review section at a later point.

Large. I love a very snug fit but I have rather large hands so I didn't dare go regular.
    On one hand I really hope it's just a defective pair, but on the other hand that would be very problematic as I have the gloves here in Denmark and shipping them back most llikely would cost as much as a new pair :icon_neut

BTW ECS, holy hell the hand compartment in an 18oz pair of Cletos is huge!

10. ECS123

ECS123 Purple Belt

My Ringside IMF Tech Bag Gloves are size large, also. Check with Ringside, they may be able to send you a call tag for the return, if you decide to go that route. I was going to ask if you received the Cletos, and was wondering how big the hand pockets are on the H&L 18oz.er's. The hand compartment on my 16oz. lace ups are good. Enough room laterally, but still good.

:icon_chee

11. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

They are the 18oz laced S.E. version. I haven't used them yet, but without wraps I feel like I could fit 1