1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

So whats up with Cerrone just freezing up?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Deeboo**, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Organic Damage Vantablack belt

Seems plausible.

It might also be his lack of gameplanning, so that when a fight doesn't go his way he lacks a Plan B.

2. D 1 Wrestler Look up to me

I've said this 1000 times. He would get demolished by Diaz or Pettis 10/10 times, because he fights completely different vs someone that presses him or is more confident than him.

3. lord k Purple Belt

If Bendo and Cerone would have fought on the ground it would have been a more exciting fight. They would have scrambled back and forth etc. The pace would have been higher. What we got was a sparing match that started to pick up pace wise about half way through the 3rd round.

They were friends and have a high level of familiarity with each other so that can make for a boring slower paced fight.

The khabib fight will be interesting because he should be able to take cowboy down and there will be some scrambles and such instead of the I throw a 3 piece combo then you throw a 3 piece combo.

4. D 1 Wrestler Look up to me

unless he gets a lucky sub he gets demolished by confident, pressuring khabib

5. RockyLockridge Silver Belt

I agree with the sentiment that diaz would murder him if they rematched, he's improved but not enough.

I don't think either of the 2 are "elite" regardless, however they are both very exciting fighters to watch.

6. D 1 Wrestler Look up to me

he could improve 1,000%, doesn't matter because he doesn't fight loose vs those type of guys. He needs to improve mentally not his skills. Those angry leg kicks vs Jury? Where are those vs anyone who is more alpha than him? no where

7. AndrewGolota48 Silver Belt

He's probably half crippled at this point from fighting too much. He needs a breaky break.

8. masterless Sherdog Veteran

3 Reasons Cerrone wasn't his normal self against Bendo:

1) Bendo's wrestling and takedowns are on point

2)Bendo's sidekick to the leg and punch to the leg (these strikes are odd and keep your opponent guessing as well as the leg punch looks like an incoming shoot).

3) Bendo beat Cerrone twice already. That would be in the back of anyones mind keeping them at bay/ready for anything.

9. DrBdan Something clever

This. He said as much after the fight and remember him saying it in the past as well i.e. "sorry for not being aggressive because I had to respect his wrestling". Which is too bad because Cerrone has a solid BJJ game.

10. Roop Holstry Red Belt

He reminds me off Lawler in the way that he just stands in front of his opponents for a while with little output. Lawler and Cerrone seem to have some confidence issues and or mental lapses during their fights. We've seen both of them do it on multiple occasions.

They also seem to get mad after doing nothing for a while and then throw a flurry.

11. method115 Titanium Belt

Agree I really don't understand it cause it's like he doesn't even want to try anymore. Even when he's getting pressured a lot he seems to shut off like that.

12. Deeboo** White Belt

Yeah Lawler too. But i think Lawler is worried about the cardio game too. They should watch Condit/Hendricks and take notes.

13. sparkyjohannsen Purple Belt

He said in post fight interviews that both he and Bendo were timid in the fight because theyre good friends. It was pretty clear they weremt trying to blast eachothers faces off. Usually cowboy is great tho, even in the jury fight i thought he did alot.

14. lolcat15 Pickpocket

Because Bendo is tickly punching his thighs

15. Harlekin Black Belt

Less kicks against Wrestler is pretty normal.
    Whenever he attacked, Bendo retreated and that's frustrating.
    Cerrone's weakness are his footwork which is a bit plodding and average in speed.
    He also tends to arm punch quite some bit which costs him his reach advantage.

Bendo kicking his leg didn't help and they are also friends.

16. riitzni Silver Belt

Toluca Prison, hanging with the convicts and carvi
    Pretty much all of those.

Cerrone is a classic bully fighter. When he is winning easily he looks like god. It creates a confidence loop he feeds off. When someone takes it to him, roughs him up, he never responds well and loses. He *should* have lost the Benson fight but judges know that when in doubt, give it to the guy in the red corner.

17. xupacabra Brown Belt

Uh oh. I just don't know where to start..

Oh you know what ? Whatever.. Have a nice day.

18. ReadWrite Banned Banned

Cowboy is all hat and no cattle like Lesnar when he isn't controlling/getting hurt.

The wresting respect is a bit of an excuse, because his BJJ game is strong, and he nearly subbed BH a few times previously.

Cerrone has probably peaked in the div, so get used to this in his next few fights.

19. dontsnitch Steel Belt

Finally some objectivity, all I've seen since Cowboy/Benson 3 is people saying Bendo did nothing and he's boring as usual, but it takes 2 to tango, Cowboy did even less and was even more boring.

I'm not even criticizing the fight, I enjoyed it, but for as much as people complain about Rogan being bias and nut-hugging a fighter while they fight, a lot of people here do the same, they crap on Bendo, and they act as if Cowboy fought this incredible fight.

20. Lissove Guest

He hadn't have a training camp preparing him for this fight. Also note that people do change technically after years, so his last two fights gave him only a base measurement by which he should fight, something to make you survive and not cluelessly cover up. There could possibly come into play that he was preparing for another fighter not too long ago and the gameplan and techniques were still stuck in rudimentary form. Top all that with the danger of Benson's wrestling ability and you get to see freezing up.

He looked tentative in his striking, so I suppose it indeed was lack of training camp. Benson had the upper hand because his striking is more versatile, doesn't rely on going forward and striking, and so he could safely jab away at Cerrone from distance.