So whats the consensus: How much of Joker (2019) actually happened

Tufted-Coquette-Hummingbird.jpg

Last edited:
I think an alternate possibility is that what ye remembers as happy things was really him brutally murdering someone the reality might be that he was more murderous than he visualized because of his delusions.

Pheonix didn't portray Joker, his character is someone that inspired the real Joker to appear.

I prefer this take, it was disappointing that they didn't make that crystal clear at the end of the movie.

Arthur isn't smart or evil enough to be the actual joker.

I’ve only seen it once, just the other day, so maybe I need to watch it again.
Still haven't watched it.

I hate Phoenix, so might never watch.
You ever see U-Turn? If he doesn’t win you over in that one, then I dunno what to say.

its mostly real but like most documentary style films there are small embellishments

I really liked the movie, but I just couldn't see how this guy in a clown suit could somehow end up as batman's arch enemy.
Reportedly the sequel is planned to take place 10 years after the events in JOKER; also, producer Bradley Cooper's name has been batted around to take over Batman for this series.

the dancing was all super cringey. the only dancing that was cool was his entrance on to the stage onward (after the curtains were drawn open).

Every meaningful character was white, with no leading female roles. Terrible film.

everything after he gets into the refrigerator is a delusion.

Falling in acid/chemical waste after a robbery gone wrong has always been the most used origin, him being bipolar and depressive with a weak mind was never an angle before. He was always ruthless and cold
You forget that the most famous use of that origin you just said had him as a complete loser who quit a stable job, to pursue something he was terrible at causing him to fail at supporting his family. He then gets bullied by criminals into participating in a robbery, then stupidly he thinks it's a good idea to jump into a pipeline full of chemical waste to escape. Him being a weak minded loser has been an angle for decades, dude.

That’s a bummer. I was pretty content with the story ending there.

I agree with this. I hope studio leaves it alone. Plus Pheonix seems to hate the idea of reprising the role and according to posts I've seen on internet, he don't look like the type that take roles simply for big bucks.

So if Phoenix won't reprise, studio might
give up on the sequel.

I prefer this take, it was disappointing that they didn't make that crystal clear at the end of the movie.

Arthur isn't smart or evil enough to be the actual joker.

I like ambiguous endings. It lets the viewer decides what is true or not for themselves then leads to debate. That said, the film have to set it up previously for it to be great, not simply do a complete 180 with 5mins left just to tell audience, "hey, what you saw might be fake, mindblown right?" No, it won't mindblow me, it will mean your films is average.

Films that build up to the ending with ambiguity can be great. The most popular one is Interstellar. We were repeatedly told how to determine if it was real life or dream during the course of the film. Then the ending ends with 1s more that could tell us that. That's a good film that didn't make it clear.
The one that "tried" to be that is Matrix Revolution. I honestly have no idea wtf is happening at the ending.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the movie yet but if it's full of scenes that don't actually happen except in the main character's head then it's gonna have to be a skip for me.
source.gif

There is an argument to made that nothing happened after the original murders, and Fleck is revealed to be an unreliable narrator at the end, who made up all this shit when he was taken into custody and thrown in the loony bin. There are hints throughout, that this may be the case(like him just being allowed to roam around Wayne Manor...or wherever, in a poor disguise, and perhaps even the whole instant uprising caused by him killing the wall street dudes). I don't buy it though.

I think everything happened, except the delusions that were clearly pointed out in the film. It is an interesting aspect of the film though, and if no true sequel is ever made, it will continue to be debated, which is cool.

Reportedly the sequel is planned to take place 10 years after the events in JOKER; also, producer Bradley Cooper's name has been batted around to take over Batman for this series.

Really? That's the first I've even heard of there being a sequel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Judoka_Noob
Back