So what was Mike Pierce's gameplan?!

Andrei Orlovski

UFC black belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Did he run out of his corner to try and pin Palhares into the cage for wall and stall or did he actually try to take him down?!
One would think Pierce's gameplan should be striking with Paul Harris atleast before he gasses out.

Pierce game plan was to 'hector lombard' Paul Harris. Obviously he's not good enough to do that.

Last edited:
The plan was either to utilize his wrestling to keep the fight standing while gassing Palhares out and landing heavy shots from a distance, or to charge forward straight into Palhares grasp and get his leg torn off. One of the two.

Probably the same he uses against everyone - smothering wrestling assault with punches.

It was good guess that Palhares could wilt from it. Didn't work, obviously. :-D

Wrestle Smother than fail, unfortunatley for him

The same as always. Apparently he hadn't seen even one of Palhares' fights. He outcrazied Palhares in that regard. Absolutely nuts.

it looked to me like his gameplan was to NOT train leg submission defense after signing on the dotted line to fight toquinho.

brilliant strategy.

Pierce should have learned from Belcher.

it looked to me like his gameplan was to NOT train leg submission defense after signing on the dotted line to fight toquinho.

brilliant strategy.

To be fair, Pierce did escape the first attempt.

brilliant strategy.

It could be that Palhares is kind of good at heel hooks.

i think his gameplan was good, however, it was not executed properly.

Pierce game plan was to 'hector lombard' Paul Harris. Obviously he's not good enough to do that.
This^ while simultaneously attempting to keep his legs.
Harris seems to break under enough pressure. Guess it takes more than Pierce had.

It's true. You can almost see his face change expressions from "Let's get this sucka" to "Sweet Zombie Jesus! - I gotta get outta here!"

haha, I am going to be quoting that all through today. Thanks a lot.

Pierce thought he hurt Palhares with the right that connected and he was looking to swarm on him. After the initial clinch, he couldn't fully separate.

My only reaction was howww did Peirce not see that coming, Palhares wants to break your bones in the cage, thats quite evident everytime he fights, Peirce overcalculated on that right hand ^^^^, is true

Mike Pierce did the only thing he CAN do.
He rushed him, tried to cage him, where he would've used dirty-boxing and slowed the pace down to a crawl. He would've been broken up at 3:00 of the round, then rinse and repeat.

Its all he can do. He's a grinder with little else apart from cardio and toughness.

He didn't expect Palhares to be so strong, and obviously didn't expect him to be able to drop for the leg with his back against the fences. Good job, Toquinho!

Back