So, what was Hall's gameplan tonight exactly?

That's an interesting point. Maybe it's just his gym in general?
Yea I believe so, iirc he trains here in Texas, the same place as Geoff Neal, another talented guy who seemed to lose all fight IQ during his last fight.

Didn’t use any leg kicks against Magny of all people, just absolutely no excuse. You can’t possibly be watching tape of his fights, that’s literally his main weakness lol.

I don’t think MMA has evolved collectively in this department, most guys are just doing drills, sparring, cardio, then dieting before the fight.

And from personal experience it’s really hard to focus on tape during preparation, your too busy doing the other bs, you need someone else to really sit you down and guide you. Dillashaw is another guy who had Ludwig to give him that 1 on 1 attention and preparation.

I don't think that's what's best for him. He's always patient, too patient. He needs to turn it up, like others has mentioned it's his mental game mostly. Even during his fight Bisping would constantly say he has all the tools. Sean broke him early in the fight, they even talked about it in Sean's corner in between rounds.
Naw Uriah is just really stupid and thought it was a ten rounder. He was just waiting for the potential meth cook to gas.

Yea I believe so, iirc he trains in Texas, the same place as Geoff Neal, another talented guy who seemed to lose all fight IQ during his last fight.

Didn’t use any leg kicks against Magny of all people, just absolutely no excuse. You can’t possibly be watching tape of his fights, that’s literally his main weakness lol.
I think these dudes are just afraid of wrestling so they’re apprehensive on throwing kicks.

The Romero fight helped too, but then he lost his hair power and drank too much wine.
I feel you, I don't think it should have, but knowing SD I could see why that performance can be perceived that way. For me it showed how tough Costa could be, but he wasn't exactly piecing Yoel up.

Strickland is a guy who wants to walk you down, and beat you up with his hands. It's no secret. He's a tough, hard nosed fighter who pretty much throws jabs (solid ones), lead hooks and crosses. His defensive footwork has gotten better as his general boxing defense has improved but that's pretty much Sean Strickland in a nutshell.

That said, what exactly did Uriah and his team plan to do tonight? Stay in the pocket against the longer, more aggressive fighter who throws much more volume?

I don't get it. Hall is a much more versatile mmartist as the commentators pointed out. Why didn't he make it a point to mix it up with body kicks, front kicks, calf kicks, teeps, etc. instead of just willing to live in Strickland's element for 25 minutes?

There were so many points of the fight where I was thinking "throw a fucking calf kick", "throw a front kick" ,"throw a body kick", smh. He has a clear Advantage in that department and he completely neglected it all night .

Was this really their plan? Did they expect to KO him early?

Not sure if horrible game plan or Uriah is just too hesitant as he's been many times in the cage.

Frustrating to watch him

If you follow Halls career you would know that him having dominant brutal wins leads to bad perfromances shortly after. he was terrified to throw the calf kick after what happened to Weidman. I would assume that was the original plan, but he didn't like it when one of his kicks got checked and then went boxing heavy. He didn't throw any body kicks or anyhting and Strickland was wide open all night for any type of kick. It was one of those perfomances where they both didn't look that great to be honest.

well, I'm pretty sure it was to win but it just didn't work out that way. Pressure + reach is a powerful combination.

I typed it in the thread, but everyone knows how to beat Hall - rough him up, stay in his face, don't give him room to work and break him down. That's the blueprint and Sean basically brought tracing paper with him.

Hall didn't kick. Was content to stay in range and eat the jab. He didn't use any lateral movement until late in the second after his eye was compromised and he had been hurt and started to gas.

The guy is his own worse enemy. Even his corner did a great job tonight trying to get him to diversify, focus and let him know how the fight was going. It didn't work.
“That’s the blueprint and Sean basically brought tracing paper with him.”
I’m not sure if that’s a common expression but I’m going to use it in the future

Strickland is a guy who wants to walk you down, and beat you up with his hands. It's no secret. He's a tough, hard nosed fighter who pretty much throws jabs (solid ones), lead hooks and crosses. His defensive footwork has gotten better as his general boxing defense has improved but that's pretty much Sean Strickland in a nutshell.

That said, what exactly did Uriah and his team plan to do tonight? Stay in the pocket against the longer, more aggressive fighter who throws much more volume?

I don't get it. Hall is a much more versatile mmartist as the commentators pointed out. Why didn't he make it a point to mix it up with body kicks, front kicks, calf kicks, teeps, etc. instead of just willing to live in Strickland's element for 25 minutes?

There were so many points of the fight where I was thinking "throw a fucking calf kick", "throw a front kick" ,"throw a body kick", smh. He has a clear Advantage in that department and he completely neglected it all night .

Not sure if horrible game plan or Uriah is just too hesitant as he's been many times in the cage.

Frustrating to watch him

My opinion is that Hall checked out in the first already. Something took away his will early in the fight..he was completely out of it.

Everyone mentioning his lack of kicks...

do u guys remember his last fight?

hall is an emotional guy, I knew he was going to be gun shy coming in tonight after the Weidman fight.

takes nothing away from Strickland tho, dude is game af with his diaz bro style. Excited to see him fight some big dogs in the division

Doesn't really explain a kicking game near exclusively targeting the calf.

Hall just didn't want to use his weapons.

One of the best kickers in the game was barely throwing kicks. Was throwing single strikes and refused to follow up on successful attacks.

How a jab-kick, jab-cross-kick, and Jesus, even front kicks aren't bread and butter for him is mind blowing.

And he has an excellent reactive double leg that he could use to break the rhythm.

Didn't use any of it

My friends and I laughed that somewhere in the beginning of several rounds, Hall would come up looking crisp and land a strong leg kick. Then wouldn't throw another the entire round. It was like his plan was to come out, land a really hard, really well placed leg kick just to prove that if he wanted to he could chop strickland down, but then instead transitioned to 30 seconds of boxing, then took the next 4ish minutes of the round off. Lmao.

I'm so disappointed in/for Hall guys. He's the superior striker by far, he should have got some respect from Sean right from the opening bell. He completely broke in the 4th round and looked like he wanted to be out there. As others have said it's a mindset thing with Hall, now he's thrown away the best win streak of his UFC career to a guy ranked beneath him.

What a shame, guy is talented as hell, and seems like a great dude too.

Frustrating to watch him

Throwing a lot of kicks against a guy who has the reach advantage and throws a lot of straight, hard punches is a good way to get yourself knocked out....

Throwing a lot of kicks against a guy who has the reach advantage and throws a lot of straight, hard punches is a good way to get yourself knocked out....
hall has the reach advantage over Sean.

Back