So what problems will Overeem give Cain?

Overeem has slower hands than JDS, but he is definitely better in the clinch than JDS, and probably better on the ground. JDS probably has better TDD and ability to get up, but Overeem hasn't been tested very well in this area in the last 4-5 years, so who knows.

Hopefully Reem beats Bigfoot and sets up a superfight. Hopefully the UFC makes the Cain vs Reem fight in Texas...

Knees in the clinch and the guillotine.

I still think Cain wins though, Overeem is rather slowpaced and will not be able to deal with Cain's riddum. Overeem doesn't have the chin and TDD JDS has and you saw how JDS fared.

I predict Cain would take him down & TKO him. Reem wouldn't be able to get back up as easily as JDS, nor does he have the chin of JDS.

I personally think Reem is too slow to be able to use them effectively.

Reem is deceptively quick . I can't wait if/when this fight happens . Wouldn't rule out Bigfoot against reem tho . He's got great ground game

Overeem is an absolute BEAST in the clinch, which is the biggest problem I see for Cain. He won't want to shoot in from outside on Overeem for fear of the knee, so he'll attempt to close the gap and use clinch work to transition to a takedown. Not very smart against a big strong guy like Overeem who has a penchant for throwing knees with purpose in the clinch.

Spot on. Cain will win but this aspect of Overeem will keep interesting while it last.

I personally like this matchup a lot more for Overeem. His very dangerous clinch will take out a big part in cains game.

The knee's and a possible guilliotine are hoovering over him constantly.

Very excited about this and curious about betting odds.

Pretty much. Cain will have a much harder time pressuring Overeem simply because of how good he is inside with his Thai clinch and knees. And even if it does go to the ground, Overeem's more dangerous with submissions than JDS.

Reem's gas tank is a problem though, so if Cain can push it into the Championship rounds his chances shoot up tremendously.
not even championship rounds.

If it gets to the third round Cain has it in the bag.

Pretty much. Cain will have a much harder time pressuring Overeem simply because of how good he is inside with his Thai clinch and knees. And even if it does go to the ground, Overeem's more dangerous with submissions than JDS.

Reem's gas tank is a problem though, so if Cain can push it into the Championship rounds his chances shoot up tremendously.

I think if it last sanymore than 3 rounds even if overeem is battering him up until then ..overeem will gas badly and wont be able to take the beating jds did when gassed out.

overeem%252520shogun.gif

I don't know who to choose in this fight, I don't like either of them..

Cain's going to Shang Tsung the cheating Overeem.

Brock's muscles didn't help him against Cain, and Overeem gasses even faster.

"Which wall do I mount his head on after I kill him". That's the only problem Reem poses Cain.

Well we can look at multiple challenges the Reem presents on top of strength and power advantages:

Start with one word : Uberknee

Then, there's Overeem's TDD - Cormier is the sole HW I could see taking down Overeem at will, and I'm not even sure Cormier could do it consistently over 5 rounds

There's his diversified striking - Overeem's Dutch kickboxing training is s sort of combination of Muay Thai, European boxing and even some Kyokushin. You never know how anyone is gonna fair against this unique and unpredictable style until the fight actually goes down.

And then there's the overlooked sub skills - particularly his dangerous guillotine choke

So, depending on how good of fighting shape he is in and how effectively he has trained since his forcibly induced vacation, the Reem will pose quite a few problems for anyone.

The Reem actually has pretty good TDD. He can finish opponents with knees, kicks or punches and works effectively both at range and in the clinch. JDS was beaten primarily due to being ineffective at close range and because he struggled to land any offence when clinched against the cage; Overeem is very dangerous in these areas. His guillotine is a great counter to sloppy takedowns also.

The reem can give Velasquez a lot of problems. Optimus has got a ton more fight experience, he is clearly the best striker Velasquez will have fought, his physical size in combination with his speed & strength will be something Velasquez has never fought.

He has 99 problems but JDS ain't one.
But Overeem is, so what do you think?
The only advantage I see Overeem having over Cain is his strength. Overeem's K1 kickboxing doesn't really transition over too well in MMA since he has to worry about the takedown (see the Werdum fight).
Discuss...

Only difference between last night and Reem vs Cain matchup would be Uberknees from the clinch. If Reem can't take him out in the first the ref will stop it if he's takin the beating JDS was taking. Reems gastank wont be enough to battle Cain's pace.

You people are dreaming if you think Overeem will make it until the third without gassing, he GASSED badly in the fight with Werdum, doing pretty much nothing the entire fight, he'll be live for the first round, after that he'll be done.

Cain is a nightmare matchup for Overeem, while Overeem doesnt really offer anything for Cain outside of a 5minute punchers chance.

Overeem will get gameplanned and broken in pieces.

That brutal knee to the body he might have to eat trying to get inside.

Back