So, what is the deal with Jones' wrestling credentials?

Heres all the creditials you need to see. Taking down an undefeated Olympic Wrestler who had never been taken down or lost a round in MMA:

Jon%2BJones%2BTrip%2BTake%2BDowns%2BDaniel%2BCormier%2BUFC%2B182.gif

Jon%2BJones%2BTakes%2BDown%2BDaniel%2BCormier%2BUFC%2B182.gif

That fight was so great. Really makes me miss Jones now watching him fight was something special.

Talking about what "could have been" is stupid. Fact is, he never tried to make a world team and he never will. He is not on the level of Romero, DC, Askren or even King Mo

Agreed with all of this. Then again Romero,DC,Askren, and even King Mo are nowhere near his level in MMA which is all that really matters.

Heres all the creditials you need to see. Taking down an undefeated Olympic Wrestler who had never been taken down or lost a round in MMA:

Jones is a great wrestler, and so is DC. But in these 2 instances, the position that Jones exploits doesn't exist in any sport wrestling style.

Wall walking and takedowns against the cage are unique to MMA and never happen in any other combat sport, and obviously there are no kicks or strikes in folkstyle or either of the international styles. So an Olympic wrestling pedigree is irrelevant here.

Still impressive as hell, but its been said many times, wrestling =/= MMA wrestling.

Last edited:
Agreed with all of this. Then again Romero,DC,Askren, and even King Mo are nowhere near his level in MMA which is all that really matters.

I'd say DC is close to his level in MMA. I thought their fight was pretty close.

That fight was so great. Really makes me miss Jones now watching him fight was something special.

Yes. His fight IQ, grappling strength, striking ability, speed, quickness, techniques, explosiveness and raw power are unparalleled. He is a human highlight reel. In the Octagon.

catching a kick has nothing to do with wrestling and the only take down he landed on DC was after about 17 mins of grueling fighting DC was clearly gassed out.

Props to Jones though DC could not get him down till the 5th and even though very gassed landing a takedown on DC is still awesome.

Anyone remember the fight with Rampage. It was the end of a round and Jackson stood over Jones, straddling his head. Jones just stood up and Page went flying through the air. Never seen such pure old retarded farmer strength

catching a kick has nothing to do with wrestling and the only take down he landed on DC was after about 17 mins of grueling fighting DC was clearly gassed out.

Props to Jones though DC could not get him down till the 5th and even though very gassed landing a takedown on DC is still awesome.

When Jones was able to consistently turn DC against the cage, and pin him there, that's when I knew the fight was over. That was one of the most impressive things he did in the fight. I didn't think anyone would be able to over power DC against the cage, especially at LHW. Jones has crazy, gorilla strength.

Which is a combo of
Old man strength
Tard strength
And farmer strength

When Jones was able to consistently turn DC against the cage, and pin him there, that's when I knew the fight was over. That was one of the most impressive things he did in the fight. I didn't think anyone would be able to over power DC against the cage, especially at LHW. Jones has crazy, gorilla strength.

yeah that was impressive. Good thing he cant strike elite level, his striking is kinda meh, otherwise there wouldnt be much questions about him being the GOAT.

strenght, speed, cardio, reach, wrestling, gnp, permission to eyepoke, damn. If he could strike he would definitely be the best out there.

Anyone remember the fight with Rampage. It was the end of a round and Jackson stood over Jones, straddling his head. Jones just stood up and Page went flying through the air. Never seen such pure old retarded farmer strength

Jones definitely has all 3 "strengths" you mention, but if we're thinking of the same moment, it was when Bones was trying to TD Rampage and the bell sounded. Rampage relaxed, but Bones finished the TD and threw him over his shoulder anyway, then Rampage glared at him like WTF.

To me, was more Rampage letting his guard down than retard/farmer/old man strength on the part of Jones.

yeah that was impressive. Good thing he cant strike elite level, his striking is kinda meh, otherwise there wouldnt be much questions about him being the GOAT.

strenght, speed, cardio, reach, wrestling, gnp, permission to eyepoke, damn. If he could strike he would definitely be the best out there.

I'd rate his kicks and knees in the clinch among the best in MMA, as far as effectiveness goes. His boxing might not be the crispest, but his unorthodox striking meshes so well with his overall skill set, you gotta rank him among the top tier in an MMA sense.

I'd say DC is close to his level in MMA. I thought their fight was pretty close.

Really? I mean it was competitive in the beginning but I never thought it was a close fight. That's with Jones playing into DC's game plan/style. The Gus fight is more of what I think of when I hear close fight.

Yep that's pretty much when I knew the fight was over. After that the only way I saw DC winning was a hail mary KO or something like that.

Really? I mean it was competitive in the beginning but I never thought it was a close fight. That's with Jones playing into DC's game plan/style. The Gus fight is more of what I think of when I hear close fight.

Yeah, Jones won but it wasn't a blowout. I thought Jones was hurt once or twice in the fight. I think DC could have taken it if he kept boxing him. Point being, DC is close enough to being on Jon's level, just didn't get it done in the fight.

Jones definitely has all 3 "strengths" you mention, but if we're thinking of the same moment, it was when Bones was trying to TD Rampage and the bell sounded. Rampage relaxed, but Bones finished the TD and threw him over his shoulder anyway, then Rampage glared at him like WTF.

thats funny you mention that, that position Jones was in is actually a wrestling technique for where if you shoot it and the guy sprawls back, you put your head underneath the crotch, lift him up with your head and come out the back for 2. Not hard at all and doesn't take much strength

Back