So, what is the deal with Jones' wrestling credentials?

TdotK

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Is it true that if he didn't have a baby to take care of, he would've had a full ride scholarship to one of the best wrestling colleges, and had Olympic potential? I heard or read that somewhere. Anyone got the full details?

My wrestling coach actually coached in New York at the time Jones was a senior, apparently everyone knew about his horrible grades and had to go to a CC in Iowa before being able to transfer. Was a State Champ and competed/placed at Fargo's in Greco...was a pretty highly touted talent that was veing recruited for Iowa State

1011528_550908861613268_2109493905_n.jpg

My wrestling coach actually coached in New York at the time Jones was a senior, apparently everyone knew about his horrible grades and had to go to a CC in Iowa before being able to transfer. Was a State Champ and competed/placed at Fargo's in Greco...was a pretty highly touted talent that was veing recruited for Iowa State

So, pretty much he could've been on the level of Hendricks, Phil Davis, etc. if he continued on, or got better grades with the potential of making the Olympic team?

So, basically, he was just as good as the best guys in the UFC in terms of wrestling, minus DC, and Romero. But with the potential to have been on DC and Romero's level?

lol at Jones taking care of a baby.

Interesting, I didnt know any of this

Crazy thing is, I bet he could've whooped all those guys' asses in a real fight 1 by 1 in 1 night, even back then.

As long as the 'real fight' didn't involve wrestling, you mean?

Heres all the creditials you need to see. Taking down an undefeated Olympic Wrestler who had never been taken down or lost a round in MMA:

Jon%2BJones%2BTrip%2BTake%2BDowns%2BDaniel%2BCormier%2BUFC%2B182.gif

Jon%2BJones%2BTakes%2BDown%2BDaniel%2BCormier%2BUFC%2B182.gif

Crazy thing is, I bet he could've whooped all those guys' asses in a real fight 1 by 1 in 1 night, even back then.

Chipper by air boxing KO.
To bad hes to much of a stoner to fight in the ufc. Lol gotta love that kid.

Jones was that typical stoner kid

Coach Mike over at BE wrote the definitive guide on this topic:

We know that Jones was a national junior college champion, and was allotted scholarship money by wrestling powerhouse Iowa State University. These facts speak volumes about his abilities, but I believe that far more exact knowledge can be gained about Jones' wrestling pedigree by examining the results from his run in the NHSCA Senior Nationals, while he was still in high school in 2005.

As long as the 'real fight' didn't involve wrestling, you mean?

Well, real fighting involves kicks, and punches. He'd be good enough to not be taken down at will, and straight up mounted or side mounted. MMA wrestling is a whole lot different with strikes, and Jones mastered it.

Well, real fighting involves kicks, and punches. He'd be good enough to not be taken down at will, and straight up mounted or side mounted. MMA wrestling is a whole lot different with strikes, and Jones mastered it.

Not back then he didn't.

Not back then he didn't.

Let's assume they'd all be at the same level in terms of fighting, and only have their physical attributes. I think Jones, even without formal MMA training, would still just beat their asses.

So, pretty much he could've been on the level of Hendricks, Phil Davis, etc. if he continued on, or got better grades with the potential of making the Olympic team?

So, basically, he was just as good as the best guys in the UFC in terms of wrestling, minus DC, and Romero. But with the potential to have been on DC and Romero's level?

Certainly not Romero's level in this lifetime.

Let's assume they'd all be at the same level in terms of fighting, and only have their physical attributes. I think Jones, even without formal MMA training, would still just beat their asses.

Sure, so long as they don't take him down and pound his head into mush against the floor.

He had a very good chance of becoming an NCAA champion.

He was a Juco national champion and that is better than most people realize. It is full of wrestlers that didn't have the grades.

While in Juco he beat many Div 1 guys including Max Askren.

Cormier was a Juco wrestler as well.

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2011/mar/15/college-wrestling-career-helped-jon-jones/

Back