So what is the consensus between Semmy vs. Hoost

Schilt in the mid-late 90s would have been really interesting.

Would favour Aerts over him for sure, and think Hoost and JLB would have a lot more success versus him too.

That said, he'd be right in the mix.

Very hard choice... It is clear that Shilt was more effective due to his bigger stance and punching power. Hoost was not particularly powerful with his hands, however he compensated with skills. They have fought 3 times: 1 draw, 1 TKO and 1 decision, both in favour of Shilt. I don`t believe that he is technically the best kickboxer however he is very efficient.

That draw was also a win for Schilt, it was only a draw because it was some sort of exhibition k1 vs mma. (Pride Shockwave 2002). Everyone saw that Hoost had nothing on Schilt. Schilt then made transition from MMA to full K1 en kicked ass for years to come. Hoost is more technical but Schilt is just the best heavyweight kickboxer of the last 20 years. He was the best in the prime era. K1 is dead now, Rico Verhoeven is King of the C-league. Verhoeven would be very mediocore in the prime era of Hoost, Aerts, Schilt, Leko, Hari, Sefo, LeBanner, Bojaski, Crocop etc.

Verhoeven would be very mediocore in the prime era of Hoost, Aerts, Schilt, Leko, Hari, Sefo, LeBanner, Bojaski, Crocop etc.
Verhoeven certainly wouldn't be as dominant as he can get rattled by hard shots and those guys certainly delivered them, but from a technical standpoint he is incredibly sound and would easily be a top guy in that field. He wouldn't replace Semmy at the top that's for sure though.

Verhoeven would be very mediocore in the prime era of Hoost, Aerts, Schilt, Leko, Hari, Sefo, LeBanner, Bojaski, Crocop etc.

"Mediocre" is a big word. I reckon he would have been able to compete with the top. He's big, athletic and clearly has some skills.
Would he have been the best of all of them? Probably not and we will never know anyway. However we need to remember that Rico's lack of competition today compared to what it could have been a decade or two ago also plays a part in the fighter he is today.

Technically speaking you would have to give it to Hoost, his lowkicks are a thing of beauty, or that Lowkick fake into a left hook into a lowkick when the opponents full weight is on that leg.

Poetry in motion!

GargantuanLazyAnchovy-max-14mb.gif

swCYqn.gif

dx535zB.gif

giphy.gif

It seems to me Schilt could have been successful in karate (since it was his base) or Muay Thai (with his height and knees), but I don't recall him fighting much in either. I wonder why, maybe money?

Semmy did fight in kyokushin and ashihara knockdown-karate tournaments and did fairly well. But he belonged (still do) to a tiny organization not affiliated to any of the big groups, and this was in the very worst period of rivalry between knockdown-karate organizations when no-one cooperated with anyone. He simply did not have access to the big knockdown-karate tournaments where he could face top ranks opposition and make a name for himself internationally. Most would have left his tiny organization and joined a big one, but semmy stayed with his original teacher to this day.
He did take a champion title (the highest title they had -they only existed in japan at the time) in Daido juku kudo (kyokushin offshot "former"-karate based MMA -youtube it if you dont know it). His karate organization had some historical ties and he was invited as a guest fighter whom none believed had a chance. I think that win was why he later got into MMA.

Last edited:
Back