So what is the consensus between Semmy vs. Hoost

MoreKane

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
1. who was greater head to head (in their prime who would you favor)

2. who has the greater accomplishments overall, who ranks greater legacy wise

Very hard choice... It is clear that Shilt was more effective due to his bigger stance and punching power. Hoost was not particularly powerful with his hands, however he compensated with skills. They have fought 3 times: 1 draw, 1 TKO and 1 decision, both in favour of Shilt. I don`t believe that he is technically the best kickboxer however he is very efficient.

1) Hard to call that one. You could probably choose either one and it would be the correct answer. Both were the best of the best.
2) Hoost. He had a successful career before K-1 where Semmy's success was almost entirely in K-1. Hoost held titles in just about every form of kickboxing. K-1, MT, IR, Full Contact, Savate. He was very versatile and like a kickboxing jack of all trades. I can't think of another fighter that had as much success in as many disciplines as Hoost. His career lasted for more than 20 years.

Personally I like Schilt. His run in K1 was remarkable. Everytime he was in a fight or tournament it felt like he'd find a way to win. His game plans were simple but effective.

Having said that if someone said Hoost, there is no real argument against that either.

Technically speaking you would have to give it to Hoost, his lowkicks are a thing of beauty, or that Lowkick fake into a left hook into a lowkick when the opponents full weight is on that leg.

But Schilt was the more scary fighter to face I think, I remember thinking anytime he stepped in the ring, how the hell are you supposed to beat him under kickboxing rules.

They both have 4 wgp titles but Semy won 3 in a row and had a damn near perfect win ratio in the final 8. Hoost also won several other kickboxing world titles including 2 k-3 (k-1 light heavyweight tournament) gps and fought in the k-1 golden era. Semy also held the k-1 super heavyweight title and went on to win the Glory title and world tournament. There accomplishments are about the same imo. If we are talking about a fight between the two in their primes I’d say that Semy wins.

1) Hard to call that one. You could probably choose either one and it would be the correct answer. Both were the best of the best.
2) Hoost. He had a successful career before K-1 where Semmy's success was almost entirely in K-1. Hoost held titles in just about every form of kickboxing. K-1, MT, IR, Full Contact, Savate. He was very versatile and like a kickboxing jack of all trades. I can't think of another fighter that had as much success in as many disciplines as Hoost. His career lasted for more than 20 years.

To be fair Schilt spent years of his youth fighting in MMA (a bit strange considering how much better he turned out to be at kickboxing), plus he got a bit unlucky that K1 folded. He could have had another title in 2011 or 2012 (i guess his 2012 Glory title is closest comparable in value to a K1 belt).
It seems to me Schilt could have been successful in karate (since it was his base) or Muay Thai (with his height and knees), but I don't recall him fighting much in either. I wonder why, maybe money?

To be fair Schilt spent years of his youth fighting in MMA (a bit strange considering how much better he turned out to be at kickboxing), plus he got a bit unlucky that K1 folded. He could have had another title in 2011 or 2012 (i guess his 2012 Glory title is closest comparable in value to a K1 belt).
It seems to me Schilt could have been successful in karate (since it was his base) or Muay Thai (with his height and knees), but I don't recall him fighting much in either. I wonder why, maybe money?
He did compete in Karate before moving into MMA from age 8-23, so 15 years. There was/is literally no division for him in Muay Thai he's way too big, and ya obviously no money in Karate.

How successful is a normal sized version of Schilt ?

Probably not too succesful. He was quite well-rounded but slow and didn't have much "true" KO power in his hands. He relied a lot on grinding down his opponents with his jabs, front kicks, knees etc. It would not have worked had he not been so long and heavy.

It should also be noted that his 2 wins against Hoost came as Ernesto was exiting the sport.

Bob Sapp also has two wins against him for that matter. lol

how fast and coordinated is a seven foot Hoost?
Exactly.

People want to criticize Semmy as being good just because of his size and that he otherwise has awkward looking technique, but the same size responsible for his advantage is also responsible for his awkward technique.

The argument that Semmy was only as good as he was because of his size is a dumb argument.

Probably not too succesful. He was quite well-rounded but slow and didn't have much "true" KO power in his hands. He relied a lot on grinding down his opponents with his jabs, front kicks, knees etc. It would not have worked had he not been so long and heavy.
Roughly 50% of his fights (not wins) resulted in him KOing his opponent. He's done it with his hands, knees, and various types of kicks. He also has the record for the fastest K-1 WGP run.

I know but it certainly appears that most of those knock outs probably would not have happened had he been the same size as his opponents. He learned very well to utilize his length and weight behind his shots, his finishing strikes were generally not "explosive" but clubbering heavy blows (think George Foreman vs Joe Frazier) e.g. those jabs he downed Hari and Sefo with.

I agree that Schilt was very talented and well rounded, but his style was really geared to using his size; him being rather slow and without "explosive" KO power meant it kind of had to be this way.

BTW I remember Aerts saying that every time he fought Schilt his whole body hurt afterwards because he would just keep clobbering him with heavy blows throughout the whole fight. I think this is roughly how Schily fought at his most effective, just that sometimes he got an opportunity to finish the fight early.

Of course his style is geared towards his size, as it should be. I've seen countless guys at his size that were completely clueless on how to properly utilize it, Schilt is clearly the best at it and his Karate background helps with the emphasis on front snap kicks and straight punches. He's also a southpaw fighting from an orthodox stance, so his jab is actually his power hand.

My main complaint is people using the fact that he uses his size as a negative, as if he's only that good because of his size, and that he otherwise looks slow and not aesthetically pleasing. The reason he looks like that is because of his body type, you remove the body type and he'd be a different looking fighter, and would still have the same fight mentality of a guy that had 50 KB and 40 MMA fights against the top guys consistently with high levels of success.

Oh I didn't mean it as a negative. He did the right thing with the tools that he had, same as Musashi, Bonjasky, Mayweather,GSP and many others who got criticized for their style, unjustly so in my opinion.

I was just pointing out that his style was very heavily reliant on his physical traits. Had he been smaller, it wouldn't have worked. He would have had to build a completely different style for himself. Would he have managed to do so? Hard to say, he probably would have been faster which would have opened up some possibilities. But my general guess would have been no; generally size benefits and I feel that this is especially true for Semmy because the things that he was good at specifically worked for big fighters.

Back