So what do you think of UFC 190 now? Rate it.

HorseGloves

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Previously, everyone looked at the card and decided it was garbage but there was a lot of excitement. Cummins/Feijao, Maia/Magny, Shogun/LilNog, Ronda's destruction of Bethe...

I didn't get to see the whole thing so I won't rate it. But I appreciated what I saw.

It was a very good card. Lots of finishes, lots of blood, heaps of excitement.

I watched all but two fights. Even the women's fight and Brazillian TUF fights were entertaining. Lots of heart shown, the fighters put everything on the line. 8.3/10

Terrible card, as expected.

Prelims 6/10 and main card 5/10. That is not garbage but not near as high quality as some others in recent months.

I enjoyed it. There were some stinkers, but Maia got me pumped at fuck when he came out guns blazing, pulling guard and mounting Magny repeatedly. Maia looked like a Top 5 last night against a surging contender.

Cummins didn't interest me until he almost murdered Feijao with those hellbows. Good showing from him.

Shogun got the win, which made me happy, but he looked like he'd aged 10 years in the past couple of fights. He looked great against Hendo in the rematch and against Te Huna, but he looked slow and vulnerable last night, and I wish he would've retired there and then.

Struve came back and looked really bad, still not making the most of his reach. I heard he was very sick, though, so he gets a pass.

Gadelha vs. Aguilar was okay. It established Gadelha as the consensus #2 at WSW and set up Joanna's next title defence, so it served its purpose.

Lopes vs. Vieira was fun, but it should've been on the prelims. Same with Franca vs. Bruno, which was considerably less fun.

Watching Palelei give up against Bigfoot was pretty bad, but whatever neither guy looked good.

Ronda beating Bethe was expected, so I wasn't pumped or excited when it happened.

Overall, 7/10, not the worst card ever, but not every card can be 189.

Highlight: Maia looking like a beast at 37.

Everyone has different taste for sure but how the hell a fan dont enjoy that card???

Everyone has different taste for sure but how the hell a fan dont enjoy that card???
The pacing could've been better; they should have had the TUF fights on the prelims and bumoed Maia vs. Magny to the main card. They had big names, then no-names, then big names again.

Shogun and Big Nog's fights would have been interesting 6 or 7 years ago.

TuF finalists' fights were out of order. Either bottom of the main card or preliminary.

Maia belonged on the main card. 7 fights? Fuck it. Might has well have made it 8.

The pacing could've been better; they should have had the TUF fights on the prelims and bumoed Maia vs. Magny to the main card. They had big names, then no-names, then big names again.

Agree with this also, the two TUF fights in the middle of the card didn't make sense to me (even tho the first fight was a decent scrap, I went out and made myself food during the second one as I had no interest in it)

I was really impressed by Cummins and how Maia manhandled Magny. I had trouble staying awake through the later part of the card. I'm an old man these days haha

Agree with this also, the two TUF fights in the middle of the card didn't make sense to me (even tho the first fight was a decent scrap, I went out and made myself food during the second one as I had no interest in it)
I don't know why they didn't just go with the TUF Brazil 4 Finale with Story vs. Silva as was planned. Kinda annoying they had shoe-horn in some TUF fights on the main card, above Gadelha, Aguilar, Bigfoot, Maia, Magny, Big Nog and Struve, no less.

I was thinking the same thing. It was good exposure to the TUF guys though, the girls fought well too. It was like old school fighters and new breed.

All in all it kept me entertained for a few hours, Rogan and Goldie were in to the event too. Sometime when they call cards you can tell they are bored and disinterested but but not this event.

I rate it very low, especially compared to The UFC PPVs of the Randy Couture and Chuck Liddell eras. Big Nog spent most of his fight trying to hug Struve. I don't know what he thought that would accomplish but we all saw it didn't accomplish anything.

If this sport is to become as big as Dana White used to predict it would become, something has to be done about the constant hugging and the "BJJ guards" which basically consist of a man lying on the ground and wrapping his thighs around the man on top of him, pressing that guy's body as close as he possibly can against his crotch and the rest of his body. I don't want to see that and most people don't want to see that. The BJJ guard is responsible more than any other single factor for MMA not becoming more popular than it is.

They could get rid of that problem very simply. All they have to do is start counting pinfalls as a way to win and suddenly you won't see guys lying on their backs with their shoulders against the mat while they wrap their thighs around the man on top of them and proceed to squeeze that guy's body as closely against their own as closely as they possibly can. It would not be the end of using submissions. Catch wrestlers used plenty of submissions and they also had to make sure their shoulders weren't against the mat or they would be pinned and lose. What it would be is using catch wrestling as the base of this sport and then allowing all the strikes which are currently allowed.

The main card was one of the worst I've seen in a long time. The first TUF finalist fight was pretty fun but that's about it.

TERRIBLE. Other than Ronda's fight, I couldn't stay interested in a single fight at the bar... the two TUF fights on the main card were garbage, both Noguieras were garbage. It was a facebook prelim on PPV.

(But I expected that)

I was actually looking forward to this card and thought it had a lot of potential for excitement, but I thought it was a letdown(I only watched the main card and Maia/Magny). I thought what it lacked in relevant, high quality fights it'd make up for with excitement, but I thought mostly everybody just looked awful.

8/10, it loses 2 points cause of those awful tuf finales i literally slept through

7/10 if you count the post fight presser coming on at like 6am the next day

This is one of the rare occasions I rated a card higher than the general consensus on sherdog. Maybe because I had log expectations and I like the brazilian crows and watching HW division.

Back