So what about Weidman ? Did he defeat old retiring fighters or he is GOAT potential ?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Hazuki Ryo, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Hazuki Ryo

Hazuki Ryo Green Belt

I am reading a lot of mixed remarks about him.. Some say he defeated old rusty brazilians, some say he beat one of the greatest two times and two dangerous strikers, some say he's the best at the division, maybe up to light heavyweight also..

Pretty confusing. I find it amusing that the same people who claim Anderson is now the shadow of himself, jump now on the Weidman bandwaggon telling everyone who wants to hear it that this kid beat the most feared man in UFC..

2. Taric

Taric Gold Belt

Anderson and Machida were favored to defeat The Chris... Anderson was even the betting favorite to defeat The Chris in the rematch.

In short: Revisionist history

3. ForbiddenSun

ForbiddenSun The VP Platinum Member

"So what about Weidman ? Did he defeat old retiring fighters or he is GOAT potential ?"

So pretty much Jon Jones...

4. SerrabyTKO

SerrabyTKO Purple Belt

Both of those statements can be true.

5. loisestrad

loisestrad Gold Belt Platinum Member

Source. Are those the same people?

6. Candy Routure

Candy Routure Brown Belt

The revisionist never gets it perfect.

7. psychodad

psychodad Brown Belt

He is probably the best fighter in the active roster right now. If he stays relatively healthy, I see him keeping the belt for a long time. Might even move up to 205 and challenge for the belt in that as well.

Most people already know he is really good, but they are used to associating flash with "good" and Weidman is like "german engineering"...does everything extremely well and efficiently and looks like he's not doing much at all. Some still don't know to expect it, and are surprised how this "lumbering brute" keeps leaving these flashy guys on the floor of the octagon.

8. Baba Ghanoush

Baba Ghanoush Black Belt

Here we go again with the same revisionist nonsense that people also tried to apply to Jon Jones. All these defeated fighters were at the apex of their careers when they fought Weidman/Jones.

9. Rob_M.

Rob_M. Brown Belt

Whatever...with every champion comes this sort of thing. It's silly. Chris has faced some great competition. To go from Munoz to Anderson is quite a jump in skill and he overcame it. Haters gonna hate.

10. Bels89

Bels89 Blue Belt

He is retiring fighters. Anderson was the consensus #1 in the world at the time. Weidman was beating him at his own game -stand up in both fights before the TKO's. Weidman BROKE a very good Machida as well as set the blueprint to how to slow him down and beat him - he doesn't get credit for that. He absolutely destroyed Vitor. He is destroying #1 contenders - the best guys in his division in the world.

11. BenRichards

BenRichards Brown Belt

the only guy who people could did claim was old & on the downslope was vitor. i'm pretty sure everyone had a good idea that vitor might be shot by the time he fought chris. then again if old lion rips a couple wins in the near future then whats the preception?

the dirty little secret nobody talks about. the only time he fought guy his size and age he ended up in the fight of his life.

12. kalabula

kalabula Brown Belt

Weidman is obviously good but what equally (I'd say more) obvious is that Andy and Belfort are and were way past there primes. Machida as well just to a lesser degree.
    I think the rockhold fight will answer some of these questions as well.

13. INoHespectChael

INoHespectChael Black Belt

Well they were all in their late 30s when he fought them. Silva didn't look very fast at all getting tagged in his fight with Bonnar before Weidman.

Does anyone here actually believe you're in your prime when you're 38 years old?

14. fightdonttweet

fightdonttweet Banned Banned

There are no young fighters in that division. The youngest is 30-year-old Rockhold, who would have already got a title shot if he hadn't been knocked out by the old lion.

15. manu1433

manu1433 Blue Belt

Why is every current champion a GOAT to Sherdog?

Silva went 8 years without a loss in the middle of his career in the UFC.

Weidman has a pretty big mountain to climb.

16. fightdonttweet

fightdonttweet Banned Banned

Revisionist history. He leaned against the cage and told Bonnar to hit him.

17. INoHespectChael

INoHespectChael Black Belt

He sure did. Getting hit a bunch of times by one of the slowest fighters in the UFC. The Silva that fought Belfort/Franklin wouldn't have got hit once.

[​IMG]

18. IWANTTOTRAINUFC

IWANTTOTRAINUFC Green Belt

The problem was a lot of people didn't think he deserved it. The only obstacle for Andy at the time was Weidman who was a prospect. Jones was a hot prospect at the time who got the shot due to an injury. So a lot of people are still butt hurt these prospects beat their idols.
    As an Andy fan, and watching Weidman beat him twice, he deserves props and proved he's legit.
    People forget when Machida dropped down to MW, he looked great, better than ever. So Weidman beating Machida just helped prove his status.
    Not a fan of Weidman, (he broke my idol) but I'm not denying he's legit.

19. Future GOAT

Future GOAT McGOAT

Haha, I guess it depends on who you're asking.

20. Ragnarocker

Ragnarocker Banned Banned

Let's lock this thread and revisit it after Weidman fights Rockhold.