So we've got an Alliance Black Belt coming to Judo now

OK - maybe it isn't so much getting your guard passed as your reaction when it DOES get passed. I can only relate my experience. Perhaps that experience is due to the individuals in each club.

I do both bjj AND judo. I have much less trouble passing to sidemount in BJJ than in judo. I find BJJers are more relaxed about being in sidemount/mount. That doesnt work in judo - as turtling doesnt work in BJJ.

I have WAY less trouble submitting from guard in judo than in BJJ.

OK - maybe it isn't so much getting your guard passed as your reaction when it DOES get passed.

That part makes more sense. Because in BJJ, something that is stressed everywhere very heavily is that nobody passes your guard.

Think about it like a brilliant teacher in a curricular subject.
Sure you can probably get a better grade or get away with small mistakes with a crappy professor, but you will never know more than what a crappy professor knows. If you take a course with a brilliant professor who grades you down when he catches your mistakes you may suffer in the short term, but you will slowly approach the level of the professor as time goes on!

Now would you ask the professor to teach you things you can lookup on wikipedia or learn at community college? No way jose. Push your comfort zone.

hahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahah!!!!!!!!!

I'd take advantage of it to the fullest. Learn what you can, its a great opportunity. Make it clear to him that you're going to learn everything you can from him, and push it hard when you do randori. He'll understand, and will probably enjoy teaching as he ties you in knots.

Back