So Werdum isn't really the champ in Dana's eyes?

I dont get this at all, Cain lost decisively to Werdum and is getting an instant rematch. There was no controversial decision or finish. And on top of that you have guy on some solid win streak at HW

AA and Ben are on 3 fight win streaks, Miocic is 4/5. There are 3 worthy guys right there

i kind of had the feeling Werdum lost a lot of appeal (in Dana's eyes) with that JDS loss. Instantly fired. Probably never gonna get Dana's trust back.

Instant rematches are mostly BS. It paints a picture of a shallow division, which HW kind of is, but as you sad, some solid contenders are out there (Ben being the weakest). Also, why not JDS? Is he injured or sth?

I still don't understand why they don't bring Kharitonov in? The guy is a beast, lost only to worthy opponents and is a finisher (only decision win he has is over the current UFC champ).

it's because no matter how many times the CFO of the UFC crunches the numbers, it always come up with the highest net profit margins with Cain as the champion

whenever an action seems ridiculous, irrational or downright senseless to you --- think in profitability terms.... and it will make sense.

it doesn't even make sense in that matter.
Cain just lost and for his sake would need time to come back stronger, now would be the worst time for him to challenge Werdum again, if he losses, what's next for him?

Just about tired of Cain fighting the same guys over and over again.

must be in his contract that he doesnt fight new guys unless he had multiple fights with previous guys. JDS, BF, now Werdum.
Cain is the plague of HW division. just when things got interesting with several contenders worthy of the TS, we get this bullshit.

i kind of had the feeling Werdum lost a lot of appeal (in Dana's eyes) with that JDS loss. Instantly fired. Probably never gonna get Dana's trust back.

Instant rematches are mostly BS. It paints a picture of a shallow division, which HW kind of is, but as you sad, some solid contenders are out there (Ben being the weakest). Also, why not JDS? Is he injured or sth?

I still don't understand why they don't bring Kharitonov in? The guy is a beast, lost only to worthy opponents and is a finisher (only decision win he has is over the current UFC champ).

that fight was such a long time ago. and are you forgetting that JDS KOed Cain more recently? and did it faster than he KOed Werdum? and on FOX ffs. it was supposed to be a battle to show off MMA and UFC on FOX, and it ended so quickly. if anything, Dana should have never trusted Cain after that.

i kind of had the feeling Werdum lost a lot of appeal (in Dana's eyes) with that JDS loss. Instantly fired.

Werdum was never fired.

He left for a better contract.

that fight was such a long time ago. and are you forgetting that JDS KOed Cain more recently? and did it faster than he KOed Werdum? and on FOX ffs. it was supposed to be a battle to show off MMA and UFC on FOX, and it ended so quickly. if anything, Dana should have never trusted Cain after that.

That fight was long ago, but Werdum is far from a dominant fighter. He gets tagged a lot, frequently loses rounds...i mean, look at his fight with Big Foot and compare it with the two times Cain beat Silva. Cain has been a beast since he first started to fight, back in 2006. Destroyed JDS twice in a brutal fashion, something nobody else has been able to do until now.

This is so bad. I'd rather see him fight Struve, anyone on a win.

It is not uncommon for champions to have an immediate rematch clause in their contract. Dana said that both Anderson and Jose had such a clause, perhaps Cain had such a clause as well.

Werdum was never fired.

He left for a better contract.

Potato potahto. Immediatelly after the fight, they wanted to renegotiate his contract. Fired, or didn't accept their offer, same result. Call it what you want, he was out of the UFC following one loss to a future HW champ.

Since he has to beat Cain twice to really become the champ.

Even Hendricks who dropped a CONTROVERSIAL SPLIT decision had to beat two guys to get another ts. Just as Robbie who dropped a very close fight had to beat two guys to fight Hendricks again.

Barao who was considered #1 p4p and on a decade long winning streak had to beat at least one guy in order to get a rematch.

Anderson, the MW GOAT, a decade unbeaten got an immediate rematch because his first loss was considered flukey (that was also the reasoning given by DW) and well, he is Andy.

Hendo did not get an immediate rematch, neither does Pettis.

Immediate rematches should be reserved for larger than life champs (GSP, Andy, Aldo) or in case of controversial decisions.

Cain, and I love the guy, was no long reigning champ (two defenses), he didn't seem larger than life (was injured too often to be seen as really dominating his division) and he didn't lose in a close or controversial way.

So why? Does Werdum's first win just not count?
Maybe every case is different, and they have different reasons for who gets a rematch, and who does not.

I dont get this at all, Cain lost decisively to Werdum and is getting an instant rematch. There was no controversial decision or finish. And on top of that you have guy on some solid win streak at HW

AA and Ben are on 3 fight win streaks, Miocic is 4/5. There are 3 worthy guys right there

I would be far more excited for all three of those guys vs. Werdum than I am for this.

The only thing it matters is what its passport says.

Potato potahto. Immediatelly after the fight, they wanted to renegotiate his contract. Fired, or didn't accept their offer, same result. Call it what you want, he was out of the UFC following one loss to a future HW champ.

The idea s to not call it what you want, but to call it what it was which was Werdum exercising his free right to explore other offers and selecting one that provided the best value for him and his family. That isn't being fired no matter how much you want that dramatic element as part of your narrative.

I hope Cain wins, so we get to see a third fight. It just isn't fair that JDS is the only one to get to fight Cain three times.

I think Werdum takes the decider, and hopefully we get to see Cain back at his dominant best in the bounce back-fight against Bigfoot, which sets up an epic contenders match vs JDS.

This makes the most logic.

Even as a Cain fan, its obvious Dana wants a Mexican champ to continue trying to break that market.

Its funny how things turn out. When Cain beat Lesnar, Dana looked like he was gonna cry while putting the belt on Cain.

yeah, Barao passed out trying to make weight for his instant rematch...

Forget altitude, Cain is undefeated in the eastern hemisphere. Werdum VS Cain in Melbourne!

The idea s to not call it what you want, but to call it what it was which was Werdum exercising his free right to explore other offers and selecting one that provided the best value for him and his family. That isn't being fired no matter how much you want that dramatic element as part of your narrative.

All of us work for money. I see no shame in leaving for better offers. That said, there's no need to include the "his family" element or often quoted "put food on the table". I don't think anyone being paid 80k for a fight (that's base salary, no locker room or win bonuses) is making ends meet.

I don't need any dramatic elements. He had four fights on his contract. They offered him a (significant) pay cut. He refused and was released/let go/fired(opted out of signing, call it what you want. It's a typical tactic for the UFC if they want to release a fighter, to give him a pay cut, and subsequently, move him to the undercard.

I never once said i agree with Dana, i just stipulated what i think are the reasons he's treating Werdum somewhat poorly. I have nothing but respect for Werdum, starting training at 26yo, and always improving on all his aspects. Submitting the holy trinity of HW fighters (Nog, Cain and Fedor). Fighter aside, he seems like a honest person, and genuinely a good guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back