So Werdum isn't really the champ in Dana's eyes?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by The Accuser, Aug 13, 2015.

1. The Accuser

The Accuser Brown Belt

Since he has to beat Cain twice to really become the champ.

Even Hendricks who dropped a CONTROVERSIAL SPLIT decision had to beat two guys to get another ts. Just as Robbie who dropped a very close fight had to beat two guys to fight Hendricks again.

Barao who was considered #1 p4p and on a decade long winning streak had to beat at least one guy in order to get a rematch.

Anderson, the MW GOAT, a decade unbeaten got an immediate rematch because his first loss was considered flukey (that was also the reasoning given by DW) and well, he is Andy.

Hendo did not get an immediate rematch, neither does Pettis.

Immediate rematches should be reserved for larger than life champs (GSP, Andy, Aldo) or in case of controversial decisions.

Cain, and I love the guy, was no long reigning champ (two defenses), he didn't seem larger than life (was injured too often to be seen as really dominating his division) and he didn't lose in a close or controversial way.

So why? Does Werdum's first win just not count?

2. JKS

JKS 77+&--#rT....

I dont get this at all, Cain lost decisively to Werdum and is getting an instant rematch. There was no controversial decision or finish. And on top of that you have guy on some solid win streak at HW

AA and Ben are on 3 fight win streaks, Miocic is 4/5. There are 3 worthy guys right there

3. Drake

Drake Guest

He wants Cain to get KO'd again.

4. Jack Frost

Jack Frost Orange Belt

It's a horrible fight, plain and simple.

It seems that the UFC doesn't want Werdum to be champ, which I find preposterous. He has two markets (Brazil and Mexico) in the pocket and could reach Americans with the right promotion (he speaks English now!). He's charismatic, a fan favorite, has beaten the who's who in HW, being thus very promotable.

Yet the UFC apparently really likes Cain. I don't get it.

5. sadclown

sadclown Banned Banned

it's because no matter how many times the CFO of the UFC crunches the numbers, it always come up with the highest net profit margins with Cain as the champion

whenever an action seems ridiculous, irrational or downright senseless to you --- think in profitability terms.... and it will make sense.

6. xP

xP Red Belt

Werdum is only the champion at altitude. It's like having a regional championship.

This is a elevation unification fight.

7. SlomiGa

SlomiGa MMAathmetician

Is normal. Cain will get choked the fuck out again.

8. Szwok

Szwok Brown Belt

horrible match making. No one asked for a rematch but cain. If cain wins we get get Cain vs Werdum 3. If he loses he will never get a TS vs Werdum again. Its a lose lose situation for Cain Werdum and the whole HW division. As someone mentioned before there are some guys with streaks worthy of a TS. Its pure stalling.

9. kumitechamp

kumitechamp Green Belt

if werdum wins again in the same fashion and shows the same respect to mexico he will gain tons of fans. no one cried when anderson got completely outclassed in 1st round and ko'd in second yet got an immediate rematch. Got outclassed in the rematch and people still wanted another rematch.

10. mangokush

mangokush Brown Belt

Seems the UFC was its champions to be legit as WWE.

11. The Accuser

The Accuser Brown Belt

If Cain wins this time will they make an immediate (well 2017) trilogy?

Or will they go all blatant and deny Werdum what they are giving Cain thus making it obvious that they do have an agenda who they want as champ. Ofc, that would be no surprise (Mexican market etc) but in my eyes it would damage the legitimacy of the sport more than a lot of other recent decisions. A league should never be seen as too biased.

12. The Accuser

The Accuser Brown Belt

Andy was larger than life, certain figures might be seen as deserving immediate rematches (think GSP, Aldo, maybe even Jones had he lost). Also, many people considered the first loss flukey, Dana said it was just "because Anderson was fukcing around".

13. ivory suit

ivory suit Purple Belt

The sad thing is, I think Cain wins the rematch, he'll be champ again soon and probably take a year off due to injury

14. loisestrad

loisestrad Gold Belt Platinum Member

I hope Cain wins, so we get to see a third fight. It just isn't fair that JDS is the only one to get to fight Cain three times.

I think Werdum takes the decider, and hopefully we get to see Cain back at his dominant best in the bounce back-fight against Bigfoot, which sets up an epic contenders match vs JDS.

15. bearVSshark

bearVSshark Braf Zachland

Dana white doesn't want the guy who beat fedor as champ? He isn't petty

16. moonwolf

moonwolf Dalton's Roadhouse Beef Rib Eating Champion

AA is fighting Mir and Ben is fighting Stipe. the winners of those fights are next in line along with the winner of overeem/jds.

Cain probably has an automatic rematch clause in his contract considering he had been champion for so long. if anything, cain can/probably did use the altitude as an excuse with dana and wants to test himself 1 more time against werdum to prove to himself and everyone else that the loss was a fluke (likely his reasoning, not mine).

i am actually more excited about the contenders fights than the title rematch, and thats not a bad thing.

17. johncola

johncola Red Belt

I think they're in danger of devaluing champions' losses, and thus devaluing title fights overall. They don't mean as much if they're just 1 half of a series of 2 fights. If a champion loses, it isn't necessarily over for them since they have a decent chance of fighting for the title again right away.

18. George Jetson

George Jetson Orange Belt

IMO this rematch must take place in Denver or Tibet.

Cain must prove he's not limited to winning fights at "sea level".

The UFC can't have a sea level champ.

19. BrainCandy

BrainCandy Purple Belt

The thing is, Werdum is STILL a bad match-up for Cain. He has the striking chops to hang with Cain on the feet and the BJJ to finish the fight from the back. I picked him in the first fight for that reason and god willing, he finishes Cain again.

20. CELS

CELS Brown Belt

Are we talking about the same UFC that gave Alexander Gustafsson a title shot after a loss? Yeah, they don't give a fuck about legitimate title shots anymore. They only care about which fights make more money. Meanwhile, there are legit #1 contenders being ignored fight after fight, and they have no choice except nodding and smiling.

MMA never be a legit sport when the top organization makes fights based on Dana White's whims. The belt basically means that you're probably somewhere in the top 10 of your division, it's not in any way an indication that you're the best.