So was this the best MMA event ever? I think it was.

Who has ever called Fedor/Crocop the best fight ever? Most anticipated HW fight, sure. But the fight itself wasn't an all-time great showing. They were pretty hesitant and clearly respected each other a little too much.

not exactly. i mean yeah, they weren't going 100 miles an hour all fight long. but when they committed on their attacks, they did go 100%. either of them would have been dumb to go berserk attack-mode at the outset. the first round is one of the greatest rounds of all-time. as the fight went on, fedor began to establish control and began figuring crocop out. still an all-time great fight.

Last edited:
lol, just out of curiosity: what's your av all about?
I lost a bet. The two douches are Modern Talking, the gayest band on earth.

I made this av to humiliate @hardcoreBE, now I‘m eating my own work.

If only Stephens took that liver shot and kept standing...

Pride Shockwave 2004

Fedor Emelianenko (c) def. Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira (ic) Decision (Unanimous) 3 5:00
Mark Hunt def. Wanderlei Silva Decision (Split) 3 5:00
Takanori Gomi def. Jens Pulver KO (Punch) 1 6:21
Dan Henderson def. Yuki Kondo Decision (Split) 3 5:00
Mirko Cro Cop def. Kevin Randleman Submission (Guillotine Choke) 1 0:41
Rulon Gardner def. Hidehiko Yoshida Decision (Unanimous) 3 5:00
Makoto Takimoto def. Henry Miller Decision (Unanimous) 3 5:00
Ryo Chonan def. Anderson Silva Submission (Flying Scissor Heel Hook) 3 3:08
Ryan Gracie def. Yoji Anjo Submission (Armbar) 1 8:33
Mu Bae Choi def. Paulo Cesar Silva Submission (Arm Triangle Choke) 1 5:47
Ikuhisa Minowa def. Stefan Leko Submission (Heel Hook) 1 0:27

View attachment 420209

came in to say this, I think Shockwave 04 was best event ever.

I think Critical Countdown 05 and Final Conflict 05 were top notch. I think The 03 MWGP was unreal too though.

05 Shockwave is great as well to be quite honest. Mirko vs Hunt, Wanderlei vs Arona, Fedor vs Zulu. lol

I lost a bet. The two douches are Modern Talking, the gayest band on earth.

I made this av to humiliate @hardcoreBE, now I‘m eating my own work.

If only Stephens took that liver shot and kept standing...

oh haha, ok gotcha.

UFC 100 as far as the peak of UFC went. As far as quality, probably a pride card.

You're mostly dead on but you're overstating tank somewhat hardcore. I don't really remember too many people thinking he was still dangerous then.

He was still pretty legit back in 1998 maybe but for sure not 2005. I still loved watching Tank because of the old school brawler type but that was about it. Tank was great vs brawlers but once people with some kind of skill showed up he was done.

UFC 40 was pretty solid.

Ultimate Ultimate 96 is one of my favorite tournaments to watch. It was like a Tank highlight reel.

Fedor vs. Igor in their primes would have been epic.

GOAT mma card. GOAT mma HW fight. Still currently the greatest mma event ever to date.

-End Thread-

Who has ever called Fedor/Crocop the best fight ever? Most anticipated HW fight, sure. But the fight itself wasn't an all-time great showing. They were pretty hesitant and clearly respected each other a little too much.

This here. BTW, I own this final conflict as well as the first round, and have watched it a number of times. Many better events. There was huge buildup of excitement leading into this event, but not all of the fights are really all that exciting. Arona vs Wanderlei and Fedor vs Crocop are pretty boring and not worth a second viewing.

My favorite Pride events are a few of the Bushidos (7, 9, 10) and Pride 32, off the top of my head.

UFC 22 was the best for me. It was in my backyard practically. It was a who's who if fighters before they became legends. Tickets were cheap too. Just look at these names....

Main Card

Weight class
Method Round Time Notes
Middleweight Frank Shamrock (c) def. Tito Ortiz Submission (punches) 4 4:42 [a]
Lightweight Jens Pulver vs. Alfonso Alcarez Draw 3 5:00 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_22#cite_note-2
Heavyweight Brad Kohler def. Steve Judson KO (punch) 1 0:30
Heavyweight Tim Lajcik vs. Ron Waterman Draw 3 5:00 [c]
Lightweight John Lewis def. Lowell Anderson TKO (corner stoppage) 3 0:13
Lightweight Matt Hughes def. Valeri Ignatov Decision (unanimous) 3 5:00 [d]
Heavyweight Jeremy Horn def. Jason Godsey Submission (armlock) 1 2:08
Middleweight Chuck Liddell def. Paul Jones TKO (cut) 1 3:53

Final Conflict. Appropriately named, since PRIDE wasn't long for this world when it happened.

This here. BTW, I own this final conflict as well as the first round, and have watched it a number of times. Many better events. There was huge buildup of excitement leading into this event, but not all of the fights are really all that exciting. Arona vs Wanderlei and Fedor vs Crocop are pretty boring and not worth a second viewing.

My favorite Pride events are a few of the Bushidos (7, 9, 10) and Pride 32, off the top of my head.
I’m surprised you would say Fedor vs Cro Cop was boring and not worth a second viewing. I disagree 120%.

Fedor vs. CroCop had insane mystique. During the first round at any moment either fighter could be knocked dead. Fedor could explode with looping punches or CroCop could kick your head into the crowd. Also how quiet it was with all those people made it eerie.

Strangely, my favorite Pride event was not one with the best card, it was the one where Dana White came over, back when he had hair, and brought Liddell with him, saying they were going to prove the UFC could hang with Pride.(Back when everyone knew Pride had the best fighters)

Dana sat in commentary during the Liddell/Rampage fight for Pride and you could hear his excitement fade and his tone get solemn as he realized Chuck was getting his ass handed to him in standup by Rampage.

Also, we got to see a Final where Wanderlei hit Rampage with like 17 knees to the face + Soccer kicks in a row before the ref stopped it standing

I’m surprised you would say Fedor vs Cro Cop was boring and not worth a second viewing. I disagree 120%.

Fedor vs. CroCop had insane mystique. During the first round at any moment either fighter could be knocked dead. Fedor could explode with looping punches or CroCop could kick your head into the crowd. Also how quite it was with all those people made it eerie.

I feel the same way about fights like Shogun va Machida I, Jones vs Gustuffson.... Epic when they happened, but a little boring when removed from their context.

I guess not everyone here knows all the fighters on the card, let alone where they stood at that time, but in 2005 this card happened; best fighters of that time, some of the best fights ever (Emelianenko Cro cop not even the main event), and most of the fighters at their absolute prime. Also a tournament with semi-finals and a final on the same date.

We had:

Shogun - Arona
Fedor - Cro cop
Yoshida - Tank Abbott
Werdum - Zentsov
Shogun (yes again) - Overeem
Arona (yes again) - Wanderlei
Nakamura - Vovchanchyn

For those who missed that era: there was a tournament with Shogun, Arona, Overeem and Wanderlei. Shogun won.

We had Fedor - Cro cop, considered the best fight ever until recently

We had Tank (then still considered a VERY dangerous legend being choked out by Yoshida

We had Vovchanchyn (if you don't know him google him, seriously a GOAT contender almost never mentioned) being choked out by Nakamura.

Best event ever imo.

Pride%20Final%20Conflict%2020052.jpg

Pride FC: Grand Prix 2000 - Finals

Openweight final
Weight class

Method Round Time Notes
Openweight Mark Coleman def. Igor Vovchanchyn Submission (knees) 2 3:09 [a]
Superfight
Superfight Ken Shamrock def. Alexander Otsuka KO (punches) 1 9:43 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_in_Pride_FC#cite_note-7
Openweight Semi-finals
Openweight Igor Vovchanchyn def. Kazushi Sakuraba TKO (corner stoppage) 1 15:00
Openweight Mark Coleman def. Kazuyuki Fujita TKO (corner stoppage) 1 0:02 [c]
Openweight Quarter-finals
Openweight Igor Vovchanchyn def. Gary Goodridge TKO (punches) 1 10:14
Openweight Kazushi Sakuraba def. Royce Gracie TKO (corner stoppage) 6 15:00 [d]
Openweight Mark Coleman def. Akira Shoji Unanimous decision

Openweight Kazuyuki Fujita def. Mark Kerr Unanimous decision

Other

Guy Mezger def. Masaaki Satake Unanimous decision

Fedor vs Cro Cop still the biggest fight of all time even if Khabib vs Conor happens...
Biggest as in most anticipated by hardcore fans and Sherdog. It's not close to the biggest ever.

I've personally never watched a more top to bottom thrilling card with higher quality fights and awesome finishes than UFC 217.

I was at UFC 189 and it was amazing but the prelims sucked

Back