So was this the best MMA event ever? I think it was.

Grijswaarde

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I guess not everyone here knows all the fighters on the card, let alone where they stood at that time, but in 2005 this card happened; best fighters of that time, some of the best fights ever (Emelianenko Cro cop not even the main event), and most of the fighters at their absolute prime. Also a tournament with semi-finals and a final on the same date.

We had:

Shogun - Arona
Fedor - Cro cop
Yoshida - Tank Abbott
Werdum - Zentsov
Shogun (yes again) - Overeem
Arona (yes again) - Wanderlei
Nakamura - Vovchanchyn

For those who missed that era: there was a tournament with Shogun, Arona, Overeem and Wanderlei. Shogun won.

We had Fedor - Cro cop, considered the best fight ever until recently

We had Tank (then still considered a VERY dangerous legend being choked out by Yoshida

We had Vovchanchyn (if you don't know him google him, seriously a GOAT contender almost never mentioned) being choked out by Nakamura.

Best event ever imo.

Pride%20Final%20Conflict%2020052.jpg

I used to have this dvd. Quite possibly the GOAT MMA event

YES.

I remember the UFC event with Lawler-Rory and McGregor-Mendes was awesome, but still can’t compare to Final Conflict. I wish I had watched it live.

Nah UFC 200 was better when the wrestling dude beat up that fat guy lmao.

Who has ever called Fedor/Crocop the best fight ever? Most anticipated HW fight, sure. But the fight itself wasn't an all-time great showing. They were pretty hesitant and clearly respected each other a little too much.

It was epic, looking back on it I’m still upset Tank lost to Yoshida lol.

Who has ever called Fedor/Crocop the best fight ever? Most anticipated HW fight, sure. But the fight itself wasn't an all-time great showing. They were pretty hesitant and clearly respected each other a little too much.
Well i have to agree with you it wasn't, so we cool, but for SURE a LOT of people did.

Fedor vs Cro Cop still the biggest fight of all time even if Khabib vs Conor happens...

You're mostly dead on but you're overstating tank somewhat hardcore. I don't really remember too many people thinking he was still dangerous then.

Man I wish Rizin gets as big as Pride was one day. Unfortunately wasnt an MMA fan back then. Watching a high caliber MMA card live while not fucking up my whole sleeping schedule would be something totally new for me (am from europe).

Vovchanchyn could easily be considered the GOAT of 20th century MMA

Just because I was there and it was my first live UFC event. And it was a good one at that.

89CC40FF-3D6E-4DBA-BA03-95AC30146BDD.jpeg

Pride Shockwave 2004

Fedor Emelianenko (c) def. Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira (ic) Decision (Unanimous) 3 5:00
Mark Hunt def. Wanderlei Silva Decision (Split) 3 5:00
Takanori Gomi def. Jens Pulver KO (Punch) 1 6:21
Dan Henderson def. Yuki Kondo Decision (Split) 3 5:00
Mirko Cro Cop def. Kevin Randleman Submission (Guillotine Choke) 1 0:41
Rulon Gardner def. Hidehiko Yoshida Decision (Unanimous) 3 5:00
Makoto Takimoto def. Henry Miller Decision (Unanimous) 3 5:00
Ryo Chonan def. Anderson Silva Submission (Flying Scissor Heel Hook) 3 3:08
Ryan Gracie def. Yoji Anjo Submission (Armbar) 1 8:33
Mu Bae Choi def. Paulo Cesar Silva Submission (Arm Triangle Choke) 1 5:47
Ikuhisa Minowa def. Stefan Leko Submission (Heel Hook) 1 0:27

51WX6Z4ET5L._SY445_.jpg

I guess not everyone here knows all the fighters on the card, let alone where they stood at that time, but in 2005 this card happened; best fighters of that time, some of the best fights ever (Emelianenko Cro cop not even the main event), and most of the fighters at their absolute prime. Also a tournament with semi-finals and a final on the same date.

We had:

Shogun - Arona
Fedor - Cro cop
Yoshida - Tank Abbott
Werdum - Zentsov
Shogun (yes again) - Overeem
Arona (yes again) - Wanderlei
Nakamura - Vovchanchyn

For those who missed that era: there was a tournament with Shogun, Arona, Overeem and Wanderlei. Shogun won.

We had Fedor - Cro cop, considered the best fight ever until recently

We had Tank (then still considered a VERY dangerous legend being choked out by Yoshida

We had Vovchanchyn (if you don't know him google him, seriously a GOAT contender almost never mentioned) being choked out by Nakamura.

Best event ever imo.

Pride%20Final%20Conflict%2020052.jpg

yeah, it's hard to argue with that one. even back then, people knew it was a big deal. with time, it grows even more in legend.

Fedor vs Cro Cop still the biggest fight of all time even if Khabib vs Conor happens...
In terms of skill and fighter's greatness - Jones vs Cormier by a landslide. Can't even decide which one of the two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back