So wait, why can't Jones fight at HW again?

nfl_g_saban_gb1_576.jpg

Exactly. Its not as easy as some think

While I would LOVE to see Bones compete at HW, I do not hold it against him if he doesn't. The jump from LHW to HW is like no other weight class change. Jones is having no issues making 205 so more power to him.

Now, let's assume he does take a HW fight. Why does it have to be JDS or Cain, exactly? He shouldn't ks the answer. Remember when Silva moved to LHW to fight perennial top tier LHW contender James Irvin? IF Bones decides he wants to test the HW waters, I have no issues with him taking on a lower tiered opponent. Schaub, Gonzaga, Mitrione, Jordan, etc. OR maybe even at 6-10 type like Hunt or Nelson or Mir. Just my thoughts.

Now everybody who says jones isn't best ever and can't kick anyone' ass is just a blind hater. Go figure

Jones weighed 214lbs for his fight with vitor.

He has the height but not the frame for HW, he also lacks HW power.

Velasquez would be the worst match up jones could ask for

every champion could make the next weight class [except Cain]....lame thread and shitty argument

Because he will get wrecked. Gustaffson showed how terrible Jones' defense really is when he doesn't have a massive reach advantage. Against someone like JDS, he might die.

If you think Jones wouldn't get an instant title shot if he moved to HW today, you are the craziest person to ever post on Sherdog--and that's saying something.

Getting an instant title shot would be murder after that debacle we watched against Gus. I seriously had my doubts about the physique being the issue. But it made it blatantly obvious why Jon has been dominating the shit out of people. He's got the torso of a goddamn heavyweight, and the legs of a middleweight. All with 812312" reach. I'd even be willing to bet his chin can absorb more punishment (from lighter weights) than most as a result. Anyways, anyways. It just sounds like I'm hating.

Point is. Gus made it obvious he himself probably has Jon's number because of a larger LHW physique. All the more reason why WHOEVER happens to be the HW champ, Cain or JDS, would absolutely destroy Jon and his weird sitting duck reaction to getting hit in the face. Like probably black QWOP or something. You know what I'm talking about.

qwop.jpg

He has the height but not the frame for HW, he also lacks HW power.

Although I agree with the general tone of the thread at this point, lets keep it real. Jones has a huge frame, longer reach than most HW's (if not all), taller, and more coordinated. He's not even known for his "power" at LHW. He had one fight against another person bigger than most HW's and we say he can't even compete.

Yeah, Cain - JDS roll him at this point, but I don't think people really know the dimensions of fighters. Jones is flippin huge. I think he's bigger than Overeem was when he was a LHW.

The real question is "Why Should He Fight At HW?"If it aint broke don't fix it he's doing great at LHW and with a potential rematch in the future with Gus plus his next fight with Glover why should he move to HW?

He "could" do it. Its just an uphill battle. I fought at 82 kilos in the heavyweight division (Japan) with most everyone at 100+ kilos. I did ok in the tournament and felt like everyone was moving soooo slow. Then I took a solid body shot and my whole body literally moved two feet to the left. In retrospect it felt like a race car vs a train. Its all fast and furious until you get broadsided.

JDS or Cain can KO bigger opponents with one shot standing. Jones doesn't have that type of power, and unless he can drag the fight to the ground, his only option is to be a point fighter because there is no way he's pulling off a standing guillotine on a bigger guy.

If they were LHW Champs they would stay at LHW too. They prolly would come down too if they could....Let Jones enjoy it while he can. He will have to move up in a year or two....his brothers are both 250 lbs + so I would bet he gets to at least that for HW fights.

Jones has Forrest Syndrome, big enough to be a HW but Lacks the power.....

Back