So wait, why can't Jones fight at HW again?

Sickplicity

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So let me get one thing straight.

So Cain Velasquez can fight guys like Brock Lesnar & Bigfoot Silva, both of whom weighed most likely 275+ on fight night while Cain only weighed 240 for each bout & I doubt he really cuts any weight at all, which left him at a 35+ pound disadvantage & he absolutely decimated both of them.

Even JDS, fought Mark Hunt, Shane Carwin & Frank Mir & he decimated all of them as well while only weighing 239, while Hunt, Carwin & Mir were 250+ on fight night.

& Jones is most likely walking around at 225 which is only 15 pound less than Cain say come fight night.

How come Jones can't compete with with Cain?

I mean, look at Cormier he was 235 while Mir was 257 come fight night & Cormier handled him like nothing. He did the same to Josh Barnett as well who most likely weighs a little more than Mir & in each bout he was at a 20 pound disadvantage.

Jon Jones is an elite fighter & so is Alexander Gustafsson, these guys could probably be competitive with the HW's.

I feel like everybody's blind anger for Jones is the reason why everybody doubts him on these boards. Get a grip of yourself, he's one of the best talents the sport has ever seen along w/ Gustafsson.

Jones has the natural talent & Gustafsson is a hard worker, they both showed in their recent fight on how far natural talent & hard work can get you but they're both just spectacular fighters & I think they can hold their own in HW. Just my two cents.

You just said it.

Cain manhandles people that are bigger, Jones manhandles people that are smaller

Watch Bones-Gustafsson again, and pretend Gus is Junior Dos Santos.

They'd be ranked 5-7 in the Hw division. Neither would touch gold. They would be lucky to even get the opportunity

fear to certain extent imo. he'd have to climb the ladder all over again.

fear to certain extent imo. he'd have to climb the ladder all over again.

If you think Jones wouldn't get an instant title shot if he moved to HW today, you are the craziest person to ever post on Sherdog--and that's saying something.

Your question makes no fucking sense... He can fight at HW.

Instead you meant to (snidely) ask, "Why doesn't he fight at HW?"

Well, for starters, he has this giant gold belt that says Light Heavyweight Champion on it. So he probably likes that belt and wants to hold on to for a long time. I think this is pretty damn obvious.

Also, he has stated that he's still growing, and wouldn't mind fighting at HW one day. So I fail to understand your snark. You sound upset or something. I don't get you.

Let me guess, you're hurt that he said something about Cain. You know who isn't hurt about that?

Mother Fucking Cain.

JDS or Cain can KO bigger opponents with one shot standing. Jones doesn't have that type of power, and unless he can drag the fight to the ground, his only option is to be a point fighter because there is no way he's pulling off a standing guillotine on a bigger guy.

They'd be ranked 5-7 in the Hw division. Neither would touch gold. They would be lucky to even get the opportunity

I bet you can't name 5 current UFC HWs that are better than Jones at any major aspect of MMA, let alone better overall fighters. There are not 5 better strikers in the HW division, there are not 5 better wrestlers, and there are not 5 better grapplers. Prove me wrong.

gustafsson-lands-uppercut-on-jon-jones-shad-face-jones-face_zps8d362dba.jpg

Well he can, I just doubt he'd have as much success. Plus, weight stops being such a big differential around the 250lb mark, it's all about the proportion.

If you think Jones wouldn't get an instant title shot if he moved to HW today, you are the craziest person to ever post on Sherdog--and that's saying something.

Chael and Frankie Edgar agree.

Let me get this straight; in your OP you state JDS and Cain both regularly decimate guys much bigger and stronger than Bones, then ask why Bones can't fight at HW, really asking why most don't think he'd have success fighting at HW. That the size of it?

I'd be interested in seeing Jones fight at HW if he becomes unable to make 205. My guess is he'd do fairly well, but wouldn't be as dominant as he is at LHW. I don't really see him being HW champ, but it would be pretty crazy if he proved me wrong.

Gus would have beaten all but 2 or 3 heavyweights that night and he couldn't beat Jones.

He could, but he would get his ass kicked.

Jones is a LHW who never had any problem to cut weight. He is tall, that

Jones struggles with guys his size / or bigger. Gus fucked up his face... now imagine what would happen against JDS or Velasquez.

Back