So ultimately, "Bad Blood" was really just a bad fight.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by BullyKutta, Jan 3, 2015.

1. BullyKutta

BullyKutta Orange Belt

Pretty savvy (borderline Machiavellian) media manipulation this go around, but it didn't even leave the option of a rematch open due to the lopsided nature of the bout. No one is going to be clamoring for DC/Jones II. This was apparently the "biggest fight in the history of MMA" (paraphrasing Rogan), but it wasn't even close.

It's the nature of the promotion beast, but the big takeaway from this is that the gulf between the 'promotion' side and the legitimate 'fighter stat' side of this sport is about to increase substantially if the PPV buythrough rumors are true.

In other words, prepare for phony Bellator style 'rivalries' to start becoming the norm no matter how cringe inducing they are.

You can rest assured that Dana and company are taking notes.

2. Nelly

Nelly Black Belt

Why are you surprised by the pre fight hype? Almost every upcoming fight is the "biggest fight in the history of the sport." Dana said that this PPV did 750K+ buys and if it did then the promotion did its job right.

3. Natman2939

Natman2939 Gold Belt

In a small town, in a big country, on a floating o
    Remind me again when two fighters with such amazing pedigrees fought each other?

WTF are you babbling about?

Look, due to the fact that this is real fighting and not scripted.. no one can know whether or not a fight is going to be exciting or not or competitive or not.

That's not false advertising or media manipulation. That's simply the fact that no one has a crystal ball that sees into the future.

On paper: This was one of the biggest fights ever. One of the three leading UFC GOAT candidates vs a guy who was a top 3 (if not top 2) HW who dropped down to LHW and was still undefeated (with multiple wins over top heavyweights)

There's not even the slightest sniff of phony hype to the Jones/Cormier fight. The hype was warranted, but as with all fights, RESULTS may vary.

sometimes it's the opposite, sometimes fights that nobody thinks are going to be good turn into wars. It's just the nature of the beast.

PS: With all that said, this wasn't exactly Jones/Sonnen... Cormier put up a good fight. Not Gustafsson level good but arguably took two rounds (round 2 on one judges card and round 3 on another judges card)

Not everything can be Hunt vs Bigfoot or Shogun vs Hendo back and forth crazy wars.. and the day everything turns into that is when you know that the fights are being rigged.

4. DhalpsdaDocta

DhalpsdaDocta Blue Belt

Both fighters are so talented that they negated each other to some extent...yea if you put Jones in their with an amatuer he will destory him in 1 min,,and you and the just bleed god will be pleased...This sport is about finding out who is the best

5. DyinHawaiian

DyinHawaiian #FEELTHEBERN

Where you at Georges? Where you at motherfucker?!
    It was a boring fight to many only because Jones won. I found it great.

If DC wrestlefucked Jones for 25 minutes, 60% of Sherdog would have called it fight of the year.

6. mesonray

mesonray White Belt

DC gassed out and his corner was still hell bent on trying to score take downs. That was not the best approach, his corner should've had a "plan b" instead of putting all of their eggs in one basket.

7. 107

107 Saku Belt

Just the same bullshit as usual. The fight was just better on paper. You are just easily manipulated.

8. TheRassler

TheRassler ---- L E G E N D A R Y --------- p4p GOAT poster

Not surprised at all, none of you should be either.

9. BabyBlue_Bomber

BabyBlue_Bomber Brown Belt

This.

10. Unicorn Princes

Unicorn Princes Banned Banned

I guess hype doesn't really indicate a good fight.

When JJ fought Gustaffson I didn't even think Gustaffson had a chance, and I was shocked at what happened. I think we all were. I think when you hype a fight there's always a gamble.

11. Ralo

Ralo Blue Belt

I've still got my eggs in the Diaz/Silva basket

12. BullyKutta

BullyKutta Orange Belt

You'd have a point if I shelled out the 60 bucks to pay for it, but I didn't (I've paid for fights in the past that seemed legitimately well balanced). This one I watched at a bar.

This card was clownshoe combat up and down, draped in an even thicker layer of bullshit than the UFC normally vomits up with its hype machine.

13. shedd45

shedd45 Brown Belt

I knew DC Wouldn't stand a chance.

14. jx820

jx820 Red Belt

It wasn't media control. It was genuinely bad blood. The fans themselves decided that DC was the chosen one. I heard more BS on these forums in the past few months about how Jones was just like Bigfoot and since DC knocked out a big guy once he could KO Jones... than I have heard in years.

DC always stood a chance at a big KO, but people were calling him the best striker Jones ever faced. Seriously calling him that.

It was wishful thinking.

15. 107

107 Saku Belt

So how can you call the promo "borderline machiavellian" if you saw it was just the same old unrefined in your face crap?